Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

excellent paul thanks for quick reply ordering now:D, oh and the cheap international calls they included as standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

deaglan169 wrote: »
    excellent paul thanks for quick reply ordering now:D, oh and the cheap international calls they included as standard?

Yes on all our plans...

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Hi Dahamsta

There is a small change to be made next week that will resolve this issue with Visa Debit cards

Regards
    Paul
    Paul,
    Do you know if this issue has been resolved yet? I've spent hours on the phone with customer service going all the way back to last September. It's very frustrating!

Paul,
    Do you know if this issue has been resolved yet? I've spent hours on the phone with customer service going all the way back to last September. It's very frustrating!

Hi there

Sorry for the trouble on this one. I am assured it is to be resolved this week

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

Ive signed up to tesco mobile and ported over got my €20 porting over credit but how can i claim the other €30 for becoming a new customer, i know its delivered in €10 chuunks over 3 months but is it automatic or do i need to top up to get the free credit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Hi Paul,

I sent you an IM Monday but didn't get a reply. That billing issue still isn't sorted, I've supplied my details 3 times now and each time the bills are showing failed payment so I'll probably just move to another operator. Thanks!

omahaid wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

I sent you an IM Monday but didn't get a reply. That billing issue still isn't sorted, I've supplied my details 3 times now and each time the bills are showing failed payment so I'll probably just move to another operator. Thanks!

Sorry about that, my error not getting back to you. PM sent there.

deaglan169 wrote: »
    Ive signed up to tesco mobile and ported over got my €20 porting over credit but how can i claim the other €30 for becoming a new customer, i know its delivered in €10 chuunks over 3 months but is it automatic or do i need to top up to get the free credit?

Hi there, you need to register and then topup by €20 per month in each month to get it each month. regards Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Sorry about that, my error not getting back to you. PM sent there.

Thanks a lot Paul, appreciate the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

I have been a happy customer of Tesco Mobile for well over a year now (especially enjoying the cheap international calls) and I don't intend to switch network anytime soon (if ever...). But since my two phones are now about 14 months old and still locked to Tesco I wonder if it would be possible to "officially" obtain the unlocking codes? The Tesco UK-website says "Our Customer Care team can provide you with an unlatching code. The service is free if you request an unlatching code from us, 12 months after the date you activated your handset." Would that be the same for Ireland, and if so, who would be the person to talk to about that issue?

• Advertisement

Quaderno wrote: »
    I have been a happy customer of Tesco Mobile for well over a year now (especially enjoying the cheap international calls) and I don't intend to switch network anytime soon (if ever...). But since my two phones are now about 14 months old and still locked to Tesco I wonder if it would be possible to "officially" obtain the unlocking codes? The Tesco UK-website says "Our Customer Care team can provide you with an unlatching code. The service is free if you request an unlatching code from us, 12 months after the date you activated your handset." Would that be the same for Ireland, and if so, who would be the person to talk to about that issue?

Yes we have similar conditions to get a phone unlock code, contact customer care here http://www.tescomobile.ie/contact-us.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Great, I just sent off the request :) Thanks!

Update 21/01/12: I received the code quickly, followed the instructions and it worked immediately. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hi Paul,

I was posting on the bargain alerts forum about Tesco Mobile and I got feedback that it would be a good idea to address the below issue with you here.

I wish to make a formal complaint about your new text message price comparison with other operators on your website.

I believe that you are breaking Comreg D11/04 in your presentation of information to end users.

Specifically, I take issue with the following facts:
    1) Your comparison states "below are the text rates for all mobile networks in Ireland" but yet you exclude Postfone. This is not a fair comparison.
    2) Your comparison states "below are the text rates for all mobile networks in Ireland" but yet you fail to mention that most other operators offer unlimited free any network to any network text messages as part of top up bundles. My point is you cannot compare out of bundle charges without mentioning in bundles charges. This is not transparent behavior.

I have zero vested interest here. I just want to ensure that all mobile operators start to be more honest and fair to their end users. I have made other complaints, about lack of transparency, to other mobile operators.

Please fix your price comparison to be more transparent in line with Comreg rules and general honest fair behavior or formally reject my complaint and I will then escalate to Comreg.

Regards,

Ciaran

Fungus wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

I was posting on the bargain alerts forum about Tesco Mobile and I got feedback that it would be a good idea to address the below issue with you here.

I wish to make a formal complaint about your new text message price comparison with other operators on your website.

I believe that you are breaking Comreg D11/04 in your presentation of information to end users.

Specifically, I take issue with the following facts:
    1) Your comparison states "below are the text rates for all mobile networks in Ireland" but yet you exclude Postfone. This is not a fair comparison.
    2) Your comparison states "below are the text rates for all mobile networks in Ireland" but yet you fail to mention that most other operators offer unlimited free any network to any network text messages as part of top up bundles. My point is you cannot compare out of bundle charges without mentioning in bundles charges. This is not transparent behavior.

I have zero vested interest here. I just want to ensure that all mobile operators start to be more honest and fair to their end users. I have made other complaints, about lack of transparency, to other mobile operators.

Please fix your price comparison to be more transparent in line with Comreg rules and general honest fair behavior or formally reject my complaint and I will then escalate to Comreg.

Regards,

Ciaran

Thanks Ciaran, I will raise the relevant team on Monday am.

Thanks Ciaran, I will raise the relevant team on Monday am.

I am greatfull for your speedy response and your commitment to action.

I look forward to seeing the amendment of your text message price comparison with (1) the inclusion of the Postfone 9 cent per domestic text rate and also (2) the inclusion of in-bundle top up rates which include unlimited any network free text message for 30 days with many other operator packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

ooops wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Hi Paul,

just wondering when will the speed cap be removed from your data services?

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

just wondering when will the speed cap be removed from your data services?

I think Paul previously posted that this was possibly going to take place in September 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Just wondering what are the average download speeds for people using Tesco Mobile.

I have been using it for a while but its almost gone to a halt at times for me with pages taking an age to open. I have an unlocked dongle and am currently on the €7 euro 1gb 30 days with TM.

Carried out speedtest earlier with poor results.

1722250982.png

Whipped my sim out of my phone which is on Vodafone and carried out a test on the same dongle .... results below

1722173293.png

pissed wrote: »
    Just wondering what are the average download speeds for people using Tesco Mobile.

I have been using it for a while but its almost gone to a halt at times for me with pages taking an age to open. I have an unlocked dongle and am currently on the €7 euro 1gb 30 days with TM.

Carried out speedtest earlier with poor results.

1722250982.png

Whipped my sim out of my phone which is on Vodafone and carried out a test on the same dongle .... results below

1722173293.png

Pop over to the O2 forum for the bigger picture. There are dozens of threads about data speed and data availability.

It seems that the O2 network is suffering from network congestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Its a pity. The price is excellent at €7.

Whats the next best alternative in regards to price with decent quality?

The project has started to upgrade our data service to higher speeds. Will complete late summer or September.

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Hi all,

I signed up to Tesco mobile today and will be getting new phone delivered this week. I lost my old phone on saturday gone in Portlaoise, so no phone and no sim card. Meteor is posting me out a new sim and im wondering if when I get the new sim from meteor will I be able to use it in the new mobile for 1) Tesco to call me on and 2) put in new tesco sim and work away as normal? Or would it involve them calling me twice? once with meteor sim and the other with tesco sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Hi Paul,
    Will be porting over soon - I'm planning on moving from a rolling 30 day contact (notice just given!) to eventually the capped monthly plan.
    So a few questions, to make sure I do this the best way...
    1/ I already have a Tesco PAYG sim that I've been testing with - would I get €20 free credit for porting my existing number to it even though it's been in use a few months? Or should I just order a new sim?
    2/ Am I correct in thinking the porting credit isn't dependent on topping up by any specific amounts? If I then move to the capped monthly contact, would that credit move with it?
    3/ So I'll have moved number to Tesco PAYG, and then buy a month's internet, and *then* apply to move to capped contract. Will that month's bundle transfer with it? I'd assume so, but best to check!
    4/ And how long does it take to move from PAYG to Bill Pay? Is it fairly instant?
    Thanks in advance!
    Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

can you explain how does the capped plan work?
    i currently have tesco payg and o2 payg sims

so i get billed 10 eur every month, right? how can i pay the bill? i dont want direct debit.

and i get ONLY 30 eur bonus credit or what? what happens if i want to make international calls or call a sex line?

or do i get 10 eur normal credit and 30 eur bonus? or 10 normal and 20 bonus? (like on tesco payg - for 10 eur i get 10 eur normal credit and 10 eur bonus)

do i get something if i move my o2 number to tesco?

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I signed up to Tesco mobile today and will be getting new phone delivered this week. I lost my old phone on saturday gone in Portlaoise, so no phone and no sim card. Meteor is posting me out a new sim and im wondering if when I get the new sim from meteor will I be able to use it in the new mobile for 1) Tesco to call me on and 2) put in new tesco sim and work away as normal? Or would it involve them calling me twice? once with meteor sim and the other with tesco sim?

Hi Gareth,

Yes, Care will need you to call your Meteor to validate ownership but it likely wont work in the Tesco Mobile phone as it will be locked. You may need to get a Meteor or unlocked phone at least temporarily.

regards
    Paul

nephster wrote: »
    Hi Paul,
    Will be porting over soon - I'm planning on moving from a rolling 30 day contact (notice just given!) to eventually the capped monthly plan.
    So a few questions, to make sure I do this the best way...
    1/ I already have a Tesco PAYG sim that I've been testing with - would I get €20 free credit for porting my existing number to it even though it's been in use a few months? Or should I just order a new sim?
    2/ Am I correct in thinking the porting credit isn't dependent on topping up by any specific amounts? If I then move to the capped monthly contact, would that credit move with it?
    3/ So I'll have moved number to Tesco PAYG, and then buy a month's internet, and *then* apply to move to capped contract. Will that month's bundle transfer with it? I'd assume so, but best to check!
    4/ And how long does it take to move from PAYG to Bill Pay? Is it fairly instant?
    Thanks in advance!
    Greg

Hi Greg

1. Yes, you will get the €20 porting bonus but you should do this quickly as the porting bonus is changing to clubcard points from next week for new ports.
    2. Not linked to topup but it doesnt move to Pay Monthly. Only paid for credit is moved to Pay Monthly as a credit on your bill.
    3. No active data bundle does not transfer to capped. Capped is a form of Pay Monthly plan.
    4. You can sign uo in one of 29 Tesco stores from Wed to Saturday. We have staff available on these dats who can sign you up on Pay Monthly. Otherwise the online process can take a few days as the activation code is posted to you to enable the activation.

Hope this helps

regards
    Paul

can you explain how does the capped plan work?
    i currently have tesco payg and o2 payg sims

so i get billed 10 eur every month, right? how can i pay the bill? i dont want direct debit.

and i get ONLY 30 eur bonus credit or what? what happens if i want to make international calls or call a sex line?

or do i get 10 eur normal credit and 30 eur bonus? or 10 normal and 20 bonus? (like on tesco payg - for 10 eur i get 10 eur normal credit and 10 eur bonus)

do i get something if i move my o2 number to tesco?

Hi Henry

Capped is a form of Pay Monthly account with controls.

Basically you pay a subscription to a plan and you get credit to use for the billing period.

10eur subscription gets you 30eur credit
    20eur subscription gets you 60eur credit
    30eur subscription gets you 90eur credit

You dont keep the original subscription (its not like topup)

The credit is is similar to bonus credit in PAYG. It can be used for Irish calls, texts, picture messages and outside bundle data. Premium and non geographic calls/texts, roaming/international calls/texts and bundle purchases cannot be made from this credit.

You can topup addtionally if you wish to make these kind of calls. You do not get bonus credit on these topups.

You get €20 this week for porting your number to PAYG but from next week this promotion is chaging to clubcard points. You dont get porting bonus for coming to Capped or Pay Monthly

Hope this helps
    regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

1. Yes, you will get the €20 porting bonus but you should do this quickly as the porting bonus is changing to clubcard points from next week for new ports.
    regards
    Paul

Hi Paul
    I think you mentioned that there'll be some new phones being added to your range soon. Any idea if this is going to happen before the change in porting bonus?

Thanks

• Advertisement

lil5 wrote: »
    Hi Paul
    I think you mentioned that there'll be some new phones being added to your range soon. Any idea if this is going to happen before the change in porting bonus?

Thanks

No new phones before next week. Few weeks off yet.

Advertisement