Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acer Aspire E1-572 in Currys?

• 20-05-2014 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

http://www.currys.ie/Product/acer-aspire-e1572-156andrdquo-laptop-red/321532/7.36

Is the above laptop good bang for my buck?Need a new laptop but budget is limited.Generally use it for browsing,storing photos,Youtube,watching movies/sport etc.So I don't need a top of the range laptop. Is there a better alternative at a better price in a bricks and mortar store?Don't know a whole pile about computers so maybe somebody can advise me,thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Anyone got any opinions on this?I'm probably going to buy either the Acer above in Currys or -

ASUS F551CA-SX079H - http://www.currys.ie/Product/asus-f551casx079h-156-laptop/321303/7.36

or

HP Pavilion 15-n290sa - http://www.currys.ie/Product/hp-pavilion-15n290sa-156-laptop/321318/7.42

or this in Powercity- http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-30-557320&pages=1&prod=557320&brands=fujitsu&image=

The Acer and Fujitsu are more expensive but have i5 processors......I presume thats quicker and better than the i3 in the other two laptops.All have HDMI and enough storage for me.So,which of the 3 would knowledgeable boardsie's go for??

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

Of the four you listed I'd go for the Acer I think. The i3-3217u processor is quite a bit slower, and the i5-2450 is a bit older. The i5-4200u in the Acer is the most recent processor of the four. It looks like a pretty good price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

While the Acer was never worth 600 euro it's still a decent laptop for its price. I've had it a year now with no problems.

I did a comparison on that cpuboss.com website and the i5-2450m just shaded the i5-4200u.....is that site reliable?Other comparison sites said they were pretty similar. Is that because they didnt consider the 2.6 GHz TurboBoost the Acer has??
    By the way,what exactly does that mean???I'm a computer novice!!

cpubenchmark.net is very handy too for checking the relative ratings of cpus.
    The i5-2450 gets a slightly higher rating on that, but the intel graphics that come with the newer i5 should be quite a bit better.

Plus, you'd wonder if the older i5 computer has been sitting in a stock room for a year or two...
    The reason the newer i5 isn't more powerful is that it's a ULV processor (hence the u).
    They are supposed to use less energy (ULV - Ultra Low Voltage) and are a bit weaker as a result.

If you're not doing a lot of heavy photo or video editing or gaming, then either of the i5s should be more than enough.

I bought a Lenovo G500s on amazon.de for 425e delivered...it has an i5-3230 but comes without windows which you may want.

TLDR - Basically, either of the i5s should be suitably powerful for your needs!

• Advertisement

Lads,need your advice. My budget has changed cos my car is fecked but I still need a half decent laptop. Was in Currys today and they have this on sale-
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/packard-bell-easynote-te69-156-laptop-silver-and-black/321881/7.36#tech

I don't know a whole pile about laptops but read online that Acer bought Packard Bell a few years ago. I defo have to go to a store as I have a one4all gift card for €100 and damn all cash to put with it!!That Packard Bell seems to have enough storage for me,has HDMI,webcam for Skype and quad core processor which,I hope, might be fast enough for me(I have ancient Lenovo N200 which keeps shutting down). I know its not even close to the Acer above but is it even half decent???

The processor in that one is pretty weak. It will still be able to do the things you asked about but it only gets a score of about 1,000 on cpubenchmark.

I had a quick look on the argos site and they have a packard bell too, for about 350e I think, but it comes with an a4-5000 processor which gets a much higher score of 1,900 on cpubencmark.

I had a little look at the strengths of the processors and the a4 looks to be better but I don't have enough knowledge to be sure.
    The a4 has good graphical capabilities and is good at multi-threaded tasks but might not be great for single-threaded, although it is probably still as good as the Celery.

Where's Torqay these days!?

Anyway, argos seems to have decent prices for a b&m shop, and you can use the voucher there too.

Cheers for that. Yeh, I don't know a whole pile about laptops, the amount of different processors give me a pain in my head!! I just want a good value, well priced laptop that won't give me trouble. I'll look at Argos also.
    Edit- That laptop you mentioned is out of stock everywhere!

The Acer I listed in first post seems gone now........I've no money to get a new one so will have to wait a few more weeks,hopefully a nice bargain might pop up somewere!!!

Advertisement