Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cork to Dublin

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I have travelled up and down from shannon to meath several times late at night. often wrecked tired after long final shift, hungry and sometimes dying for a leekbiggrin.gif

Athlone that is only proper motorway stop(1/2 mile off)...and only by accident not by planning. Ballinsloe also has a 24 hour shop..but i can only go in there because i know it has one..many would not.
    Also you often see the next exit sign and the town sign with the symbols like fuel, knife and fork, info etc... there should be a seperate symbol for "24 hour fuel"-saving pointless diversions.

Drove across england on saturday, lots of signs telling you how far next stop is and even the stop after that.Also tell you which food place(BK,KFC,Mac Donalds, Starbucks,Costa) so you can decide to go to next one.:p

not like it cost goverment anything...these stops are gold mines.

people mentioned nass road...pointless your practically at end of journey then.Needs be down middle of country. Same with new M1 service station..its practically in Dub.

Last but not least, proper stops I am sure could save lives.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Rodin wrote: »
    Urlingford has 24h fuel.

It is roughly half way on the Cork to Dublin trip. You complained there was nowhere to stop for fuel (why you dont fill up before you leave I dont know) and I just provided you with a place. 2.5km off the motorway.
    And its a proper village, not just a service station.

I think you're just moaning for the sake of it. You probably want a station every mile.

tbh i agree with x in the city, it stupid they could not have put at least 1 proper service station on the motorway, Half way or something.
    Not only for fuel, but for families with young kids to take a break, a cup of coffee, car maintenance etc...
    Having to leave the motorway and find the nearest villiage pump is unacceptable
    on a brand new road.

rodin guess you never did the journey tired with a car full of kids!!:P

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

portlaoise is pretty handy. the midway hotel or whatever its called now is only 30 seconds off the motorway. few different places to get grub in it. large area to sit down. loads of parking. also a petrol station a few hundred meters down the road..

there is also a 24hour petrol station/centra in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

rodin guess you never did the journey tired with a car full of kids!!:P

Tired? Yes. Many times. Belfast to Cork most weekends. Kids? No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I have travelled up and down from shannon to meath several times late at night. often wrecked tired after long final shift, hungry and sometimes dying for a leekbiggrin.gif

Last but not least, proper stops I am sure could save lives.

If you're that tired, that you need to stop to rest, you should be pulling in anywhere. Personally, I find Urlingford great.
    And again, it is only two hours. Its not driving the length of France.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

The service station and McDonalds are meant to opening late April early May at Cashel.

agreed rodin..however motorways are not safe places to pull in anywhere if tired..or even to hop out for a leek.
    They look safe and you would think it safe but there is a reason in other countries there is a cop or recovery vechicle out to a car within minutes of it been seen in hard shoulder.
    The man who died outside Navan before Christmas in low vis after his car broke down is proof motorways are not safe places to breakdown/stop.

Its illegal to piss/stop on side of motorway yet they dont build us service stations:confused:

The foregin trucker/tourist or even the granpa from leitrim may not know of Urlingford/Portlaoise 24 hour shops.

Cost nothing to build these places, Macdonald would probably pay for the slip road.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

bladebrew wrote: »
    totally agree, i left cork on x-mas eve to go to north dublin, due to the weather my 3 hour journey went to 4.5 hours,
    i stopped at the useless small garage on the naas road and they dont have a toilet, i have no idea what the grumpy guy behind the counter did when a toilet break was needed:eek:

leaving the motorway wasnt really an option considering most of the country was buried in snow,

Was it "On the Run" on the Naas dual carriageway ?

I stopped there once and couldn't believe they didn't have a toilet. Only stop in Apple Green on the Naas dual carriageway now because of it.

can somone else confirm that its 3 tolls from cork to the last one on the naas road.

i paid 3..!

you are off your head me thinks, there isn't 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

2 tolls, one on the Limerick/Cork side beyond Portlaoise, And one by Fermoy. The midway stop at Portlaoise has a large foodcourt, its directly off the Motorway, put a 24 hr petrol station beside it and you have a goldmine, and you have your midway petrol/food/slash/poo place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

As another poster mentioned, its impossible to drive Cork - Dublin with a car full of kids without stopping. Thats means stopping in one of those many parking areas along the route. What it its piddling rain?The OP is indeed correct. Its ridicilous in this day and age that there is no stop along this route. I'd have no problem driving it myself but with a car full of kids - not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Dublin to Cork, 2hrs, full tank of fuel, food and use of bathroom before I left. No problem.

Advertisement