Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Dog, New Puppy

Options
  • 22-04-2011 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey guys,

I wanted to get some advice on something: I have an 8 year old female black lab who I adopted 2 years ago. In her previous home she was kept in a small garden all of the time, never got out of it, and had little or no human/ other dog interaction.

She was very anti-social with other dogs when I had her first (she would ignore them and if they persisted in saying hello, she would snap at them)

She has come on leaps and bounds and is generally very friendly to other dogs now, but she is never around other dogs for more than a few mins at a time in the park.

She is very good tempered, placid dog.

I would love to get another dog, and I was thinking of getting a little black lab puppy (I would have loved to breed my dog, but I think she is too old now) but I am wondering what is the best way to go about introducing a new puppy into the house.

Should I get a male or female (will it make a difference), what is the best way to go about it etc.

I thought getting a puppy would be best as introducing an adult dog might prove more difficult (territory wise etc) plus she could be like a surrogate mother.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

I would think that another dog would be great for her the poor thing:( If I was in your situation I would get a male. Female's generally respond well to other male dogs. The way she will react to him will vary some dogs love other dogs while some are territorial and defensive. I guess introducing her to the new pup will tell and hopefully she will be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Miss Boudoir

yes think I will bring her along to the place I intend to get a puppy and introduce them etc.

I think she would just be indifferent to it at first. I don't think she would be happy sharing my affections though! Hopefully it will go ok!!

Advertisement