Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Media Is A Joke

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Thats quite sickening to be honest and very worrying.

Yes. When I read it I also immediately became very worried.
    Very very worried
    Worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Thanks for that.

No Probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Clawdeeus wrote: »
    Incidently, most read article on the Wall Street Journal; http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703560504575612593174135232.html?mod=WSJ_hp_us_mostpop_read

We are boned.
    The WSJ is a rag, has been ever since "one paywall to rule them all" Murdoch took it over. His mouthpieces have been going at it like the hammers since late last week, targeting Ireland as the weakest link in the euro chain, and doing his level best (including spreading outright lies) to destabilise whats left of our economy, hoping it will drag the euro down with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I don't get the grief with libel laws, they're very necessary and anyone would be thankful if it was your name being dragged through the mud by an 'undisclosed source' with no backup
    Our libel laws are the most restrictive and punitive in the Western world. It's a huge problem if you are trying to report on corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭twinytwo

PCros wrote: »
    It is yeah

IMF: Ireland are grand they can get by alone
    EU: No application for bailout received
    Cowen: We didnt apply for a bailout

BBC: Ireland are fúcked
    Sky: Ireland are fúcked
    Bloomberg: Ireland are fúcked etc etc

Who do we believe the media or the actually parties involved?

Well considering you cant trust the eu or cowen as far as you can throw them... and for cowan that isnt very far:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

I don't get the grief with libel laws, they're very necessary and anyone would be thankful if it was your name being dragged through the mud by an 'undisclosed source' with no backup

Yeah. For defamation to stick it has to be provably false. There are no laws in this country preventing people from saying something bad about someone and the bad stuff is demonstrably true. Thats called 'telling the sad, disappointing truth'.

The media in this country has largely failed as the fourth estate leaving it up to the likes of wikileaks to carry the torch alone. I don't blame journalists for not wanting to put themselves in the line of fire or in the most extreme cases become Anna Politkovskayas in exposing difficult political realities. That said, you have to question the point of journalism that doesn't challenge any institutions of power. If you aren't politically, morally and socially invested in what you are writing about then how can you expect your readers to be the same?

There is no reason that I can think of for why papers like the Mail should exist if the best they can do is sanitize real journalism from wikileaks and associated press. Its just white noise and they may as well not exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I don't think its that clear cut though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Tin Foil Hat time.

Most people here got really spooked because of an article in the Irish Times last week by Morgan Kelly. Personally I think that article was a bit over the top, his assumption of 2% being the maximum interest rate that Ireland could countenance is nonsensical.

But the Irish Times is part of the Irish Media.

And there was McWilliams, a lonely ( but not the only) prophet for years in the Sunday Business Post. Convinced me not to buy in Ireland. If he didnt convince you then you are not that bright. The SBT is part of the Irish Media.

This stuff was all available, and it was all available in the Irish media. I have always believed that Ireland would drop about 20% because construction was 20% and we have massive over-supply of housing, simple economics. But is has dropped now.

I think that the present doom and gloom is a kind of masochistic and political-tribal thing, reminds me of the Daily Telegraph comment section on the labour deficit. The BBC wasnt reporting that, was an arm of government etc.

unless RTE is reporting the worst analysis of all the outsiders ( who are just reporting Kelly anyway) the tin foil hat brigade goes nuts.

Even if the IMF comes in Ireland will survive, in fact grow. With funding and deficit reduction, the bond market will open in a few years. It is not the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

Nodin wrote: »
    I don't think its that clear cut though.

In essense it is though. If you say something that has negative consequences for someone else, it is based in fact and it is the right of the public to know, then no defamation case is going to stack up against you. If it hypothetically did then it would expressly forbid the truth to be told in circumstances where an individual or organisation can privately benefit from its concealment.

Therefore media organisations have absolutely nothing to fear so long as their information is accurate, stated in unambiguous terms and reliably sourced. Thats like essay writing 101 though.

If you can't provide accurate, clear and concise information with appropriate references then you don't print it, precisely because passing off unreliable and damaging information that later turns out to be false makes you a big fat target for a libel suit.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    The WSJ is a rag, has been ever since "one paywall to rule them all" Murdoch took it over. His mouthpieces have been going at it like the hammers since late last week, targeting Ireland as the weakest link in the euro chain, and doing his level best (including spreading outright lies) to destabilise whats left of our economy, hoping it will drag the euro down with it.

Yep. And the Telegraph too. They are sympathetic to Ireland ( making cuts unlike Greece ) but are pushing the end of the Euro. The co-ordinated campaign is a right wing attack on Europe. Do we want RTE to join in?

Europe is heading towards 1931.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Hayte wrote: »
    In essense it is though. If you say something that has negative consequences for someone else, it is based in fact and it is the right of the public to know, then no defamation case is going to stack up against you. If it hypothetically did then it would expressly forbid the truth to be told in circumstances where an individual or organisation can privately benefit from its concealment.

Therefore media organisations have absolutely nothing to fear so long as their information is accurate, stated in unambiguous terms and reliably sourced. Thats like essay writing 101 though.

If you can't provide accurate, clear and concise information with appropriate references then you don't print it, precisely because passing off unreliable and damaging information that later turns out to be false makes you a big fat target for a libel suit.

Put it much better than I ever could

Tin Foil Hat time.

Most people here got really spooked because of an article in the Irish Times last week by Morgan Kelly. Personally I think that article was a bit over the top, his assumption of 2% being the maximum interest rate that Ireland could countenance is nonsensical.

But the Irish Times is part of the Irish Media.

And there was McWilliams, a lonely ( but not the only) prophet for years in the Sunday Business Post. Convinced me not to buy in Ireland. If he didnt convince you then you are not that bright. The SBT is part of the Irish Media.

This stuff was all available, and it was all available in the Irish media. I have always believed that Ireland would drop about 20% because construction was 20% and we have massive over-supply of housing, simple economics. But is has dropped now.

I think that the present doom and gloom is a kind of masochistic and political-tribal thing, reminds me of the Daily Telegraph comment section on the labour deficit. The BBC wasnt reporting that, was an arm of government etc.

unless RTE is reporting the worst analysis of all the outsiders ( who are just reporting Kelly anyway) the tin foil hat brigade goes nuts.

Even if the IMF comes in Ireland will survive, in fact grow. With funding and deficit reduction, the bond market will open in a few years. It is not the end of the world.
    Ireland is bankrupt. This isn't some sort of doom-and-gloom business, it's just a fact. Same as during the bubble, when those who were correctly pointing out that it WAS a bubble were labelled as 'doomsayers'. There's a difference between negativity for its own sake (which I have no time for) and realism (which is what we need). And the reality is that the country is broke - time to start dealing with that reality.

Hayte wrote: »

You are part right, and part wrong. Talk to a journalist about the tight-rope they walk, even when they have no intention of libelling anyone. Libel is the first thing you learn about if you're a journo in this country, and virtually every libel is accidental - yet there are still plenty of them. So journos end up dancing around the facts, afraid to say anything. Ever wonder how Charles Haughey corruptly enriched himself and had lots of affairs, and it never made the newspapers until he was finished?

If you want penetrating journalism, the libel laws will need to be tackled. If you are happy with the job they have done of exposing the goings-on during the property-bubble, the stuff that Anglo, INBS, FF and the others were pulling, then the laws are fine. If you think that they totally failed to report what was really going on, look at the libels laws (along with a couple of other factors).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ever wonder how Charles Haughey corruptly enriched himself and had lots of affairs, and it never made the newspapers until he was finished?

There was plenty of dirt on Charlie. Plenty of insinuations and proof of phone tapping on Bruce Arnold and others.

Same with Bertie. FF still where the most popular and successful party in the state.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

An interesting point someone touched upon there from which Ive heard something similar although its just conspiracy theories at work in many peoples eyes...

That this huge apocalypse media campaign is coming from New York and London where the fat chickens are gawking at the end of the Euro as a currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

TBF to the Irish media recently gave us Fade St. so its not all bad

It would seem they are.

Apparently a ITN News reporter has got the scoop on Ireland and the EU bail out:

Dick Roche tells ITV News he thinks Irish bailout will happen tomorrow

All over P.ie and Twitter, based on an interview with Dick Roche.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

K-9 wrote: »
    It would seem they are.

Apparently a ITN News reporter has got the scoop on Ireland and the EU bail out:

Roche said earlier that "There is no reason why we should trigger an IMF or EU-type bailout.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-16/roche-says-ireland-has-taken-very-strong-steps-on-banks.html

• Advertisement

Ireland is bankrupt. This isn't some sort of doom-and-gloom business, it's just a fact. Same as during the bubble, when those who were correctly pointing out that it WAS a bubble were labelled as 'doomsayers'. There's a difference between negativity for its own sake (which I have no time for) and realism (which is what we need). And the reality is that the country is broke - time to start dealing with that reality.

You didnt read a word I said. I said that most of the information people have here is from Irish sources, since we are on the topic of Irish media.

You replied with the Country Is Bankrupt argument.
    Two can play at that game:

Whats the price of tea these days? Charles Dickens.

EDIT:

itspossible the OP wants to rename to RTE is a Joke.

You didnt read a word I said. I said that most of the information people have here is from Irish sources, since we are on the topic of Irish media.

You replied with the Country Is Bankrupt argument.
    Two can play at that game:
    I was responding to this part of your post specifically:

...and also to your concluding point that things will be ok. You're right that it's not the end of the world, but the 80s weren't the end of the world either and they were not much fun in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

It would seem they are.

Any source for that?

Looking at the ITN website, I can't find anything about it. Just about 50 stories on some guy and some chick getting engaged. Sounds very reliable to me:D

dotsman wrote: »
    Any source for that?

Looking at the ITN website, I can't find anything about it. Just about 50 stories on some guy and some chick getting engaged. Sounds very reliable to me:D

Well the guy who runs politics.ie picked up on it.

I suppose we'll know tomorrow how accurate it is.

Its time to expose the Irish media in all of this mess. They are nothing less than traitors to Ireland.

RTE in particular have been incredibly lazy and incompetemt about getting the truth out about what is going on in this country and informing the people. Only now when they have woken up to the fact that the Irish are going to foreign news agencies to find out the truth about what is hapening in our own country are they copping on to the fact that the spin that comes out from the politicians mouths is just that, spin and not news.

RTE are now doing a panick system meltdown and much-too-late about-turn, knowing that finally their masters are no longer in control. It's pitiable stuff. I have heard hard questioning of Irish government ministers only on the BBC and Sky. There they make no bones about saying that the government screwed us up, here you would draw breath if you ever heard such a thing from the cosy and incestuous world of the national broadcaster. Absolutely pathetic show by RTE.

If they removed RTE from my television and so let me off the license fee I'd be a happy man. Or if they let me choose to give the money to TG4 entirely. I do not want to pay for this undemocratic propaganda and ineptitude!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Until now, I never realised what it was like to be in some banana republic where the media was controlled by the government. Ireland in 2010 is comparable to the USSR pre 1989 where we have to depend on foreign news sources to understand whats happening in our own country!

Yesterday we were North Korea.. today we are USSR... ah the world of AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It would seem they are.

He needs to be brought out the back and put out of our misery. most of the front bench could go with him.

He needs to be brought out the back and put out of our misery. most of the front bench could go with him.

lulz.

On a side note, I found this quite lulzworth which i though Id share.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=462573808666&set=a.390332278666.167520.367914563666

I think she clarified the tweet after that, but yes, she was correct!

So yes, the Irish media is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

All media is a joke.. those great foreign news sources were making unsubstantiated claims about our future yesterday

not looking so unsubsantiated now i guess.......apparently was leaked bt ECB to BBC et al. to force our government to smell the roses!

Advertisement