Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Areas are Motorhome Friendly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Maybe it would be a shorter list if places that are not MH friendly are identified? (Hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

*Kol* wrote: »
    Maybe it would be a shorter list if places that are not MH friendly are identified? (Hopefully)

Perhaps, but my idea is to list places with proven local authority blessing, like Cobh, Midleton, Dungarvan, Donaghadee, Buncrana, etc. etc., and not the many places we all know where parking is tolerated but unofficial.

There are also private parking areas like Bandon, Sneem, Crossmolina, Woodstown and others where motorhome parking is welcomed and safe.

The listing would be aimed at the many motorhome users who do not like staying at places not officially sanctioned because of a perceived threat of being asked to move on during the night or being treated as 'law breakers'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

That's a great idea and should be very useful. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

29-03-2008, 22:54 #1
    superman2

Adverts | Friends
    Aires de Service at Askeaton
    This is my first posting of a thread as I am new to the site. I just want to advise that an Aires de Service was opened in Askeaton. It is situated in the Swimming Pool Complex and presently is free of charge. Askeaton is situated on the N69. I was told by a member of the Swimming Club that the Munster Motorhome Club were helpful in the setting up of this Aires. I only became aware of this club rcently, thanks to Southern Belle for information on the club, I did a Google search and found their web site, which is presentl under construction. It is nice to know of this service for motorhome users. Are there any more Aires in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Regarding the Cavan Councillor's comments. We had the All Ireland Fleadh here in Cavan for 3 years running, and I was involved in Cavan Rugby club's Camp ground. We put in generators and ran electricity lines under the pitches, and had over 130 camper vans, motor homes and a lot of campers on the pitches. It was a great success, and I think improved the image of what a camp ground should be like, and improved the image of campers and Motor home owners generally. The County manager, Jack Keyes, was so taken that he bought a motor home of his own, after the first year, and stayed on site for the following two Fleadhs. (Even though he lived about 10 miles away) So hopefully we can become more than just a town to bypass on your way to Enniskillen, Bundoran and Donegal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

sunchaser wrote: »
    29-03-2008, 22:54 #1
    superman2

Adverts | Friends
    Aires de Service at Askeaton
    This is my first posting of a thread as I am new to the site. I just want to advise that an Aires de Service was opened in Askeaton. It is situated in the Swimming Pool Complex and presently is free of charge. Askeaton is situated on the N69. I was told by a member of the Swimming Club that the Munster Motorhome Club were helpful in the setting up of this Aires. I only became aware of this club rcently, thanks to Southern Belle for information on the club, I did a Google search and found their web site, which is presentl under construction. It is nice to know of this service for motorhome users. Are there any more Aires in Ireland.

Unfortunately the facility at Askeaton has got little publicity of late and is not what it should be.
    It's not listed on any tourist maps or information leaflets nor on the tourism website for the area.

It's a shame the effort put in by of The Munster Motorhome Club to get it set up was not followed up by proper regulation of the facility which has resulted in some inappropriate use and it has lost its appeal as a nice place to spend a night or two.

Advertisement