Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are razor blades so bloody expensive ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

dbar wrote: »
    OK,
    I'm sold as well, I have deadly wirey beard and dry sensitive skin, if I buy cheap razors they cut the face off me and I can only get a couple of shaves out of the mach 3 type stuff. Why didnd I think of this?
    Anyway, going on what Ive read here, im going to go for the lot- Merker, blades, cream, balm.
    Any thoughts on long handle v short handle?

Have you got big or small hands? :D

(sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sgross75

I used to work for a retail group and we had the reps in from Johnson Bros who distribute the Gillette range. My boss asked why they charge so much for the blades and the answer was ........'Because we can'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This is a superb thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

dbar wrote: »
    OK,
    I'm sold as well, I have deadly wirey beard and dry sensitive skin, if I buy cheap razors they cut the face off me and I can only get a couple of shaves out of the mach 3 type stuff. Why didnd I think of this?
    Anyway, going on what Ive read here, im going to go for the lot- Merker, blades, cream, balm.
    Any thoughts on long handle v short handle?

As I've said earlier, go for the Progress, buy a blade sampler, buy a couple of (good) creams and a brush. Watch Marc's series of videos on YouTube (mantic59) for great tutorials and you're ready to go :D

Check out shaveblog's video on YouTube also, it was the catalyst that started the back to basics wet shaving revolution a few years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhDjWSJk0cQ&feature=channel_page

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

MediaTank wrote: »
    As I've said earlier, go for the Progress, buy a blade sampler, buy a couple of (good) creams and a brush. Watch Marc's series of videos on YouTube (mantic59) for great tutorials and you're ready to go :D

Check out shaveblog's video on YouTube also, it was the catalyst that started the back to basics wet shaving revolution a few years ago.

MT

Could you recommend any creams?

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Could you recommend any creams?

Sure, Porasso is a classic with eucalyptus, Taylor's Avovado, Taylor's Lavender, Trumper Violets to name but a few.

You'll often hear guys talking about the '3 Ts' when refering to shaving cream - Taylor, Trumper and Truefitt & Hill. They may seem expensive for the amount of cream, but boy does it last a long time.

Just to go for the whole shave experience - are any of those aftershaves on Connaughts any good? They look very old-world and cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Just to follow up on MediaTank, the youtube link for tutorial videos (mantic59) is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/shavetutor
    These are pretty much the best tutorials out there.

who007 wrote: »
    Just to go for the whole shave experience - are any of those aftershaves on Connaughts any good? They look very old-world and cool!

They are. Bay Rum is a classic. I'm more familiar with the Trumper colognes and use Trumper Eucris after shaving. Ask Connaught for some samples.

They are. Bay Rum is a classic. I'm more familiar with the Trumper colognes and use Trumper Eucris after shaving. Ask Connaught for some samples.

I just asked and was told they could have sent me samples only that they have already dispatched my items. Very matter of fact message. Don't think samples would be forthcoming. Pity. I may buy some of that Rum stuff another time cos it was the one that caught my attention most when I read through them, Lavender seeming more like a woman's scent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

who007 wrote: »
    I just asked and was told they could have sent me samples only that they have already dispatched my items.

My items were despatched some 4 hours after clicking on order, they're quick.

well, he got back to me and is sending me a couple of samples - which is cool cos I appreciate that kind of thing from someone I am buying from. I asked for Bay Rum and Dr Harris Sandalwood.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ordered my stuff from http://www.shaving-shack.com/ saturday, dispatched yesterday from the UK. Looking forward to it.....had a look at the videos during weekend and hoping not to cut the face of myself :)

I'd recommend people post in the Facial Hair forum for future discussions :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Still waiting on my razor, maybe tomorrow I guess
    I'd be interested to know how everyone gets on with the razors they've bought and shaving with a safety razor in general

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I picked up a Merkur Futur from board member murrmurr today, the weight of it is scary.. I'll get a chance to cut myself to ribbons tomorrow morning Cabaal.. :p (the smiley with blood on its chin..)

I reccommmend that all you guys new to safety razors buy this book http://www.lulu.com/content/769757

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'm going away in a few days...

It's a minor inconvenience that you can't bring them on your hand luggage

I'm going away in a few days...

It's a minor inconvenience that you can't bring them on your hand luggage

Yes, but you can at least bring cream and a brush. When I travel (which is a lot), I look forward to getting back to real shaving.

Got mine today - the handle on the razor was shorter than I expected but no big deal. I went for the chrome one and it's quite an elegant tool! Am looking forward to a shave later.

What I do is bring everything but the blades. I normally carry my toilitries bag attached to the outside of my bag because usually they want to check that there is no blade inside the razor.

I usually bring a gillette sensor razor and blades. Depending on where I go to and how long I stay, I sometimes buy de razor blades where I am (some places sell the gillette de blades) or else just use the gillette sensor razor if all else fails.

I bought this whilst I was living in germany:
    http://www.muehle-pinsel.de/shop/accessories/travel/1/round_protective_tube/6/26/RV
    very handy for travelling. Im sure you can get them elsewhere too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

zen15 wrote: »
    Picture the scene . in the bathroom , steamy mirror (oak floor and white walls with georgian ceiling) face soaped and girl kneeling by the sink wathchibg you shave and keeping your c*&k in her mouth .
    Better then the gillette add or wha

I'd say that'd make shaving pretty tricky tbh. ;)

Yeah - can't say I'd be bothered shaving if that was happening.

I got the Bay Rum and Lavendar aftershave samples from Connaught but was very disappointed. Very clinical smelling! Think I will stick to ordinary aftershave. Pity cos I liked the old-fashioned bottles!

Aer Lingus' list of prohibited items says that disposable razors are allowed.

I'm flying this evening so I'm going to bring two , declare them at the security desk, see what they say.

Aer Lingus' list of prohibited items says that disposable razors are allowed.

I'm flying this evening so I'm going to bring two , declare them at the security desk, see what they say.
    Any razor blades sunk in plastic like the mach3 or the disposable razors are fine through security. DE blades are not since they are fully explosed.

I didn't know that. I just assumed that anything sharp isn't allowed. Shame they don't allow the shaving foam even though it's a sealed canister.

I didn't know that. I just assumed that anything sharp isn't allowed. Shame they don't allow the shaving foam even though it's a sealed canister.
    I believe shaving foam is allowed on if under 100ml. Sealed razor blades are definitely allowed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭drunkdaz

€10.50 for 5feckin blades ? What the hell! They're about £3 a pack in the UK.
    What makes them so special that they're abhorrently overpriced here ?

:rolleyes:
    What planet are you on?

Show me which supermarket has them for £3:

http://www.sainsburys.com/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1232530877795

axer wrote: »
    I believe shaving foam is allowed on if under 100ml. Sealed razor blades are definitely allowed on.

DE blades, sealed or not, are not allowed in hand baggage.

DE blades, sealed or not, are not allowed in hand baggage.
    huh? I am talking about mach3 blades those that are sunk into plastic as per my post above. DE razor blades are not sealed.

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    huh? I am talking about mach3 blades those that are sunk into plastic as per my post above. DE razor blades are not sealed.

Missed your earlier post.

Advertisement