Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roger Waters - The Wall in cinema September 29th

• 22-06-2015 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure whether to throw this in under gigs & events or not. But it seems Roger Waters is bringing the wall to the big screen for one night only. More info (but not a lot more) here. A fair few cinemas seem to be showing it.

For what it's worth if it's anything like the live show he's done recently it will be absolutely amazing. I'm not even a huge fan of the album, but the show he put on was a spectacle to behold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Small correction, screenings are September 29!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Went to the gig here in Dublin & visually it was the most impressive show I've ever seen.

I'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I hear it's more of a documentary with concert footage rather than a full show. Having not seen the show I will go to the cinema for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

MoeJay wrote: »
    Small correction, screenings are September 29!

Ooops, This is correct!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Went to the gig here in Dublin & visually it was the most impressive show I've ever seen.

I'll be there.
    Aye, it was very impressive.

Wouldn't mind seeing the cinema release too, though a bit disappointing it's partly docu. I'd imagine it'll get released on Blu-ray, etc. at some stage too.

Roger must be raking it in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

As Chris_Bradley said, the gig here was one of the most incredible productions I've ever seen. I bet it would be very good on a big screen with a nice sound setup.

Wonder would the documentary aspects be any use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

The screening of the film will be followed by a live Q&A with Roger and Nick Mason (on the screen that is, rather than them being in the actual cinema).

The only cinema in Dublin showing it is cineworld on parnell St.

€18 a seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,756 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

going mad i missed this gig in the o2 and the aviva. had a choice to go to the all ireland hurling final or the 2013 gig but choose the all ireland (won the match anyway, well the minor match )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

poundhound wrote: »

€18 a seat!

I'm nearly sure I seen it advertised for Dundrum too.

Edit, I did http://moviesatdundrum.admit-one.eu/index.php?s=M-DUNDRUM&p=details&eventCode=19094

According to Roger Waters Facebook page it's on in loads of cinemas around Dublin (and I presume Ireland).

Well played Ozzy Jnr, Ive just found it in my nearest cinema (Swords).
    This saves a lot of hassle and its cheaper than Cineworld too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

The screening of the film will be followed by a live Q&A with Roger and Nick Mason (on the screen that is, rather than them being in the actual cinema).

€18 a seat!

Live Q&A could be good. All though I assume it'll be all pre-screened questions so maybe nothing too exciting.

€18 isn't too mad considering most cinema prices these days, plus it is a one off. How much were tickets to Metallica (or was it Big 4?) a few years back? Pretty sure a few lads I know went to something like that.

I reckon it will be a good one to see in the cinema alright. The only other music related cinema experience I have was the Pearl Jam film (PJ20 or something like that?). Really good craic sitting in a cinema full of fans. That, combined with how utterly incredible the live show was, will mean this will be a great occasion to attend.

Also, can a mod fix the title for me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ernie Gallagher

There'll also be a screening at the Mermaid Arts Centre in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Now that I know where I'm going to be next week, I have my tickets....looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Got a ticket on Saturday for this, should be good. At least I know the sound will be better than the first night in the Point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,756 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

wish i got to see this show live. it seems like a great show

is having massive productions like the wall tour, the dark side of the moon tour etc a selling point for Roger Waters because id find just him on a stage singing the songs would be boring and non eventful.

Ive seen Roger Waters live 5 times and his gigs are sensational.

His 2002 "In the flesh" tour had less of the theatrics/visuals of the later "Dark Side of the moon" and "The Wall" shows but was equally as enjoyable.

He's the only artist Ive seen that uses a quadrophonic sound system, i.e. surround sound in a concert setting.

I remember seeing him in 2002 and during the opening to Pink Floyd's song "Dogs", I actually looked over my shoulder as I thought there was a pack of dogs in the venue, such was the quality of the sound.

He's currently talking about touring a new album in 2016.

Ive seen Roger Waters live 5 times and his gigs are sensational.

His 2002 "In the flesh" tour had less of the theatrics/visuals of the later "Dark Side of the moon" and "The Wall" shows but was equally as enjoyable.

He's the only artist Ive seen that uses a quadrophonic sound system, i.e. surround sound in a concert setting.

I remember seeing him in 2002 and during the opening to Pink Floyd's song "Dogs", I actually looked over my shoulder as I thought there was a pack of dogs in the venue, such was the quality of the sound.

He's currently talking about touring a new album in 2016.

Agreed. I saw him first doing dark side in the point. It was incredible. He didn't have many bells and whistles that time, think there was a big screen behind him projecting images / films, then there was a rotating prism suspended from the middle of the ceiling. Quite extravagant now that I think about it, but nothing compared to the wall.

I went in with the attitude that Gilmour is the man, and it was going to be a poor gig. I was very wrong indeed. Waters is actually a great show man, and is very good with interacting with the crowd.

I was lucky enough to see David Gilmour last Thursday night.

As with Rogers, his live shows are at the very top level. Exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I thought it was a fantastic 2 and a bit hours and really annoyed that I didn't see it live. The bit at the end with Roger Waters and Nick Mason was a bit boring though.

It gets a Bluray and DVD release on December 1st

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Universal/Disc_Announcements/roger-waters-the-wall-dated-for-bluray/26333

Yeah, I thought the gig itself looked spectacular (I was at both Point gigs but I didn't go to Lansdowne Rd) and was very well shot, really conveyed the whole sense of scale. It will probably be the most spectacular gig I'll ever get to see, and this is a superb record of it.

Some of the bits in between were a bit cringey, I thought e.g. playing the trumpet in the graveyards, other parts worked very well, particularly the visit to his grandfather's grave with his own kids, and standing on Anzio beach itself, where his father was killed.

Definitely will pick up the disc when it's released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Went to it last night, a bit Sh1t in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Enjoyed the concert sections. The documentary part was less enjoyable. A personal journey for him. What are the odds of a son losing his father at 2 in the first war and then him dying and leaving a 2 year old son behind in the next war. Cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

Was this only on last night? Cant seem to find it in cinema's now?

Yes, think it was a one-off showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

blastman wrote: »
    Yes, think it was a one-off showing.

Balls....

Advertisement