Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tar Éis na hUaire

2»

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

simu wrote:
    Yeah, the odd word of English or any other language is fine once most of the contents of a post are in Irish. So don't worry about it, folks!

Btw, cat in Irish actually comes from the Latin cattus and the word carr is an old Irish word meaning waggon or cart. In fact, the word car in English seems to be a borrowing from a Celtic language (according to dictionary.com anyways). So, cat and carr have been around for ages and ages. But certainly, Irish has borrowed many words from English - unsurprising given the proximity of England and the global strength of English nowadays.

Haha - being pedantic on AH is great! :)
    Shup simu. I knew that. It was a test to see how good the co-mods are. You passed. Comhghairdeas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Dropping religion instead would make far more sense.

Changing the way both are taught is a better idea I think.

I don't believe Irish should be expelled from the curriculum, but I do believe Religion is a more important international subject. Its a pitty its gone straight to the dogs in our system and looked upon as if a doss class, or something best left well enough alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Dropping religion instead would make far more sense.

both are equaly pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

nesf wrote:
    I've no idea if that's possible. Though, there are good reasons for spelling out who mods a place at the bottom of a forum.

ask the powers that be to change the table width's if you shrink the forum title column a bit and increase the column where the moderator names are then you will save loads of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

jaggeh wrote:
    ask the powers that be to change the table width's if you shrink the forum title column a bit and increase the column where the moderator names are then you will save loads of space.

Wouldn't it be a site-wide change though? (Bear in mind that I really know almost nothing about this kind of stuff). ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I believe you can edit iindividual fora like that in VB, not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hold Alt Gr and type a vowel. If that doesn't work, copy and paste one of thir vowels. You can Also do it with ASCII codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

nesf wrote:
    Wouldn't it be a site-wide change though? (Bear in mind that I really know almost nothing about this kind of stuff). ;)

Yup!

The only way around it is to make AH use a different theme where the templates have been altered.

Only gripe there is that there is a good number of people that have a different theme set rather than the default white.

There may be other complicated ways by using conditionals for either settings used in the usercp or by usergroup.

• Advertisement

There are ways, I have no idea of how to write vbulletin yet though.
    Easy?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Peasy.

Oh, I get it. Haw haw. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So if there's an Irish-only subforum in AH, does this mean we can ban people posting in Irish in AH itself? Fair's Fair, after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

So if there's an Irish-only subforum in AH, does this mean we can ban people posting in Irish in AH itself? Fair's Fair, after all...

If people start posting threads here solely in Irish then they will be moved, as they have always been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So if you post in English in the Irish forum, you get banned from both forums, but if you do the opposite, your post just gets moved? Ah, nothing like equitable language policies. Takes me back to my school days.

It's because the fora have different reasons for existing.

Advertisement