Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How old is your gun? Show us yours

• 27-02-2015 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Afaik my shotgun was bought by a relative if mine in late 70s early 80s and was passed to another relative then my fathers friend and when he passed away my father got the gun off his wife and it was my first gun. I was 10 at the time. It's been thru the wars and dropped many a game bird. I shot my first pheasant with my father with this gun. Could only use the rear trigger because it couldn't reach the first one.
    I cleaned it up proper tonight and this is the results. Feel free to show your guns and age lads. It's a baikal o/u 28" twin trigger. Same since new except a new forend.
    Is there anyway of finding out when exactly it was bought? Gun dealer and serial code perhaps?
    Anyway result of hour cleaning.
    image_zpsexdizzf2.jpg

image_zpsjqh1m1rx.jpg

image_zpsz9rqiu5o.jpg

image_zpsylrnk8at.jpg
    Result

image_zps78xvcmnb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Afraid no pics, as she is gone to her eternal rest. But my first gun was an Ivor Johnston "Champion" single barrel hammer gun. It was never in my name, as it was really my dads, and his dad's before that. Probably dated from the 1920's or 30's.
    It had the legend "Ivor Johnston Arms and Cycle works, Fitchburg, Massachusetts" stamped on the barrel.

The first box of cartridges I fired through it were Eley Alphamax, the old cardboard tubed ones........

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

My first s/s purchased in 1994, traded in a single barrel my father insisted i bought as my first gun to teach me composure!, sat in the gun locker for the last 10 years after I purchased an u/o.
    For some unknown reason the u/o was not throwing up to the eye this last season like it used to, I have no idea why.
    Mid season I took the old s/s out of the locker and have been converted back.
    Loving shooting with the side by side and am considering trading the u/o in for a nice s/s.
    I'm also considering trying to restore the s/s I have. I have tightened it up a bit and might look into restoring the timber.
    It's nothing special. A Spanish gun, an Astra imperial made in 1954. It's rough, it's loose, it doesn't look great but it shoots great.
    If you check the web you can get info on the various stamps on the gun and possibly a year of manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A 1969 Liege manufactured Browning A5 12g 3". Mechanically sound as a bell and the wood could do with some serious tlc.

The rifle is a CZ 550 in .308, wouldn't think it's three years old but the concept is 19th century, massive Mauser style locking lugs and big extractor claw on the bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭goss101

Have a 1976 Valmet u/o. Was my fathers first gun, was always kept well but i refurbed it myself two years ago, "I" think it looks well and still shoots great and I bring it out the odd day for the pigeons/crows to give the 686 a rest!!!

goss101 wrote: »
    Have a 1976 Valmet u/o. Was my fathers first gun, was always kept well but i refurbed it myself two years ago, "I" think it looks well and still shoots great and I bring it out the odd day for the pigeons/crows to give the 686 a rest!!!

Stock looks great, any tips or just sand and varnish?

• Advertisement

Is there anyway of finding out when exactly it was bought? Gun dealer and serial code perhaps?

Probably not when it was bought but a quick google says that on a Baikal's serial code the first two numbers are the year of manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭goss101

I put up a thread about it when i did it, but basically yeah loads of sanding with different grades of grit all the way down to brown paper to finish and then stain and i think it was 9 coats of birchwood casesys tru oil i used. leaves a great finish, very hard wearing and if you don't like the shiny finish you just give it a polish and it comes up matt.
    Stock looks great, any tips or just sand and varnish?

goss101 wrote: »
    I put up a thread about it when i did it, but basically yeah loads of sanding with different grades of grit all the way down to brown paper to finish and then stain and i think it was 9 coats of birchwood casesys tru oil i used. leaves a great finish, very hard wearing and if you don't like the shiny finish you just give it a polish and it comes up matt.

Found that thread, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

14062010060.jpg
    14062010058.jpg
    14062010055.jpg
    14062010059.jpg
    8E17BB24-8A51-476F-891E-0AB79EDF5735.jpg

No idea how old it is but my father bought it second hand over 40 years ago and left it to me a few years ago when he bought another shotgun, its an old BSA , i know feck all else about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

ormondprop wrote:
    No idea how old it is but my father bought it second hand over 40 years ago and left it to me a few years ago when he bought another shotgun, its an old BSA , i know feck all else about it
    what cartridge are you using for the fox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thehound

my father in law has a johnston single barrel with a rifled barrel on it great little gun seen plenty of action

BrownTrout wrote: »
    what cartridge are you using for the fox?

have some cheddite 42gr 2's and 36gr saga 1's and sone 36gr alphamax bb's i'd have a bunch of them in the pocket and use any two that i grab first, never had any problems with any of them, father usually uses alphmax bb's other lads that hunt with us use anything from 3's to bb's i think everyone uses 2 3/4 cartridges, and never fail to stop a fox aslong as you do your part behind the gun.

Often hear lads saying you need mad heavy 3" or 3 1/2" cartridges for foxes but you don't unless your trying to hit them a mile away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

I would say your gun is only proofed for 2 1/2 cartridges dud to its age. It has been resleeved from what I can see. Nice gun. 28g would be enough for it!

kermitpwee wrote: »
    I would say your gun is only proofed for 2 1/2 cartridges dud to its age. It has been resleeved from what I can see. Nice gun. 28g would be enough for it!

Don't know if you're talking to me or not but mine is proofed for 2 3/4 and barrels have never been sleeved, all i really use it for anymore is for foxes so usually heavy enough cartridges going through and have never seen any excess wear or damage to the gun from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

ormondprop wrote: »
    Don't know if you're talking to me or not but mine is proofed for 2 3/4 and barrels have never been sleeved, all i really use it for anymore is for foxes so usually heavy enough cartridges going through and have never seen any excess wear or damage to the gun from them
    Cool! If you look at the start of the rib there is a slight cut about an inch down. That is usually a sign of a resleeved gun. Anyway lovely gun. My own guess is that it was resleeved and proofed from 2 1/2to 2 3/4as due to its age it would have been 2 1/2 for sure

If it was resleeved in the UK it would also be marked and re-proofed as such with a stamp saying exactly that.

Resleeved or not, BSA made some seriously hard wearing stuff. A lot of UK gamekeepers had them as their tool of choice because they were affordable quality.

A lot of the more expensive UK gunmakers by the way had a habit of putting a lot of stuff together from parts mass produced in Birmingham.

In all fairness you have to understand mass produced probably as using techniques and processes that in their modern guise come quite close to how the likes of Beretta, Browning and so on make guns that'll cost you a fair chunk north of 5k these days.

I'll take a closer pic if i can but thats just part of the bsa logo on it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Belgian single barrel .410 poachers shotgun.Est to be 120 years old.Still works fine.
    Savage O/U 22 mag/20 ga pre serial number model so about early to mid 1960s appx 50 years old .
    There are still museum pieces like match and wheel locks that are over 400 years old that still could fire .Its not how old the gun is,but how it was looked after that says whether it is shootable or not.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Belgian single barrel .410 poachers shotgun.Est to be 120 years old.Still works fine.
    Savage O/U 22 mag/20 ga pre serial number model so about early to mid 1960s appx 50 years old .
    There are still museum pieces like match and wheel locks that are over 400 years old that still could fire .Its not how old the gun is,but how it was looked after that says whether it is shootable or not.

You're on the money there, a correctly maintained good quality gun of let's say around a century old is by far preferable over some of the new so called entry level crap on the shelves today.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluezulu49

You're on the money there, a correctly maintained good quality gun of let's say around a century old is by far preferable over some of the new so called entry level crap on the shelves today.

Have to agree wholeheartedly with you meathstevie. My gun of choice is a 1902 Cogswell and Harrison with 2 1/2 inch chambers which I purchased in 1981, five years after I first saw it. No other gun I have handled has suited me as well.

This gun was sleeved in the 1970's and the joint between the original barrel and the new tubes is now clearly visible due to 33 years of wear on the bluing.
    There is no corresponding mark in the rib and I suspect that the original rib was re-used.
    I will photograph it in daylight and put up the pictures.

• Advertisement

Full%20.jpg
    Side%20view.jpg
    Top%20view.jpg
    Action%20closeup.jpg
    Barrel%20Proof%20marks.jpg
    Action%20flats.jpg
    Closeup%20TopRib.jpg

The fact that it is sleeved can be clearly seen in the close up pictures of the barrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Although I dont have a photo as yet I have just applied for a BSA Majestic in 30-06 yesterday, where could I get info as to where to look on the rifle so I could age the rifle, I know it was in storage in the Phoenix Park for over 30 years. and has sat in a safe for the last 8 years. in great condition not a mark on the barrel it looks like it's a mauser bolt set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Full%20.jpg

Beautiful..just beautiful.

This one belongs to my son. A 1947 Brno Model 1, .22 rimfire. Amazingly accurate rifle.

47Model1rightside.jpg
    47Model1Leftside.jpg
    47Model1ReceiverLeft.jpg
    47%20Model1%20proofmarks.jpg
    47Model1serialno..jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭mrbrianj

BSA owners website gives a list of dates that you can work out from the serial no. Thanks Tacfoley for that.

I also have a BSA sxs from the thirties. 2 1/2 inch chamber only.

Btw any sleeved guns I have seen the mark was visible on the barrel, no reason to cut the rib- I think anyway

mrbrianj wrote: »
    BSA owners website gives a list of dates that you can work out from the serial no. Thanks Tacfoley for that.

I also have a BSA sxs from the thirties. 2 1/2 inch chamber only.

Btw any sleeved guns I have seen the mark was visible on the barrel, no reason to cut the rib- I think anyway

Thanks what do I type to fine the details of BSA owners web site.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

Not in its original configuration , but it's a Model 1917 Enfield manufactured around 1919/20 . It was sporterised sometime in the 1950's . Still in the original caliber , 30.06 .

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    Not in its original configuration , but it's a Model 1917 Enfield manufactured around 1919/20 . It was sporterised sometime in the 1950's . Still in the original caliber , 30.06 .

Lovely looking Rifle mine has that white bead as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aya xxv

my wife bought me an aya xxv for my 40th turns out the gun was a year older then me! have had new winchesters benellis beretta and browning and fabarm but am done with all that now i would ope to still be knocking snipe with it on my 80th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

AV Marroccini of Italy.
    Made in 1986, Dad has it since before I was born.
    Only licenced it before Christmas and already I've put more rounds through it in less than a year than Dad did all the years he has had it according to him!

Advertisement