Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Illegal dumping of household waste

• 18-07-2013 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi,

I unfortunately have a problem whereby a van pulled up to the laneway beside our house on Monday and proceeded to dump a pile of household waste and a huge 4ft by 4ft plastic tank (I don't know what's in this).

My wife was in the house at the time with the two kids but was afraid to go out to confront the 3 men (you can guess) or even get a reg off the van. Neither did she think to call the police:mad:.

The laneway, while accessible, is not Council property so they won't touch it.

We are thinking a skip but in terms of health and safety I'm not sure we should be going near this waste, and on top of that there's the cost.

It's not even our land, I don't know who owns it if the Council don't.

Very angry at the moment

Advice on the waste problem appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The Council Community Wardens usually deal with this situation - at least they do in Enniscorthy - and there's no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Cheers, DCC are saying they won't touch it, it's not their property. By all accounts it seems to be a no mans land.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Try find out who owns the land from the Land Registry and take it from there

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Ended up getting a skip and filling it. Will look into the Land Registry

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

GK1001 wrote: »
    Hi,

I unfortunately have a problem whereby a van pulled up to the laneway beside our house on Monday and proceeded to dump a pile of household waste and a huge 4ft by 4ft plastic tank (I don't know what's in this).

My wife was in the house at the time with the two kids but was afraid to go out to confront the 3 men (you can guess) or even get a reg off the van. Neither did she think to call the police:mad:.

The laneway, while accessible, is not Council property so they won't touch it.

We are thinking a skip but in terms of health and safety I'm not sure we should be going near this waste, and on top of that there's the cost.

It's not even our land, I don't know who owns it if the Council don't.

Very angry at the moment

Advice on the waste problem appreciated

Sign on wall saying no dumping,CCTV in operation.

Dummy or real outdoor CCTV camera mounted high up on wall or a pole,but where it can be easily seen by any fly tippers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Your council may have the same sort of thing as this:

Information regarding illegal dumping and any other waste issues can be passed on in confidence to Mayo County Council on the Litter Hotline 1800 400 256

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Environment/ComplaintsandEnforcement/EnvironmentalEnforcement/

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

GK1001 wrote: »
    Ended up getting a skip and filling it. Will look into the Land Registry

Thanks

If the council aren't interested and you can't find the owner then annex that land!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

padraig.od wrote: »
    If the council aren't interested and you can't find the owner then annex that land!!!

Was thinking that myself

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

I recommend one of these cams http://scoutguard550.com/
    Low battery use and people are oblivious to them. They capture video or photos. Available on Amazon.
    Also next time get your wife to fire a volley of shots-great deterrent.

Advertisement