Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets Passport Rabies Vaccination

• 09-02-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi, I've to move to Switzerland to work and I want to take my dog, would never give him away! I may have to leave within 2 months time. I'm trying to keep costs to a min since I'm on a tight budget. I also want the option to bring him back to Ireland if needed so he must be vaccinated. Does anyone know what it costs to chip and vaccinate him against Rabies, and where can it be done cheaply? I know I have to do it soon as possible as he needs an antibody test before he goes as well, so if it saves money I'll go to a vet the other side of the country! I live in Galway.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

There is a set cost and you wont get it done in 2 months, sorry to tell you.

It takes 6 months to get results to come back so you can take your dog if you are going in 2 months time but you cant return for at least 6 months.

Think it costs over 100 euro at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭shu

In Wicklow it costs about 250 to have the rabies vacc and blood test 30 days later. If you need the microchip thatll be about another 30 euro and that needs to be done before or on the same day as the rabies vacc. You could take the dog out of the country straight after the blood test results come back(as long as it's positive) but you won't be able to take him back into Ireland until 6 months from the date of the blood test.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

andreac wrote: »
    It takes 6 months to have bloodtests done and results to come back so there is no way you can take your dog if you are going in 2 months time im afraid.

This isn't quite right- you can leave Ireland before the 6 months elapse, but you may not re-enter Ireland until 6months after the result of your rabies serology.

You'd want to get going on the whole thing right away.
    1. Microchip your dog, get a rabies vac, and apply for passport (vet does this)
    2. 4 weeks after vac, get blood drawn for rabies serology (to test that the rabies antibody level in blood is high enough)- you'll have result in less than a month
    3. Get passport stamped and signed by vet
    4. Travel
    5. Wait 6 months from result of test before you can re-enter Ireland

If your dog is not already chipped you're looking at 150-200 euro, depending on your local vet fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bog Bunny

shu wrote: »
    In Wicklow it costs about 250 to have the rabies vacc and blood test 30 days later. If you need the microchip thatll be about another 30 euro and that needs to be done before or on the same day as the rabies vacc. You could take the dog out of the country straight after the blood test results come back(as long as it's positive) but you won't be able to take him back into Ireland until 6 months from the date of the blood test.

Correction. You can take the dog out of the country as soon as it has his pet passport and his certified rabies shot, but the six months titer rule does not apply for dogs leaving Ireland (which is rabies free).
    This six months rule (waiting for the bloodtest results plus six month 'in country' quarantine) only applies if you want to take your dog on holidays and intend to enter Ireland again after a short time.
    If you start the ball rolling here, then take the dog out to Switzerland, wait for the return of the blood test and then 'sit out' the six months there, it's no problem. However, should the blood test come back with a lower than allowed titer, you'd have to start all over again. So that's the risk when you leave here with just the passport and the rabies shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Bog Bunny wrote: »
    If you start the ball rolling here, then take the dog out to Switzerland, wait for the return of the blood test and then 'sit out' the six months there, it's no problem. However, should the blood test come back with a lower than allowed titer, you'd have to start all over again. So that's the risk when you leave here with just the passport and the rabies shot.

But you the dog could be in Switzerland for those 6 months after the next titre (if required), you wouldn't have to put him in quarantine. Not sure how much it costs over there, probably cheaper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭soapbloggs

Thanks for the assistance guys.

I think I'll just get a passport here and vaccinate him there at a later date, I think that is fine that way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im nearly sure you have to get the vaccinations done to get the passport, but im not 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Actually, anyone can get a passport, regardless of vaccination status, but for your dog's safety, I'd vaccinate before going as rabies is a death sentence if they get it.
    You may also want to check what the local laws are on rabies vac to make sure you get it done in time if there are laws about it- I know in the US you must have a rabies vac to get a licence (and their licences are actually enforced, unlike Ireland).
    Safe travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 taja1502

Hi people,

I don't know if anyone still reads this thread.. But I will keep my hopes up :)

My question is do I need to vaccinate my dog for rabies while in Ireland.
    I "imported" my dog from a country that of course has rabies, I've got all the papers and after 6 months period my dog is here with me.
    But now I am not sure should I continue to vaccinate her...I would like to avoid it because my opinion is vaccinations of that kind are not to healthy for dogs...
    Please let me know, if anyone know something or where can I ask.

Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

taja1502 wrote: »
    Hi people,

I don't know if anyone still reads this thread.. But I will keep my hopes up :)

My question is do I need to vaccinate my dog for rabies while in Ireland.
    I "imported" my dog from a country that of course has rabies, I've got all the papers and after 6 months period my dog is here with me.
    But now I am not sure should I continue to vaccinate her...I would like to avoid it because my opinion is vaccinations of that kind are not to healthy for dogs...
    Please let me know, if anyone know something or where can I ask.

Thanks! :)

No you don't have to vaccinate for rabies in Ireland, but if you intend to take your dog out of the country and return, then I would suggest you keep the vaccinations up. You can take your dog to the UK without the pet passport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement