Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a decent but cheap tyre in dublin....

• 05-12-2014 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Need a new left front tyre for an 04 A3 1.6, I think its a 205/55 17.
    I dont do a lot of miles in it, 11k miles in approx 26 months so far, on a new set of some cheapo brand. They are in grand knick but blew out the left front this week off a kerb.

Been quoted 105 in tyre master for similar replacement tyre, but would prefer to pay less at this time of year.
    Any recommendations on what to buy and where to go for it?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe some part worn premium branded tyres are worth looking for if money is tight as your probably looking at €100 anyway for a decent branded tyre in that size. I'd have premium branded part worns over cheaper never heard of branded new tyres every time. While you may not do a lot of driving you still may rely on good tyres to keep you on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

bazz26 wrote: »
    Maybe some part worn premium branded tyres are worth looking for if money is tight as your probably looking at €100 anyway for a decent branded tyre in that size. I'd have premium branded part worns over cheaper never heard of branded new tyres every time. While you may not do a lot of driving you still may rely on good tyres to keep you on the road.

Cheers,

I'd be happy with the same brand new again, they have been perfectly adequate for over 2 years from new. I think the brand is Seva or something. Will double check when I get home. But theyve done fine since I got the car.
    I just think 105 is expensive for these, tho I no expert on cars tyres.
    Drive a bike mostly so those I know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,681 ✭✭✭✭unkel

terrydel wrote: »
    Need a new left front tyre

Never replace just the one tyre. Always replace them in pairs. Might cost you an "unnecessary" €50 more but it might also save someone's life...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just having a look at online prices there and your still talking €100+ for anything decent in that size as it's a bit of an awkward tyre size that isn't overly common. The cheap muck even costs upwards of €70 online and that's just for tyres, it excludes fitting and balancing locally. Also you only realise how good or bad a particular type of tyre is when you suddenly need them for both grip/traction or emergency stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just having a look at online prices there and your still talking €100+ for anything decent in that size as it's a bit of an awkward tyre size that isn't overly common. The cheap muck even costs upwards of €70 online and that's just for tyres, it excludes fitting and balancing locally. Also you only realise how good or bad a particular type of tyre is when you suddenly need them for both grip/traction or emergency stopping.

I believe the guy in behind the Cherry Tree on Walkinstown roundabout is good, so will pop in there on my way home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement