Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What accounting and book keeping software?

• 11-08-2015 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Short Story: Small business. Two employees for now. I plan to have my Secretary do the VAT returns and Payroll for the business, with my accountant keeping an eye on it. Any recommendation?

More details......The accountant would cost €50+ VAT per month for the payroll stuff, so I am hoping to keep it in-house for this reason, but mainly because I just want to have closer control with the payroll. My secretary says she has used Sage before, but I haven't gone into any detail, as this was not part of the job description/requirement to begin with. My accountant says he would be happy to show her how to use the software if required. He also set me up on a 2 week trial of Kashflow, but at first glance, it is not something I want to continue with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

can mods move this to accountancy please?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Finding the right software depends on different factors. if you want to chat through options you can PM me your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gard1

Making sure your books and records are correctly completed is essential. Therefore the first question I would ask is whether your secretary is 1.experienced enough to do the work and 2. Has enough time during her working day to keep on top of it. Most of the software does much of the same thing essentially but as an accountant I have gone into more than my fair share of clients who had what they thought were good book keepers and the accounts were all over the place and it took me longer to sort them than if I had done them from scratch. Outsourcing your payroll when there is two staff should be a more economic option. If you send me a pm with your number I can go through some of the options with you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Gard1 wrote: »
    Making sure your books and records are correctly completed is essential. Therefore the first question I would ask is whether your secretary is 1.experienced enough to do the work and 2. Has enough time during her working day to keep on top of it. Most of the software does much of the same thing essentially but as an accountant I have gone into more than my fair share of clients who had what they thought were good book keepers and the accounts were all over the place and it took me longer to sort them than if I had done them from scratch. Outsourcing your payroll when there is two staff should be a more economic option. If you send me a pm with your number I can go through some of the options with you

Thanks for the kind offer. Mr Clonfadda spoke with me over the phone and gave me some pointers.

I would be having my secretary trained into the book keeping and payroll software. My accountant has offered to show her the ropes and to keep an eye on things too. And yes, she would have enough time to keep on top of it. There is very little to be doing at the moment for her and she would be thankful for a bit more to do in the office I think.

My accountant uses Thesaurus and recommended I choose that, because it's what he uses and he would be checking everything regularly to make sure mistakes are not being made.

Advertisement