Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Palestine Solidarity Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

lividduck wrote: »
    WTF is a Palestinian Jew, other than an insulting term for an Israeli?

Jews who live in Palestine. The majority call themselves Israelis but some use the term Palestinian Jews. They didn't all arrive in 1945.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭hungrypig

why would it be insulting to call someone a palestinian jew ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

hungrypig wrote: »
    why would it be insulting to call someone a palestinian jew ?
    It would be if they were actually Israeli, which is clearly whom the Troll poster was referring to in an inflammatory and insulting manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

These people use fear and intimidation to enforce their ideals. The only democracy that these extremist left wing groups will accept is their own brand.

So negative comments on social networking websites are now "fear and intimidation"?
    What's next, accusing someone of "intimidation" for tweeting to a politician "you'll lose votes if you pursue this policy"?

Ludicrous, eh? But how is it any different than telling a band they'll lose fans by following a particular course of action? :confused:

It would be if they were actually Israeli, which is clearly whom the Troll poster was referring to in an inflammatory and insulting manner.

Less of the silly comments and someone might take you seriously.

• Advertisement

seriously lividduck, is palestine or any word associated with it a dirty word ? a palestinian jew is a jew who lives in palestine, where is the offense.

seriously lividduck, is palestine or any word associated with it a dirty word ? a palestinian jew is a jew who lives in palestine, where is the offense.
    WTF is Palestine, i've looked up atlases and the UN list of countries and I cant find any record of it. Is it near Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pedant wrote: »
    There seems to be a culture of antisemitism

Do you even know what a semite is? :rolleyes:

WTF is Palestine, i've looked up atlases and the UN list of countries and I cant find any record of it. Is it near Israel?

Ah feck off and troll someone else. Their are people going through hell everyday at the hands of the IDF but all you want to do is take the piss out of them. Catch yourself on.

Ah feck off and troll someone else. Their are people going through hell everyday at the hands of the IDF but all you want to do is take the piss out of them. Catch yourself on.
    Read your own posts, the only one that is taking the piss is you, btw still cant find palestine on any map!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Palestine
    As of 18 January 2012, 130 (67.4%) of the 193 member states of the United Nations have recognised the State of Palestine. Many of the countries that do not recognise the State of Palestine nevertheless recognise the PLO as the "representative of the Palestinian people".

Read your own posts, the only one that is taking the piss is you, btw still cant find palestine on any map!

Actually it will be officially re-recognised by the UN soon. I really have to question your reasons for this type of view of you are being serious?

my sincere apologies lividduck for any offense caused, i didn't realise you had an intellectual disability

my sincere apologies lividduck for any offense caused, i didn't realise you had an intellectual disability
    I don't. I just find the Palestine on a map, thus cannot understand how someone could be a Palestinian Jew because they live in palestine.:confused:

Any chance we could keep this thread on topic? No offense to anyone but there are a million threads in which we could debate the actual Israel / Palestine conflict itself, this one is about the IPSC group and in particular its media campaign against Dervish.

I'm just fascinated to hear a response to my earlier question - are people advocating censorship? Are people suggesting that dissent and protest shouldn't be allowed? How are "negative comments" and "threatening a loss of fanbase" in any way crimes? Politicians face the same gauntlet every day and they don't call for anyone to be censored or suggest that there's anything wrong with free speech?

Again, how is telling a politician that he or she will lose votes for pursuing a particular course of action any worse than telling a band they will lose fans for pursuing a particular course of action?

The people in this thread attacking the IPSC are implying an incredibly dangerous suggestion, that free speech and dissent should be somehow criminalized or regulated.

Where does that end? Would I get censored tomorrow for telling Gilmore he'll lose votes for being dishonest, or by saying that I won't vote for FG in the next election if they do X, Y, or Z?

I don't. I just find the Palestine on a map, thus cannot understand how someone could be a Palestinian Jew because they live in palestine.:confused:

I'll start you with a wikipedia article. It should be easy reading but we will help you with the big words.
    It begins:
    A Palestinian Jew is a Jewish inhabitant of Palestine...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_Jews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

there is a place called palistine......it is not a state at the moment, because the western world helped the israeli's to eliminate that state......

one day state will exist and nobody will care whether there ever was a state called israle......the the blame will lie with the israeli's.........

go and pray that allah, will be mercifull.............you will need it......because nobody else in the world will think you deserve it......

Actually it will be officially re-recognised by the UN soon. I really have to question your reasons for this type of view of you are being serious?
    You are the one who one who sneeringly denigrated the citizens of the state of Israel by referring to them as "Palestinian Jews", despite the fact that Israel does exist while the state of Palestine does not as yet, though I would welcome its formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

So the Jews were baby faces but have now had a heel turn?

The campaign was not about Jews – it was about Israel.

*sigh*
    Thread officially derailed...

• Advertisement

You are the one who one who sneeringly denigrated the citizens of the state of Israel by referring to them as "Palestinian Jews", despite the fact that Israel does exist while the state of Palestine does not as yet, though I would welcome its formation.

Israeli Citizens are not (for the most part) Palestinian so could not be called Palestinian Jews. I don't know how your confusion on the term could have led to you thinking I was trying to denigrate, slander or namecall anyone by calling them Palestinian. That sort of thinking would take an extreme level of hatred for Palestinians.

I support anything that irks Israel :)

I have to say I find Alan Shatter's response to this incident nothing short of outrageous.
    Can anyone cite exactly what was posted on the Twitter or Facebook? Was it "bullying and harassment" or was it simply negative comments?
    All I could find were remarks expressing 'disappointment' and so on. Is it now considered wrongdoing to state one's opinion?

Is our minister for Justice advocating censorship? Is he suggesting that we do not have the right to dissent or protest in this country?

Until someone can cite exactly what was said that qualifies as "bullying" I'm assuming this is simply an attack on freedom of speech, which goes far beyond either the Israel/Palestine issue OR the band. That's why I'm suggesting we keep this thread on topic and not go into the general middle east issue - this is about whether or not people in this country are going to be condemned by elected representatives for stating their opinions on a matter of public interest.

Can anyone clarify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I have to say I find Alan Shatter's response to this incident nothing short of outrageous.
    Can anyone cite exactly what was posted on the Twitter or Facebook? Was it "bullying and harassment" or was it simply negative comments?
    All I could find were remarks expressing 'disappointment' and so on. Is it now considered wrongdoing to state one's opinion?

Is our minister for Justice advocating censorship? Is he suggesting that we do not have the right to dissent or protest in this country?

Until someone can cite exactly what was said that qualifies as "bullying" I'm assuming this is simply an attack on freedom of speech, which goes far beyond either the Israel/Palestine issue OR the band. That's why I'm suggesting we keep this thread on topic and not go into the general middle east issue - this is about whether or not people in this country are going to be condemned by elected representatives for stating their opinions on a matter of public interest.

Can anyone clarify?

The Shatner is being a bit shakepearean - 'full of sound and fury, yet signifying nothing'. He isn't proposing any legislation, so he can have his wee spasm. Best to ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The Irish Palestine Solidarity people actually make me feel more sympathetic towards the Israelis.

galwayrush wrote: »
    The Irish Palestine Solidarity people actually make me feel more sympathetic for the Israelis.

A well thought out response to a serious problem. Good fer you.

Should anyone protest, you seem to take the opposite side, going on the posts of yours I've noticed.

As no such evidence has been produced, I'm going to have to call bullsh!t on this story.
    AMAZING how quick people were to believe it even oven the lack of evidence. Prejudice alive and well I see, when people will immediately believe a media story and jump down the throats of activists without seeing a shred of proof of 'intimidation' or 'bullying' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Why do some Irish people get so worked up about this issue? Genuine question.

Is it a religious thing?

Protest marches, boycotts etc.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Why do some Irish people get so worked up about this issue? Genuine question.

Is it a religious thing?

Protest marches, boycotts etc.

I won't answer as to others, however with me its because it's colonialism.

I don't think I get much worked up over it anymore than any colonial enterprise, save for the fact that were I to start a thread or whatever on the treatment of native papuans by the Indonesian authorities, the odds of somebody turning up to defend the authorities are slim to none. Somebody posting who is actually serious slimmer still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I wish this group would avoid reference to 'Irish' in their title. It suggests that this group in some way represents the views of the 'Irish'. It doesn't.
    Tell that to the Irish Times.

Advertisement