Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

That awkward moment when you come to Feedback to post about 503 errors...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

seamus wrote: »
    Damn kids don't know how good they have it. A few blips and everyone loses their mind.

Back in my day the site ran like an ant through a wet turd and was sometimes more than it was up.
    Sometimes more what mad? C.mon, don't leave us hanging like this!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Perhaps it's time to give the hamsters back their 3am break.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Quazzie wrote: »
    Sometimes more what mad? C.mon, don't leave us hanging like this!!!!
    Sometimes it couldn't even.

Can you imagine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello all,

So I've got an update for you all about what happened over the weekend that caused the site to b0rk.

One of the two machines that runs our firewall (they're called Cookie and Monster because muppet.png) was put under monumental pressure and that caused it to glitch out. But this is why we have a backup. Monster was running a configuration used for limited testing and debugging of the new site, and this configuration couldn’t handle the traffic it was now tasked with. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a big deal to sort out for Chris when the first alerts started to roll in around 10am on Sunday, but at that time he was out of the country on a well earned holiday.

So because of all that, we had to get someone in Digiweb to physically go and restart the Cookie so we could log in to the back end and figure out what was happening. This took a bit of time to establish and square away as you saw yesterday, but we're back now and working hard to figure out what caused the initial problems for Cookie and why it wasn't able to come back online and sync back up with Monster.

Again, we're very sorry for the down time, it's even less fun for us than it is for you, believe me.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The names of the machines make me want to hug them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Now I want a cookie... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Could you not have sent the corporate jet to get Chris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

OSI wrote: »
    I hear it was on a coke and hookers run.

Why did they need to send out for rugby players and a few cans ? Could they not just have asked George Hook if he could stop off in Tesco on the way in to HQ.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Thanks for the update. I always wonder what has happened when the site goes AWOL.

Least it wasn't the Dav factor.

Now tell me more about the new site please........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Dav wrote: »

Oh yeah I remember.

I remember being bitterly disappointed that Glen Hansard wasn't doing an AMA that is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It. Is. Happening. Again.

And again today. Every time I post a reply I get a 503 the first time. It works the second time.
    This is on the touch site I that makes a difference.

Also I always need to hit the thanks button at least twice for it to register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

And again today. Every time I post a reply I get a 503 the first time. It works the second time.
    This is on the touch site I that makes a difference.

Also I always need to hit the thanks button at least twice for it to register.

Hmmm... I haven't seen reports of similar behaviour from anyone else. Is it only the touch site you're getting issues on? Are you registered for the beta?

Hmmm... I haven't seen reports of similar behaviour from anyone else. Is it only the touch site you're getting issues on? Are you registered for the beta?
    I haven't used the desktop site or the app in a few days but I'll check. It happens mostly early in the morning.

ETA it didn't happen with this post from the touch site for example. I'm not registered for the beta site either. I use the old school skin when on the desktop FWIW.

It just happened again while editing another unrelated post on touch, so scratch that about the early morning timeframe.

I said unrelated but the two things seem to be closely linked in fact. If I try to thank a post and the thanks doesn't register I can be certain that the next post I make will result in a 503 at the fist attempt and be successful when I retry.
    Not sure if that helps or if I'm on my own with this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

I wonder. Sounds like it might be related to the JavaScript. Couple more questions:
    Is this on mobile data or WiFi?
    If data could you let me know what network you are on?
    If you can, could you visithttp://www.boards.ie/diagnostics and copy and paste the contents into a PM to me please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Trying to post at the moment, nothing happening. Not getting an error message, just nothing happening. Let's see if this posts.

I wonder. Sounds like it might be related to the JavaScript. Couple more questions:
    Is this on mobile data or WiFi?
    If data could you let me know what network you are on?
    If you can, could you visithttp://www.boards.ie/diagnostics and copy and paste the contents into a PM to me please?
    WiFi only.

I sent the PM and got a 503. Re sent it OK. Just prior I had tried to view thanks on a post and it took two goes to display so I could tell it was going to time out when I submitted

ETA: this post 503'd also

• Advertisement

I seem to be on my own with this... FWIW the android application does not work at all, I just get a blank screen in lieu of my threads etc.

Advertisement