Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuiyo-maru_carcass

May have already been posted, still working my way through each page. Seems to have been solved because of amino acid amounts, still tho, think I'd have s#itted a brick if I was on that boat.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

How Raindrops can fall without touching each other .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

paddyandy wrote: »
    How Raindrops can fall without touching each other .

Raindrops are actually much smaller higher up in the atmosphere, and they do hit each other on the way down, forming bigger and bigger raindrops until they reach the ground.

MIND BLOWN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Delancey wrote: »
    Philadelphia experiement never happened - just ask the wartime crew of the USS Eldridge.

Another fake story was the Picnic at Hanging Rock fable - though the film said it was based on fact the whole thing was a work of fiction.

We all love a mystery but so many of them never happened and for those that are ' real ' there are very plausible explanations for them - unfortunately :rolleyes:
    Spoilsport :(

Why after 80 + years of Independance the General Population still do not understand Nationhood nor care much either it seems .

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Raindrops are actually much smaller higher up in the atmosphere, and they do hit each other on the way down, forming bigger and bigger raindrops until they reach the ground.

MIND BLOWN!!!

Why do very tiny raindrops hit the ground in a heavy fine shower ????? From 100 rds of Feet .
    Raindrops never touch each other is a recently discovered phenomenon . i heard this from a very reliable source but i can't believe it myself either .I must further investigate this one but my source is extremely reliable . Did he get this one wrong ???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

on the topics of rain...

Raindrops are not tear shaped but are actually spherical

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

paddyandy wrote: »
    Why do very tiny raindrops hit the ground in a heavy fine shower ????? From 100 rds of Feet .
    Raindrops never touch each other is a recently discovered phenomenon . i heard this from a very reliable source but i can't believe it myself either .I must further investigate this one but my source is extremely reliable . Did he get this one wrong ???
    it's been done to death on this thread

but ...

how would you know if rain drops had merged ?

how big to hailstones get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

What actually happened onboard and what really was the cargo of the MV Arctic Sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

What actually happened onboard and what really was the cargo of the MV Arctic Sea?

Bizarre, I was literally just reading that! There's a good few suspicious details involved, not the least of which is the gag order placed on the crew from talking about what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The Gnome wrote: »
    Bizarre, I was literally just reading that! There's a good few suspicious details involved, not the least of which is the gag order placed on the crew from talking about what happened.

Seems pretty obvious that Russia were shipping something naughty (weapons) to some naughty country (Iran, Syria etc.) and it was hijacked by the Mossad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

How do they get the fig in the fig-roll?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

Mary Celeste

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Mary Celeste

Interesting one. Is there any theories out there as to what could have happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Something ive been wondering the last 6 months... did Farah Swaleh Noor (who was murdered by the scissor sisters) kill Raonaid Murray

Farah was killed by the sizzor sisters in 2005, but had told is gf "I'm going to ****ing kill you, just like I did with Raonaid Murray",

always wondered was it bull or did he do it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Raonaid_Murray

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farah_Swaleh_Noor#Farah_Swaleh_Noor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Spore

CruelCoin wrote: »
    How do they get the fig in the fig-roll?

Pathetic joke only mentioned about a fucking million times in this thread already. Har de har har.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

LordSutch wrote: »
    See my post #941 for background story.

All will be revealed in the 1st week of June when another dive is to take place! http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/29/truth-is-out-there-about-ufo-in-baltic-sea-swedish-scientists-say/ I guessing that it is an underwater Geiser or the beginings of a submarine volcano, but by this time next week we should all know what it is! (its bloody big, that's for sure).

An update on this, somewhat disappointing, but the mystery remains ! I can't wait for more info on this, thanks for posting that, had never heard of it.

quote from their own website http://www.oceanexplorer.se/
    <H2 class=entry-title>2012-07-24

The Ocean X Team returned with Ancylus to shore this Saturday.
    After the expedition there are still a lot of questions that needs answers.
    So the crew are planning more trips with the Ancylus in the future to try and solve the mystery.

On the last trip they managed to acquire samples from the unexplainable object.
    The samples has been sent to analysis and as soon as we get the results, we will provide more info here.

edit : just listened to one of the interviews, the thing is about 3/4 meters thick, and sitting on what they think is something like a pillar, that they estimate is about 8 meters tall. It has the appearance of very smooth concrete. Peter Lindberg reckons that if it is a construction (as opposed to a natural formation), it would have to have been placed there before the ice age, since large boulders are sitting on top of it. They have spotted one hole of about 25 cm in diameter, and think there may be more. Visibility is very poor down there, so when they move about they have difficulty knowing which part of the object they're on (it's 60m in diameter). Some of their equipment went faulty (satellite and other bits) as they were close to the object, and worked again as they left, but not all electrical equipment was affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Spore wrote: »
    Pathetic joke only mentioned about a fucking million times in this thread already. Har de har har.

I was joking?

No, really, how do they do it?

herp-de-****ing-derp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

2 pipes, one inside the other. Inner pipe feeds in fig, outer pipe is the "roll".

Happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Agree with the Dyvlatov Pass Incident, that has bugged me for ages. The Nazca Lines also!
    Saw a documentary about this before and found it creepy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flannan_Isles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

S4

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Agree with the Dyvlatov Pass Incident, that has bugged me for ages. The Nazca Lines also!
    Saw a documentary about this before and found it creepy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flannan_Isles

I think with the Dyatlov Pass Incident, they thought they heard an avalanche, and ran down to the tree line. They spent too long there, and could not make it back to their tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Just how much wood could a Wood Chuck chuck if a Wood Chuck could chuck wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    Just how much wood could a Wood Chuck chuck if a Wood Chuck could chuck wood?

The amount of wood that woodchucks would chuck on a given day varies greatly with the individual woodchuck. According to a Wall Street Journal article, New York State wildlife expert Richard Thomas found that a woodchuck could chuck around 35 cubic feet of dirt in the course of digging a burrow. Thomas reasoned that if a woodchuck could chuck wood, he would chuck an amount equal to 700 pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The CIA have been blamed or implicated in the following to name but a few - JFK assasination , Martin Luther King assasination , Roswell UFO ' cover up ' , 9/11 attacks , Princess Diana ' murder ' , Chappaquidick , the list is endless.............

What would conspiracy loonies do if it wasn't for the CIA , blame it on the butler ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Who stole Frynge's car? Ongoing saga. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056691719

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Something ive been wondering the last 6 months... did Farah Swaleh Noor (who was murdered by the scissor sisters) kill Raonaid Murray

Farah was killed by the sizzor sisters in 2005, but had told is gf "I'm going to ****ing kill you, just like I did with Raonaid Murray",

always wondered was it bull or did he do it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Raonaid_Murray

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farah_Swaleh_Noor#Farah_Swaleh_Noor
    `
    I knew Farah, Had a few beers in his flat one night back in Jan 03 in Cork, Three very strange men there so I didn't stay long, I was very surprised to read about him as he didn't seem too bad when I was talking to him but his friends..Well it wouldn't surprise me if they did or had killed someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wonder will they ever solve the murders of the women who all went missing in the 1990's.
    I know most people have their suspicions of who the killer is but will they ever get the proof they need?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

I mentioned this one on a different thread, not sure if it was mentioned on this one, the disappearance of the S.S Waratah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Waratah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I wonder will they ever solve the murders of the women who all went missing in the 1990's.
    I know most people have their suspicions of who the killer is but will they ever get the proof they need?

In at least 3 cases the individual suspects have been ID'd but not enough evidence to charge alas.
    Whether the other 4 women were victims of a single killer remains open to conjecture.

Advertisement