Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

Hi, I have an old £1 coin from 94 here and normally I wouldn't be too bothered but this one has a strange edge on it. There are dots going down the side. I'm just wondering if it's worth anything, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ow9654

Hi, I have an old £1 coin from 94 here and normally I wouldn't be too bothered but this one has a strange edge on it. There are dots going down the side. I'm just wondering if it's worth anything, thanks.

That is a so called engrailed edge. It is not rare I'm afraid.
    An edge without those is worth a good bit more though.
    http://www.irishcoinage.com/DECCAT.HTM
    Hope this helps
    Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

A near 40 year old £5 note is worth £2.79 more today. I've just checked my trusty drinks prices chart for the last century and a pint of Guinness in 1975 cost 26p. So the buying power of the fiver then was approx. 20 pints.

Now for €10 worth it's around two.

Moral of the story? Unless you've a unique mint unusual collector's item don't bother holding onto your money, it's much better spent on a good pint whatever the price.

BTW if anyone can suggest a current item worth hoarding for the future let me know....... maybe even start a trend by saying oh, let's see - since the arrival of the new €5 note maybe one of the old ones in uncirculated condition.

Your turn........;)

ORrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the bagged €5 in coins issued before the Euro came on stream......................

Come on Everybody ..Think!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RosieP

Hi

While tidying up some old paperwork I found a £20 Lady Lavery note dated 24/03/76. It does have a number written in biro on the front of the note, but is in good condition other than that. Would anyone be able to tell me an approximate valuation?

Thanks in advance

RosieP wrote: »
    Hi

While tidying up some old paperwork I found a £20 Lady Lavery note dated 24/03/76. It does have a number written in biro on the front of the note, but is in good condition other than that. Would anyone be able to tell me an approximate valuation?

Thanks in advance

Hard to tell without pictures but I would say €50 minimum €90 maximum (again hard to tell exactly without pictures)
    Lucky to find such a thing while cleaning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 RosieP

ow9654 wrote: »
    Hard to tell without pictures but I would say €50 minimum €90 maximum (again hard to tell exactly without pictures)
    Lucky to find such a thing while cleaning :)

Thank you. It was a nice surprise, added a little excitement to the tidying :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LylaElise

Would anyone happen to know the value of a 1918 Australian 6 pence?

Just looking on ebay and a few are selling for a couple of hundred euro!?

The one I have seems to be in really good condition. I don't really know anything about coin collecting, I'm not sure about grading but the one I have you can make out every little detail...

Thanks for any help :)

LylaElise wrote: »
    Would anyone happen to know the value of a 1918 Australian 6 pence?

Just looking on ebay and a few are selling for a couple of hundred euro!?

The one I have seems to be in really good condition. I don't really know anything about coin collecting, I'm not sure about grading but the one I have you can make out every little detail...

Thanks for any help :)

You are correct, the 1918 sixpence had a lower mintage than the rest.
    Value depends on condition, would need pictures to give a proper value, €50 I believe would be the absolute minimum you would get, so around €70 would sound right for yours. To get hundreds the coin would need to be perfect and when you go into the hundreds the collectors are very fussy about grading.

But if you want a proper value post pictures or a link to them and I will have a look for ya.

Hope this helps
    Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dempz131

I've a old irish half penny coin from 1971 I was wondering can someone tell me if it is worth anything ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Dempz131 wrote: »
    I've a old irish half penny coin from 1971 I was wondering can someone tell me if it is worth anything ??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xirish+1971+halfpenny&_nkw=irish+1971+halfpenny&_sacat=0&_from=R40

No. Sorry. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Dempz131

What about a 20p coin with a horse on it from 1988 ???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ireland-1988-Good-Grade-20p-Twenty-Pence-Hunter-Horse-Irish-Coin-/251466264226?pt=UK_Coins_European_RL&hash=item3a8c8eaea2

Can you not type eBay into your search bar?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You might get 20c for it in excellent condition; otherwise its worth about a cent - as its face value rounded up.

Might get about a euro in excelletion condition otherwise, about 25 cent face value.

Conventional circulated coins are rarely worth much under any circumstances. The only "normal" coins worth anything significantly above face value are the 10 shillings from 1966 which even then aren't fantastically highly valued.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ladymayo

I am wondering whats the value of a uncirculated Douglas Hyde 50 pound replacement note dated 14-02-96? i have heard these are a very rare banknote. I would be grateful for any information on this. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

Unc value is €450. expect to get approx €400.

Thank you for your reply, a friend of mine purchased 1 of these on the internet paying over 200 pound thinking he was paying in euros which ended to be a lot more. So at least they will get their money back on this item? Where would be the best place to resell it and is there any site or place you can get a value for bank notes?. Thanks

ladymayo wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply, a friend of mine purchased 1 of these on the internet paying over 200 pound thinking he was paying in euros which ended to be a lot more. So at least they will get their money back on this item? Where would be the best place to resell it and is there any site or place you can get a value for bank notes?. Thanks

If it's the one from Ebay that sold yesterday for £200.05 then it is not worth that. The one on ebay was described as unc. It has stains above hydes head and corners are slightly rounded and it's value is halved. If this is the note you are talking about then just return it to seller as "not been described" and he will have to refund you.
    If a different note and it is unc then let me know.

Hi Marathonman, it must be the same note as it was 200.05 pounds that was paid yesterday. I have only started to buy a few little bits myself but when my friend told me they bought this note i wanted to see what exactly it was worth. I bought coins from 1966 which said uncirculated but two of then had marks which looked like rust on them so i didnt want someone getting stung like i did for a fraction of the money but im only new to all this. ill tell them return this note so to the seller. Thank you so much for the advice

Hi Marathonman, it must be the same note as it was 200.05 pounds that was paid yesterday. I have only started to buy a few little bits myself but when my friend told me they bought this note i wanted to see what exactly it was worth. I bought coins from 1966 which said uncirculated but two of then had marks which looked like rust on them so i didnt want someone getting stung like i did for a fraction of the money but im only new to all this. ill tell them return this note so to the seller. Thank you so much for the advice

Have a look at the photo front and back and the brown stain is on both sides. Bottom left and you can see corner edge darker and a few ripples in the note top right. Somebody asked a question as to it's condition and he verified it.
    Send a note to sender that if it's not uncirculated then you do not want it.

This is the definition of Uncirculated
    UNCIRCULATED (UNC): A perfectly preserved note, never mishandled by the issuing authority, a bank teller, the public
    or a collector. Paper is clean and firm, without discoloration. Corners are sharp and square, without any evidence of
    rounding, folding or bending. No light handling is present, no compromise, a perfect note. An uncirculated note will have
    its original, natural sheen.

The payment is already sent so can a note still be sent to the sender or is it just best to wait and return it?

• Advertisement

The payment is already sent so can a note still be sent to the sender or is it just best to wait and return it?

Just go into item and click on contact seller.

ok thank you very much, you are a great help

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Just go into item and click on contact seller.

Indeed, it would be a lot less hassle for all involved to contact the seller now as it's unlikely that they've already posted the note out being the weekend. Would be easier for the seller to just refund the payment now before sending out the note.

message is sent to them now just waiting on reply, hopefully they'll just refund the money

The seller is after saying that it is uncirculated, and there going posting it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

The seller is after saying that it is uncirculated, and there going posting it?

Well then it looks like you'll have to go through the whole rigmarole of reporting it to Paypal/ebay as 'Not as described' when you get it.

Blade wrote: »
    Indeed, it would be a lot less hassle for all involved to contact the seller now as it's unlikely that they've already posted the note out being the weekend. Would be easier for the seller to just refund the payment now before sending out the note.

Unfortunately he's insisting it is unc. He was asked by another member and confirmed it was.

• Advertisement

Advertisement