Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SSD in new laptop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 masterofp

Lock Knife wrote: »
    Going away and am getting a small laptop. Since I'll be traveling I'm going to replace the hard drive with an ssd. Don't have much of a budget but I'm looking at these two. Are they compatible?

[Had to cut links - as new users aren't allowed to post URL's]

Connection wise - they are. Size wise - they should be. Sometimes there is a problem fitting the SSD into the bay, as the SSD will be a bit bigger than regular HDDs (the housing is more square - where HDDs have a bit of a slope on the connector side).

I had two cases that one needed a tiny bit of plastic removed from the base of a laptop (I think it might have been a Toshiba). The other one I had to strip the SSD from it's housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Lock Knife

masterofp wrote: »
    Connection wise - they are. Size wise - they should be. Sometimes there is a problem fitting the SSD into the bay, as the SSD will be a bit bigger than regular HDDs (the housing is more square - where HDDs have a bit of a slope on the connector side).

I had two cases that one needed a tiny bit of plastic removed from the base of a laptop (I think it might have been a Toshiba). The other one I had to strip the SSD from it's housing.

Nice one masterofp. Yeah was just in the shop and asked the guy there but since they are newish laptops he hadn't heard of anyone putting one in yet. Not much on the net either. Might be a bit of a gamble. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 39 masterofp

Lock Knife wrote: »
    Nice one masterofp. Yeah was just in the shop and asked the guy there but since they are newish laptops he hadn't heard of anyone putting one in yet. Not much on the net either. Might be a bit of a gamble. Thanks for the reply

I did a bit of digging, and according to the review at notebookcheck, the HDD in the Toshiba is MQ01ABF050. The dimensions from Toshiba's website give these dimensions: 69.85 x 7.0 x 100 mm

Specs from Samsung's website measure the SSD at 100 x 69.85 x 6.8 (mm).

To Compare:
    Toshiba HDD : 69.85 x 7.0 x 100 mm
    Samsung SSD: 69.85 x 6.8 x 100 (mm) Dimension

I would think it would work, now that's assuming the model at Harvey Norman's has the same HDD as the review. You will not be able to find out until you start the system or open the HDD cover.

It's a chance, that's right. But you can always sale the SSD if it's too big.

Hope I helped.

masterofp wrote: »
    I did a bit of digging, and according to the review at notebookcheck, the HDD in the Toshiba is MQ01ABF050. The dimensions from Toshiba's website give these dimensions: 69.85 x 7.0 x 100 mm

Specs from Samsung's website measure the SSD at 100 x 69.85 x 6.8 (mm).

To Compare:
    Toshiba HDD : 69.85 x 7.0 x 100 mm
    Samsung SSD: 69.85 x 6.8 x 100 (mm) Dimension

I would think it would work, now that's assuming the model at Harvey Norman's has the same HDD as the review. You will not be able to find out until you start the system or open the HDD cover.

It's a chance, that's right. But you can always sale the SSD if it's too big.

Hope I helped.

Fair play to you masterofp. I really appreciate the effort you made in helping me out.

Looking at the back of it today I don't think the guy was thinking of handing me a screwdriver to take a look inside :) As the laptops are all powered on I'll pop back in tomorrow and see if I can find the HDD model number.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 81,638 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah depending on the rep you get in the store they won't mind cracking it open and taking a look. **** I did that for enough customers. More than likely gonna fit, and SSDs are the best thing to happen to laptops. Durability and speed, you have the right idea

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah depending on the rep you get in the store they won't mind cracking it open and taking a look. **** I did that for enough customers. More than likely gonna fit, and SSDs are the best thing to happen to laptops. Durability and speed, you have the right idea

Well went back in today, luckily didn't have to break open the toolbox and found the hard drive model in devices. Turns out it's the MQ01ABF050 that masterofp found. So that's encouraging. None in stock though in dublin. The lad working there wanted to sell me the display model for full price :pac:

Going to try another shop nearby tomorrow but if not they said they can get one sent up from down the country for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,638 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He's having a laugh on a full price display. Minimum is 10%, 25% during clearance IMO

As a follow up for those looking to do similar....

So I ended up getting a similar model to the one in the OP but minus the touchscreen function. 303 euro from Power City.

The 120gb samsung SSD cost me 88 from hardwareversand. Made a mistake here thinking the sata to usb lead would be included. Look for the laptop upgrade kit SSD package to get this. It ended up costing me 32 euro in maplin to buy the sandisk ssd conversion kit.

The cloning went flawlessly using the samsung migration software from their site. (no optical drive on laptop)
    Installation of the SSD went very smoothly too. It fit like a glove into where the HDD was and the two screw holes on the SSD lined up perfectly with the old HDD bracket i put on it.

Just fired up the laptop there and everything was as before. Was expecting an evening of problems and google :)

Thanks to all for advice

Advertisement