Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human Resoures Management

• 17-05-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there!

I am currently finished a 4 year Arts degree in Psychology and English and hopefully will be doing a Masters in Human Resource Management in September 2014. I have looked a lot into this area and think it's perfect for me as I have loads of retail experience (Personnel only) and through my psychology studies.

What I would like to know is what I should be doing now in my year off to really impress NUIG when I apply next year and subsequent employers? What do companies look for when recruiting HR Managers? What experience could I get now that would set me apart from the crowd/ make me desirable to an employer in the future?

I have worked in retail since I was 14 and currently am working as a sales assistant in Topaz Energy.

I'd really appreciate any advice/experiences that you can share :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eni1984

I would advise you that you do an internship in the area of Human Resources. It is very difficult to get, but definitely advisable. This way you could find out for yourself which areas are the most interesting and so when you start your masters you will be able to pick your modules wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SozzieJozzie

Thank you for your reply :) I already have been looking for internships, however it seems near impossible to get one unless I quit my job and go on Jobseekers for 3 months so I can qualify for a Jobbridge internship :( I simply cannot do this financially. I have been accepted in the meantime into the Tesco Graduate Leadership Programme final round of interviews which are in 2 weeks in Dublin! However while I remain optimistic about getting the position, I cannot pin all my hopes on this interview and have decided to email a few recruitment consultant agencies etc. to ask for some voluntary experience. Hopefully this works out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eni1984

I know it is very difficult in Ireland to find internships. Its a shame really, cause the long summer brake would be perfect for them, and students wouldn't have to spent their time distributing flyers and similiar thing, but they could actually do something that helps with their futur. I keep my fingers crossed for you. The graduate program would be fantastic :)

Advertisement