Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sharing a safe.

• 16-02-2015 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Is it permitted by law for two family members in the same house to share a gun safe ?
    Also are trigger locks compulsory on shotguns ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

no one else is meant to have access to the firearm except the person or persons licenced. so no not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Actually, it's not prohibited by law and the first level of security in the security SI would suggest it was possible to do this, but your local Super would have to sign off on it. It is prohibited in the UK as far as I know (I remember at least one case study where an FAC applicant ran into issues because of family members having physical access to the safe).

And yes, trigger locks are compulsory if you're at the first level of security in the SI.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Thanks guys I will get one so just to be on the "safe" side :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Better safe than sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

I share one of my safes with my father but all the guns in it are on both our licences.

• Advertisement

mallards wrote: »
    I share one of my safes with my father but all the guns in it are on both our licences.
    Ok thanks. We have separate liciences so I will have to fork out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Big Davey wrote: »
    Ok thanks. We have separate liciences so I will have to fork out.

I would talk to the FO first and put it to him,you never know

I would talk to the FO first and put it to him,you never know
    I might try that thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LiamLad

Quick question my dad has the .22 in his name .....if i get it lisenced to my name also, would there be a 80 fee for the two of us or 40e each?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

LiamLad wrote: »
    Quick question my dad has the .22 in his name .....if i get it lisenced to my name also, would there be a 80 fee for the two of us or 40e each?

€80 each

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yes.

I use the same safes as my Father. All i was asked for was a written letter of permission from him to say i can use "his" safes in his home. Got that, and job was Oxo.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

lads similar question. If a house has 3 unrestricted firearms (which is only a safe) and a second person was to get a unrestricted shotgun.
    Would the minimum requirements be

the normal safe for the 3 and the second person having to have to shogun dissembled.
    or
    the same as 4 unrestricted firearms ie, safe,alarm and bolt on the doors, sharing a safe

i know it minimum and its supper call but when the ask do you have the minimum in place

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

4 firearms. Meaning next level of security.

Separately myself and the Father are on level 2 security. Between us though we are on level 4.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement