Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Budget 2012 Mortgage Interest Relief Q + A

• 06-12-2011 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

For the life of me i cannot figure out how a particular measure in the budget will work for certain individuals and any insight would go a long way!

The minister announced that mortgage interest relief for people who bought between 2004 to 2008 will be increased to 30%.

I began my mortgage in December 2005 so tecnically my 7 years of relief finished this month (the one payment in 2005 counts as a year of tax relief).

Unless he is extending the term one can receive tax relief i cannot see how this would affect me and much less people who bought in 2004 who are well outside the 7 years now.

Its probably something simple that im overlooking but i just cant figure it out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I thought they were extending mortgage relief until 2017. Does that mean even if you were to finish before then, that you can still get it??

Very confusing is right:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

For a mortgage taken out between 1 January 2004 and 31 December 2011, the Finance Act 2010 provides that your entitlement to relief will continue until the end of 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

agrif06 wrote: »
    For a mortgage taken out between 1 January 2004 and 31 December 2011, the Finance Act 2010 provides that your entitlement to relief will continue until the end of 2017.

The best news i heard all day, THANK YOU!

I presume that there is no need to contact your lender/Revenue in this regard to extend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

Excuse my ignorance but couple of queries on this:
    1. What was mortgage interest relief for those who bought in 2006ish
    2. Roughly how much does this mean for someone like me who has mortgage with EBS of roughly €190,000

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

thereturn wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but couple of queries on this:
    1. What was mortgage interest relief for those who bought in 2006ish
    2. Roughly how much does this mean for someone like me who has mortgage with EBS of roughly €190,000

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated.

You can calculate it here:

http://www.mortgages.ie/index.cfm/spKey/first_time_buyers.tax_relief_calculator.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

Thanks for that. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

anyone know when it will kick in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭rameire

jan 1 2012

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

What about the diminishing scale over 7 years? Is it now 30% every year until the end of 2017 if you bought within the qualifying years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭JaneyMacker

flanzer wrote: »
    What about the diminishing scale over 7 years? Is it now 30% every year until the end of 2017 if you bought within the qualifying years?

I think it is 30% every year.
    But is it for first time buyers only.
    Very confusing.

• Advertisement

im searching the revenue for more info but cannot see anything at the moment,
    regarding what rate is applicable for all the remaining years up to 31/12/2017

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bought first house in 2005 sold bought another 2006... I qualified for the extra years last time round . Not sure about this but would be a really really welcome financial boost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rj1

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/

Looks like 30% mortgage interest relief 2012-2017 for FTB 2004-2008

Exception
    For individuals who purchased their first principal private residence on or after 1 January 2004 and on or before 31 December 2008, the rate of tax relief on the interest paid on the loan to purchase that property will, for the tax years 2012 to 2017, be 30%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

rj1 wrote: »
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/

Looks like 30% mortgage interest relief 2012-2017 for FTB 2004-2008

Exception
    For individuals who purchased their first principal private residence on or after 1 January 2004 and on or before 31 December 2008, the rate of tax relief on the interest paid on the loan to purchase that property will, for the tax years 2012 to 2017, be 30%

It also states:
    The tax relief is 25% for years 1 and 2; 22.5% for years 3,4 & 5 and 20% for years 6 and 7.

So its an extra 10% relief if your currently in year 6/7.

It also states:
    The tax relief is 25% for years 1 and 2; 22.5% for years 3,4 & 5 and 20% for years 6 and 7.

So its an extra 10% relief if your currently in year 6/7.

yup
    they are the old rates.
    im going back up to 30% woo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kilb28

km79 wrote: »
    Bought first house in 2005 sold bought another 2006... I qualified for the extra years last time round . Not sure about this but would be a really really welcome financial boost

I'm similar - bought in 2004 and traded up in 2007/2008 - am I entitled to this increase in mortage interest relief??? Sorry I'm a bit confused! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

I bought as 1st time buyer in 2004 so 7 yrs was up Jan 2011.I dropped to a much lower mortgage interest relief this yr-had assumed id be on the 20% relief until 2017 so was major shock. Rang revenue and they said that after 7 yrs, you only get reduced rate -think it was rate that applies to non first time buyers. This wasn't made at all clear in previous budget so wonder if there are small print issues in new announcement today. Id be very surprised if I got the 30% relief now as gone past the 7 years. anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

What about non 1st time buyer who purchased during the same period? It seems a bit un fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I think they get 15% bill

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

What about non 1st time buyer who purchased during the same period? It seems a bit un fare.
    The thinking is that non 1st time buyers pre 2004 bought in at much lower prices. They then paid for their subsequently more expensive houses through large increases in values of their first homes. So they should not be straddled with the massive mortgages that first time buyers from 2004 till the bust have. Quite fair I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I suppose there is going to be no happy outcome due to the mass of variations.

People also bought and traded up in that period too. It was not really till the later half of 07 before people noticed something seriously wrong.

I think I'll go read the whole thing before joining this discussion :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 marywary

Will we have to apply for it, do you think, or will it happen automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sidcon

I am currently buying a house with contracts being reviewed by both solicitors at the moment. My mortgage repayments are to be €453 a month and I'm a first time buyer. Am I better waiting till start of January 2012 to sign of contracts or what am I entitled to if I sign now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Paddytheplaster

I bought in 2005 and now in my sevent year in 2012. My mortage went up due to the relief decreasing in year 7. With the changes yesterday will I go up to 30%?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dubsox

seefin wrote: »
    I bought as 1st time buyer in 2004 so 7 yrs was up Jan 2011.I dropped to a much lower mortgage interest relief this yr-had assumed id be on the 20% relief until 2017 so was major shock. Rang revenue and they said that after 7 yrs, you only get reduced rate -think it was rate that applies to non first time buyers. This wasn't made at all clear in previous budget so wonder if there are small print issues in new announcement today. Id be very surprised if I got the 30% relief now as gone past the 7 years. anyone know anything about this?

I'm in the same boat. It was a huge shock last year to see my interest relief cut so much. I don't think we're going to know for sure until the Finance Bill is published but I suspect that, even if our relief goes up to 30% from the current 15%, the €3,000 interest ceiling for 'non first time buyers' may remain. If this is the case then our current relief will be doubled at best. The Government would need to raise the interest ceiling back up to €10,000 for us to see any significant increase in our interest relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 whoppoe

well what i can see from this... http://www.moneyguideireland.com/ have a look at the exception..

Exception

Correct me if im wrong but if you got a mortgage in 2004 and are probably getting 20% tax relief and you are on the 7th year.. this is now going to change to 30% until 2017. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ytennis

Wondering if someone can help me on this. I drew down on the mortgage on my property in Dec 2008 but first repayment did not occur until Jan 2009. Do I qualify for these budget measures? Have contaced TRS at revenue, they say their records show that tax relief pertains to period from Jan 09!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Hi,
    Rang revenue today thinking I qualified for the 30% TRS announced in yesterdays budget.
    We built our house, starting in December 2003. We paid the builder in stages. Our first amount for the house was taken out in December 2003, 50 grand. All the other stage payments were taken out in 2004.
    The lady from Revenue informed me that the TRS for the 50 grand I got in December 2003 has ceased since 2009. That is understandable. She said that I will continue to get the 15% on the remainder borrowed from 2004 onwards until end of 2017.
    I then asked her if amounts that I withdrew in 2004 qualify for the 30% TRS announced in budget and she said no,:eek:, as in 2004 I am no longer a first time buyer, even though the loan in December 2003 was for the same residence and the only residence I ever bought!

I am sure the lady is correct but just wanted to throw it out there and get a second opinion :confused:. Big pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭NuttKicker

i remortgaged in 2005-06 and was cut off mortgage relief about 2 years ago, reading through the stuff on money guide ireland http://www.moneyguideireland.com/ it looks like i would be entitled to the relief again at the 15% rate, i rang the mortgage relief office she didnt know too much, said there was no change to rates and if im entitled to it i should already have it and that it is only on the additional part of the re-mortgage not the full amount, hope she's wrong she didnt seem too sure, any 1 know if i should be entitled to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I bought my house in 2005 but never applied for MIR, didn't even realise it was available :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm applying now. Is there any reason why I shouldn't apply for the last 4 years backdated?

Advertisement