Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Must-have Pregnancy Toiletries

• 31-03-2015 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Since reaching my second trimester I've suddenly ballooned and am looking into buying a decent moisturiser in a bid to battle stretchmarks.

Does anyone have any recommendations for toiletries in general for looking your best during pregnancy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Bio oil!!! 2 pregnancies and not one stretch mark to my name! Could be genetics tho. But I swear by bio oil :).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭goldlocks10

Bio oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Didn't use anything really... Bar eating my own weight in oily fish. Does that count? Never liked moisturisers in general. Too slimey for me. No stretch marks on the belly luckily.

Bio oil smells nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I tried all the products: bio oil, mamma mio etc and unfortunately you could draw a road map with my stretch marks - a lot comes down to genetics so I would find a cream you like the smell of and go from there. I had one rancid (to me) one - wanted to vomit if I wore it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Yep it's all about genetics, if you're gonna get them you're gonna get them unfortunately no matter what you use.
    I personally like cocobutter because I love the smell & it absorbs quickly, my skin is lovely & soft but I do still have stretch marks though, I didn't win that genetic lotto :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I don't even think stretch marks are genetic. I didn't get any first time but second time by the end under the bump had rivers of them. The good news is 19 months on they're barely noticeable. I used biooil before and after pregnancy but I don't think it does much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I only used bio-oil and other moisturisers sporadically. I ended up with only a couple of stretchmarks. I doubt the oil made a difference either way. But anyways, they really don't bother me. Your body changes when you have a baby, it's normal and healthy and something to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

I found the body shop vitamin e body butter good. No stretch marks on 2 pregnancies but that could be just good genes

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

It's down to genetics. My mam had six of us and hasn't got one. I have none either. Don't use the bio oil now, it won't stop you getting them but it can help to reduce their appearance afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I religiously used bio oil, mama mio, and burt's bees belly butter from boobs to thighs since I was 12 weeks. I had no stretch marks up to 34 weeks. My bump dropped then, and my stomach, hips, and upper thighs are covered in them.

One good toiletry I would recommend is the Tesco leg cooling spray. I had major swelling in my feet and legs and it helped me feel a bit more comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I used Burts Bees Belly Butter and got no stretch marks whatsoever. I'd highly recommend it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Didn't use anything last time and got nothing same this time. All down to your own skin, bio oil etc can't change the composition of your skin. It might help if you do get any, but it's not going to prevent it.
    I actually have bio oil sitting in the bathroom from last pregnancy that I never used, just used my usual moisturiser, in my usual haphazard way :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I'm destroyed with stretch marks, my stomach looks like a giant rasher. The marks are about an inch wide, so fading makes no difference unfortunately. A few midwives have said they're the worst they've seen. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I would have bet money that I was going to get stretch marks as I have a good few from puberty. I got none last pregnancy and haven't any yet this pregnancy. I'm nearly 28 weeks so there's probably still time I suppose! I did use bio oil or Boots stretch mark oil spray last time. I'm using Palmers Cocoa butter spray this time. It can't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

My grandmother has none, neither does my mother, yet i am covered in them.

The ones on the inside of my thighs are s couple of inches deep. I don't know what happened to me!

Advertisement