Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

where can i get Goat meat in cork

• 12-08-2015 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭

As it says on the title.

Just out of curiosity I would love to find some goat meat. It is one of the most popular meats in the world but we can't get here. Well not anywhere I know

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Google says;

http://www.bandonfarmersmarket.com/stalls/maughanasilly-organic-farm/
    Stallholder: Martin & Yvon O' Flynn & Family
    Phone: 027 - 66111
    Address: Maughanasilly, Kealkill, Bantry

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Boards says ... Try the Cork City forum. :)

Moved.

tHB

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Standard answer for where can I get XXX foodstuff in Cork - try the English market - there's a specialty/game butchers shop in there. Failing that there is/was a halal butchers on the north main street , those would be my 2 guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

My First port of call was the market a week or two ago and I asked a butcher and he didn't know of anybody.

Anyway coincidence or what but on Newstalk this afternoon they was a caller asking the same question. Apparently they is a butcher in Moore street in cork that sells it. That's down around the South infirmary I think. Otherwise I will try the halal place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    My First port of call was the market a week or two ago and I asked a butcher and he didn't know of anybody.

Anyway coincidence or what but on Newstalk this afternoon they was a caller asking the same question. Apparently they is a butcher in Moore street in cork that sells it. That's down around the South infirmary I think. Otherwise I will try the halal place.

Moore Street is behind the Mercy hospital.
    I can't picture a butcher's there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Had0ken

I tried to get goat meat in the city before. Couldn't find it anywhere, even the halal shops.

If you really need goat meat, you can get it in Waterford City. Spice World is the name of the place I think, halal shop.

It's very tough stuff though! You'd need to stew it for at least two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Puck fair tomorrow:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's not goat at all, but mutton. Might be better off asking for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

surprised its so hard to get in cork... I remember hearing a few years back that some nationalities think African (correct me if im wrong) use it in their local dishes

surprised its so hard to get in cork... I remember hearing a few years back that some nationalities think African (correct me if im wrong) use it in their local dishes

It's Afro-Caribbean, and we don't. Curried goat is in fact mutton...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I just asked professor wikipedia and apparently goat meat is sometimes called mutton leading to a bit of confusion. Goat is the most widely consumed meat in the world, not by volume but the amount of people who eat it. You would think therefor it should be easy to get here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's a dose of an animal to farm for meat though on any scale isn't it?... Aggressive.

Mutton is one of the tastiest meats you'll ever eat if it's cooked properly. Try that instead. Very close.

And you might want to reconsider sourcing halal meat. halal slaughter is banned for humane reasons in loads of European countries, having seen both methods, I'd like to see halal slaughter banned here too. Would not support it.

It's Afro-Caribbean, and we don't. Curried goat is in fact mutton...

No I was talking of goats meat not mutton (ive had it stewed in Cuba wasn't bad either even though the food over there is bland), but the only place I know to get it is in Dublin and that's only in recent years..if you talk to a goat farmer, they don't like new borns been male as they are deemed economically worthless but with the arrival of migrants here there is now a very smallmarket for it. I thought with the variety of cultures in cork and our own expanding food ventures maybe someone might be selling it

No I was talking of goats meat not mutton (ive had it stewed in Cuba wasn't bad either even though the food over there is bland), but the only place I know to get it is in Dublin and that's only in recent years..if you talk to a goat farmer, they don't like new borns been male as they are deemed economically worthless but with the arrival of migrants here there is now a very smallmarket for it. I thought with the variety of cultures in cork and our own expanding food ventures maybe someone might be selling it

No. They might tell you it's goat, but it's not. It's actually mutton as I say. Names are interchangeable in the West Indies. They will call sheep goats when in fact they're not.

No. They might tell you it's goat, but it's not. It's actually mutton as I say. Names are interchangeable in the West Indies. They will call sheep goats when in fact they're not.

not always it was actual goats meat we had it at the farm itself..... as for it in Ireland I remember now it was ear to the ground a few years back that did the feature on goats meat starting to be used over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

As a matter of interest, where can you mutton in Cork, the sheep's varitity mind you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

most of the "lamb" around at the moment will be mutton

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

roundymac wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, where can you mutton in Cork, the sheep's varitity mind you.

The Meat Centre in English Market usually has mutton.

Advertisement