Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous tailgators on the M1 toll

• 25-04-2012 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else use the M1 tolll express lane and experience this?
    I would use it a good lot during the week and regularly see complete
    chancers tailgating right up behind me.

Just as you're approaching the tag reader, you usually spot some DH making a beeline in your rearview mirror and driving right up behind your boot.
    At a quick glance you can blatantly see no tag reader on their windscreen either.

This has happened me now at least 6/7 times, but yesterday a guy in a northern reg car got away with it and it just really made me lose the rag! :mad:

I phoned Drogheda Gardai with the reg plate, to which they advised me I'd need to come in and make a formal complaint and they would investigate.
    I would also need to attend court if they went ahead with a conviction!
    I've yet to phone the toll company but I'm wondering do they have working cameras monitoring this and if so what amount of penalising is done??

I'm well aware I could just slow down and go through the normal gates but the service is there and surely this type of wreckless and illegal behaviour is a regular feature on the toll, so what (if anything) are the toll companies doing to prevent it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

it's going on too, on the m7/m8 toll at portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I use express lanes on tolls from Cork to Dundalk regularly, and it's never happened to me.

if it looks like someone's about to try it, why not slow right down, stop just beyond the barrier, let it drop and then drive on? Leave them stuck there in a position where they have to reverse out.
    I know it defeats the purpose of an express lane a bit, but if a few of these guys are inconvenienced this way, they might stop doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Just ignore it. If they hit you they pay out. Its not like you're paying double.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Never once.noticed it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I use express lanes on tolls from Cork to Dundalk regularly, and it's never happened to me.

if it looks like someone's about to try it, why not slow right down, stop just beyond the barrier, let it drop and then drive on? Leave them stuck there in a position where they have to reverse out.
    I know it defeats the purpose of an express lane a bit, but if a few of these guys are inconvenienced this way, they might stop doing it.

You see it happens so fast... even if you try and use the release lane your tag would have already beeped and the arm would have lifted.
    I might just have to try this method out though and hope the clowns don't plough into the back of me!!!

• Advertisement

Just ignore it. If they hit you they pay out. Its not like you're paying double.

I dunno about you but I find it hard to ignore idiots like this, especially if I have my kids in the backseat!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

That sounds incredibly dangerous for all concerned.

That sounds incredibly dangerous for all concerned.

It does sound dangerous but not if you approach the lane at a snails pace to begin with?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

kormak wrote: »
    It does sound dangerous but not if you approach the lane at a snails pace to begin with?!

Its not just dangerous for you - if the other guy ends up having to reverse and change lanes its dangerous for the poor unassuming randomers behind him and in other lanes who may be travelling faster. You are not supposed to be doing a snails pace in the express lane - that also is dangerous for others.

This would be a very irresponsible action to take - worse than the guy tailgating. Also all of this would be on camera - if you were seen to force the other driver to do something which causes a pile up you would be held accountable.

Only responsible action is to report it afterwards. Hey if you really wanted you could mount a backwards facing dashcam and capture the guys commiting the offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

One of my mates worked on the M1 tolls and some of the stories he has on how people try to evade a couple of euro are crazy. They tailgate at the pay barriers too. Motorcyclists are the worst apparently which is ironic as they have most to lose. Must ask what the story is on prosecution rates. Some of these chancers wouldnt be one off users either!? D and yellow reg are most common culprits which indicates it's not a local issue but then it'd be mad to mess on your own doorstep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

had the same issue last year, happened 3 times in 2 weeks but at the automatic baskets, cars followed me through the barriers right up my bumper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Nesta99 wrote: »
    D and yellow reg are most common culprits which indicates it's not a local issue but then it'd be mad to mess on your own doorstep.

These are the 2 most popular reg's on the roads so it makes sense that they would be the majority doing this too.

These are the 2 most popular reg's on the roads so it makes sense that they would be the majority doing this too.

Fair enough, it may be proportionate, and i dont know if that was a consideration when it was said!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

happens at the pay basket barrier also and is probably easier to do. Ive been in a car where the driver has done it and does it regularly.

Its possible to even do it safely he claims as the barrier is on a sensor and once you are within 5 or so yards(which at take of speed isnt overly dangerous) the barrier will not come down because its on a sensor.

Also for commuters, €2 toll, twice a day = €4 5 days a week = €20.

€20 x 52 = €1040.

Give or take a few weeks holidays and you're talking €900 odd a year so you can see how people are tempted.

Im not saying its right, and i dont do it myself, just pointing out how easily its done and it can be done relatively safely.

rogieop wrote: »
    ...Also for commuters, €2 toll, twice a day = €4 5 days a week = €20.

€20 x 52 = €1040...

To those who do it:
    Want to save €1040 per annum?

Then take the phucking untolled road, you sponging bastards!!

"Dangerous tail-gaters on the M1 toll"

FY thread title.

Ever since the 'tailgators' title went up, I've had this funny little cartoon in my head of a 'gator (as in 'alligator') climbing up the bank of the River Nanny and chasing cars through the toll plaza!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I don't have a tag, and I tend to use the ramp tolls rather than the main toll but my friends husband is a complete scrounger and pulls up at the pay basket barrier. Instead of throwing money in he opens the door and picks up money that others have dropped and goes through that way. He says it's never failed him and there's usually a couple of euro on the ground.

I don't have a tag, and I tend to use the ramp tolls rather than the main toll but my friends husband is a complete scrounger and pulls up at the pay basket barrier. Instead of throwing money in he opens the door and picks up money that others have dropped and goes through that way. He says it's never failed him and there's usually a couple of euro on the ground.

That is for the scabbiest thing you have ever seen thread...

Nesta99 wrote: »
    That is for the scabbiest thing you have ever seen thread...

I think I actually posted about him on the AH megathread about a year ago:D. He's so mean and doesn't even care who knows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I seen a van full of members of our Travelling community drive up on the verge and avoid the barrier at Watergrasshill several years ago, Can't be done now though as they put another barrier in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Never seen it on the M1 toll, but i see it regularly on the M50 where cars will drive up the arse of a truck or other vehicle to avoid the cameras picking up their number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Imagine a car tried this on another car that was doing same. That would be hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Imagine a car tried this on another car that was doing same. That would be hilarious.

Happened before. The 3rd car did get through but the barrier bounced off its roof

Let me guess... he has a fake charity bucket in his boot to act as a contingency plan should he only recover €1.70!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Happened before. The 3rd car did get through but the barrier bounced off its roof

131705031834.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I'd take the M1 toll most days and have witnessed it regular enough. Also the race from the booth's 5 cars abreast with no one willing to give way and merge regardless of their position.

The worst I've come across was been left in between two cars with one that overtook me half on the right hand verge after tailgating me through the barrier. I took his reg and checked it on Cartell later and it turned out to be a false reg so be careful as you never know who your dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

I know someone who does this too. I wonder is it the same person

Kaner2004 wrote: »
    I know someone who does this too. I wonder is it the same person

Bloke I know is originally from Galway. Same one?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Friend was rear-ended by someone trying this on the M1 as her tag didn't read so she had to stop to pull out.

Cops were called.

Northern Reg, no tax, no licence or ID produced.

Cops let them drive away - through the toll. 1500 quid damage done to my friend's car. The guy stopped answering his phone after a few courtesy fob-offs. Gardaí said due to the northern reg it's a 'grey area' about 50 times.

The Gardaí won - my friend lost the will to chase it with them and gave up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Friend was rear-ended by someone trying this on the M1 as her tag didn't read so she had to stop to pull out.

Cops were called.

Northern Reg, no tax, no licence or ID produced.

Cops let them drive away - through the toll. 1500 quid damage done to my friend's car. The guy stopped answering his phone after a few courtesy fob-offs. Gardaí said due to the northern reg it's a 'grey area' about 50 times.

The Gardaí won - my friend lost the will to chase it with them and gave up.
    She should have been given his insurance details on the spot, she could then have instructed her own insurance company to claim on her behalf. Assuming of course that the northern driver had cover.
    The investigating Garda surely has to shoulder some blame for not establishing their identity.
    I feel sorry for your friend, when the law is on the criminals side.
    I certainly wouldn't just take the hit lying down.

Advertisement