Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"New" revolver for the collection

• 27-02-2015 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I've kinda slowed down on collecting Irish stuff over the last year and spent a lot more time shooting and reloading, but I couldn't pass this one up.
    Bought it quietly, wife found it in the safe, bates (the bad kind) were administered.

Webley #5 Army express, sold by Trulock and Harris In Dublin on Dawson Street.
    Chambered in 45 Long Colt or 455 Webley, I've shot it and its a lot of fun!

img_7455%20(large).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

img_7458%20(large).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

img_7467%20(large).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

img_7474%20(large).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

You might recall this scene from Silverado where Kevin Kline buys a ratty one quickly to shoot a horse thief

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Just out of curiosity, how does one license a revolver? Does being a member of a target range count as a legit reason for your FAC? Will the guards license it even though it's a centre fire pistol?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Not a licensed shooter or anything but have a passing interest in such things. The history of the gun fascinates me more than the actual firearm. Do you know the history of it? Age/Previous owners/usage etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

BrownTrout wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how does one license a revolver? Does being a member of a target range count as a legit reason for your FAC? Will the guards license it even though it's a centre fire pistol?

You have to be a member of a range and you can only licence 5 shot .22 pistols now. No new centrefire licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

BrownTrout wrote: »

Harmoniums is in the US I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

He proably has a better collection than most Irish museuems of Irish historical guns and guns made or sold in Ireland.Man ought to be commended for his appreciation and zest for saving Irish firearms.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Harmoniums is in the US I believe.

Correct.

BTW, this revolver was made before Jan 1st 1899 and as such is not considered a firearm that needs paperwork.

I walked into the auction house, paid my money and walked out with it, didn't even show them my ID, and this was in California!

Sometimes they ask for ID for antiques like these, sometimes they even want to do a full background check just to make sure your not a crazy.
    In cases like that I show them my CCW licence and they usually seem satisfied.

OU812 wrote: »
    Not a licensed shooter or anything but have a passing interest in such things. The history of the gun fascinates me more than the actual firearm. Do you know the history of it? Age/Previous owners/usage etc ?

I can contact webley and find out when they shipped it to Dublin and if it was a specific customer order, but I dont think I can get the Trulock and Harris records
    Heres a period advertisment for this revolver

tumblr_n35rphrBun1s57vgxo1_1280.jpg

Unbelievable that this firearm is over 100 years old and may have seen action in 1916/1922 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

Just wondering up to what year was the sale of revolvers legal in Ireland and what year did they stop lovely looking gun and would be nice to track down who bought it weather it was the police of the time or for military use

OU812 wrote: »
    Unbelievable that this firearm is over 100 years old and may have seen action in 1916/1922 here.

Hypothetically speaking it could have been in the holster of Majoor John McBride of the Irish Brigade in the army of the Transvaal Republiek in the Boer War at Colenso or Ladysmith....The gun dates back from that era and it looks an absolute minter.

Harmoniums, can you still get suitable Long Colt ammo for it or is it a reloading job with old style propellant etc etc ?

• Advertisement

philmire wrote: »
    Just wondering up to what year was the sale of revolvers legal in Ireland and what year did they stop lovely looking gun and would be nice to track down who bought it weather it was the police of the time or for military use

The sale of revolvers has never been illegal, not even today. The licencing and possession is a different kettle of fish.

Since independence to 1972 I believe it was quite straightforward to licence revolvers. From 1972 till mid 2000's impossible to licence unless you were one of the few civilians who would have been permitted by the DoJ to carry one for personal protection and since 2008 impossible for anything but rimfire in case of new applications.

Hypothetically speaking it could have been in the holster of Majoor John McBride of the Irish Brigade in the army of the Transvaal Republiek in the Boer War at Colenso or Ladysmith....The gun dates back from that era and it looks an absolute minter.

Harmoniums, can you still get suitable Long Colt ammo for it or is it a reloading job with old style propellant etc etc ?

I reload a lot myself and have black powder rounds made up for it in 45 Long Colt, I have easy access to lead bullets, black powder and caseshere.

You can buy commercial rounds online, but they are expensive and honestly I trust mine more when it comes to shooting historical pieces.

Some folks use light (3-4 grains) of smokeless loads in these, but theres no garauntee that they would hold up to the quicker pressure spike, no point in takin the chance on an fairly expensive gun

If any of you guys are ever over in southern california, look me up, we can go to the range and shoot a bunch.

harmoniums wrote: »

If any of you guys are ever over in southern california, look me up, we can go to the range and shoot a bunch.

Sigh... I'm only back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭black powder colt

harmoniums wrote: »
    Correct.

BTW, this revolver was made before Jan 1st 1899 and as such is not considered a firearm that needs paperwork.

I walked into the auction house, paid my money and walked out with it, didn't even show them my ID, and this was in California!

Sometimes they ask for ID for antiques like these, sometimes they even want to do a full background check just to make sure your not a crazy.
    In cases like that I show them my CCW licence and they usually seem satisfied.
    Does that mean you could carry it around in your pocket without any paper work in a public place and can you just walk into shop and buy ammo like a can of beans

Advertisement