Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

legspin wrote: »

Wonderful when you see this sort of thing getting released online.

Open source is a very powerful concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

This is so cool:

Scientists have connected the brains of lab rats, allowing one to communicate directly to another via cables.
    The wired brain implants allowed sensory and motor signals to be sent from one rat to another, creating the first ever brain-to-brain interface.

More here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21604005

I can just imagine the numerous applications of this breakthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Gbear wrote: »
    Wonderful when you see this sort of thing getting released online.

Open source is a very powerful concept.

Dammit, I'm one version of Matlab away from being able to run that code! I know what I'll be doing in college tomorrow instead of assignment work! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

New archaeological evidence suggests that America was first discovered by Stone Age people from Europe – 10,000 years before the Siberian-originating ancestors of the American Indians set foot in the New World.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/new-evidence-suggests-stone-age-hunters-from-europe-discovered-america-7447152.html

As a friend of mine put it 'This will be an interesting controversy. We will have 50% of Americans saying "We have more rights than the Native Americans cos we were here first" and 50% saying "But the earth is only 6'000 years old" The problem is they will be the same 50%.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/new-evidence-suggests-stone-age-hunters-from-europe-discovered-america-7447152.html

As a friend of mine put it 'This will be an interesting controversy. We will have 50% of Americans saying "We have more rights than the Native Americans cos we were here first" and 50% saying "But the earth is only 6'000 years old" The problem is they will be the same 50%.'

Sorry My Lady, I just had to steal the article and your friend's comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A very interesting article. The only thing that would give me pause is that historically some people have planted finds in the US, I've certainly heard of it with Roman coins, but I'm sure that those clever archaeologist will have some way to rule those kind of shenanigans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

There's quite a good treatment of this topic here:

The rest of the series is well worth a watch too.

Also, AronRa makes a reference to and slightly rambly summary of the above episode here:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Skynet gets one step closer:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote: »

Skynet 0 - Traffic 1.

5PPep.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

As a friend of mine put it 'This will be an interesting controversy. We will have 50% of Americans saying "We have more rights than the Native Americans cos we were here first"

Get one of those spinning globes of the Earth. Viewed from the top (the North Pole), the terms east and west, Europe and Asia, become meaningless. What you see is interconnected islands and small easily crossable seas. In those regions today you still have Inuit, Lapps, Samii etc. who are Northern peoples, more than they belong to the West or the East. Finnish is an Asian language. The blonde type of Scandinavians seem to have arrived up there later.
    In other words, whether early settlers arrived in America from Europe or Asia, or both, they were probably all "Eskimos."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

recedite wrote: »
    Still, knowing that the last thing they will feel is the water on their tongue starting to boil, makes up for not seeing your nemesis actually explode.
    Just before you push him out, tell him: "Good riddance Mr Bond, I have ensured to leave a bad taste in your mouth, literally."

Dades wrote: »
    Skynet 0 - Traffic 1.
    Been browsing liveleak's collection of Russian dashcam videos again, have we?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Call me back when they build a giant anime mech. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Was that robot designed to hurl concrete blocks around the workshop, or was it just having a particularly bad day?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

recedite wrote: »
    Was that robot designed to hurl concrete blocks around the workshop, or was it just having a particularly bad day?

I'm guessing it's a really early prototype for something that clears debris from collapsed buildings, etc..

I'd imagine that in those circumstances rather than ****ing around with this silly robot that has to clippity clop around to stop itself falling a spider-like robot would be better.

I'd imagine that the four-legged sort would be faster on the flat.

Lol - I just reread that and it looks suspiciously like someone pretending to know what they're talking about :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Fantastic development. A child born with HIV in the US has been (functionally) cured.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Without the use of condoms. +1 for Jeezus.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ninja900 wrote: »
    Without the use of condoms. +1 for Jeezus.

Was the Child baptised? I'll bet it was that extra sprinkle of Holy Water that dowsed the bad HIV away from this innocent soul.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Been browsing liveleak's collection of Russian dashcam videos again, have we?
    Not yet! Though I did come across a deadly compilation that showed a truckful of live cows spilling across the road. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Something something historical document, mumble mumble logical, cough cough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sarky wrote: »
    Something something lack of historical documents, mumble no proof mumble logical conclusion, cough church lies cough.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

Edward Gibbon said as much in Decline and Fall, in his deliciously savage -- and infamous -- discourse upon the progress of christianity:
    We shall conclude this chapter by a melancholy truth which obtrudes itself on the reluctant mind; that, even admitting, without hesitation or inquiry, all that history has recorded, or devotion has feigned, on the subject of martyrdoms, it must still be acknowledged that the Christians, in the course of their intestine dissensions, have inflicted far greater severities on each other than they had experienced from the zeal of infidels. During the ages of ignorance which followed the subversion of the Roman empire in the West, the bishops of the Imperial city extended their dominion over the laity as well as clergy of the Latin church. The fabric of superstition which they had erected, and which might long have defied the feeble efforts of reason, was at length assaulted by a crowd of daring fanatics, who, from the twelfth to the sixteenth century, assumed the popular character of reformers.

The church of Rome defended by violence the empire which she had acquired by fraud; a system of peace and benevolence was soon disgraced by the proscriptions, wars, massacres, and the institution of the holy office. And as the reformers were animated by the love of civil as well as of religious freedom, the Catholic princes connected their own interest with that of the clergy, and enforced by fire and the sword the terrors of spiritual censures. In the Netherlands alone more than one hundred thousand of the subjects of Charles V. are said to have suffered by the hand of the executioner; and this extraordinary number is attested by Grotius, a man of genius and learning, who preserved his moderation amidst the fury of contending sects, and who composed the annals of his own age and country at a time when the invention of printing had facilitated the means of intelligence and increased the danger of detection.

If we are obliged to submit our belief to the authority of Grotius, it must be allowed that the number of Protestants who were executed in a single province and a single reign far exceeded that of the primitive martyrs in the space of three centuries and of the Roman empire. But if the improbability of the fact itself should prevail over the weight of evidence; if Grotius should be convicted of exaggerating the merit and sufferings of the reformers; we shall be naturally led to inquire what confidence can be placed in the doubtful and imperfect monuments of ancient credulity; what degree of credit can be assigned to a courtly bishop and a passionate declaimer, who, under the protection of Constantine, enjoyed the exclusive privilege of recording the persecutions inflicted on the Christians by the vanquished rivals or disregarded predecessors of their gracious sovereign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Liamario wrote: »

From the article:
    So, what is atheism? "It's is not a religion. Becoming an atheist is more of a journey than a choice. It is a gradual quest for answers about life and the universe as a whole," said Kamugisha Ndahiro, a successful businessman. "Curiosity is paramount, and the need to escape all the dogma we were taught back in school."

Having a conversation with an atheist makes you realise how little you know about your own religion.

"You do not need religion to know what is wrong and what is right," says Ndahiro. "In fact, what religious people do practice is not morality. I consider a moral action as that which is free from promises like a heaven or fear of hell."

Durrr.
    seamus wrote: »
    Eamonn Coughlan has suggested [in the Seanad] that people should have to register their passport or credit card before being allowed online.

Life ain't always empty.

Eamonn Coughlan sounds like this guy:
    surfingonlaptop.jpg?1312632354

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0308/1224330912879.html
    Dr DNA to visit Dublin as statue unveiled

A 6m aluminium sculpture is being installed at the National Botanic Gardens in Dublin to mark the 60th anniversary of DNA, the human genetic blueprint. Dr James Watson and Francis Crick revealed the structure of DNA in 1953. Dr Watson will be in Dublin on April 27th to unveil the piece and to deliver a public lecture on April 28th.

Life ain't always empty.

Next Monday evening, 11th March, Andrew Liddle of Edinburgh University will be giving a lecture on 'Fingerprinting the Universe' in TCD:

http://www.astronomy.ie/lecture201303.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So Israel is currently dealing with a plague of locusts. I really, REALLY hope a Palestinian walks up to the wall shouting "Let my people go!" :pac:

http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_03_07/Israel-plague-of-Egypt-returns/

Advertisement