Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Muslim mates/family/colleagues - what do you say?

Options
  • 12-03-2013 11:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭

How do you explain away the daily bigotry that's often sadly online/in the papers/on telly and so on? Or do you bother?

For my own part, we talk and laugh about it but not all mates can do it.

What would you do, if a mate of yours happened upon an offensive convo here or in the day to day life and was hurt by it?

And no, I wouldn't bother directing any mate of Muslim background to boards...

Would you defend boards and say it's just banter or what?

Ah, sure - no harm done, it's just boards etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭fullgas

religion = bigotry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I have no Muslim friends or family that I know of so I just go about my day.
    Live and let live and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Why would I*? there's as much bigotry posted against christians, jews, atheists and other religious beliefs. I don't own the internet and all groups are as much entitled to use it if they so wish. Why do you think I should apologise for something I didn't write it. They don't apologise to me for anything on the internet.

I wouldn't patronise them so much as to think they can't create their own account and reply themselves.

I use I* in the sense of anyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Boombastic wrote: »
    Why would I*? there's as much bigotry posted against christians, jews, atheists and other religious beliefs. I don't own the internet and all groups are as much entitled to use it if they so wish. Why do you think I should apologise for something I didn't write it. They don't apologise to me for anything on the internet.

I use I* in the sense of anyone

I get what you're saying.

Let me put it this way, you're out with a mate who is muslim/jewish/etc and someone says something untoward. You've heard it dozens of times, do you say it's not on or do you let it pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I just tell them I feel sorry for anybody that's Bin Laden with prejudice .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I have no Muslim friends.

I've tried making friends with Muslims but all attempts thus-far have just blown up in my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

What would you do OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

derpa derpa jihad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

old hippy wrote: »

Let me put it this way, you're out with a mate who is muslim/jewish/etc and someone says something untoward. You've heard it dozens of times, do you say it's not on or do you let it pass?

I have Muslim family and I'd stand up for them if it happened in person but I wouldn't feel it was my place to explain away bigotry online or in papers etc. It has nothing to do with me or my opinions and what is there to explain away? There's prejudice in the world and there always has been, unfortunately but those people don't speak for all of us and I'd hope they were clued up enough to know this.

What would you do OP?

Well, as I said -

I worked in a shop in Dublin 20 years ago, owned by a succession of lads who happened to be Muslims. And a fella who was Bahia (sic). They all got stick. We had a swastika painted on our wall. It was depressing but for the most part, we shrugged our shoulders.

Is that the answer, though? Just ignore it? There must come a time when you say "enough is enough"...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I'd just agree it's sh1t for them. What else can you say?

I'd probably try and make a joke about it too if they've that sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

None of my friends and family are such weak human beings that they need coddling or simpering middle-class bleating from an Arts graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

snackbar, snackbar, snackbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

What would you do, if a mate of yours happened upon an offensive convo here or in the day to day life and was hurt by it?

What do you do about your Christian, Jewish, (Insert group here) friends? It's hardly as if Muslims are the only group of people who can get offended.

I have Muslim family and I'd stand up for them if it happened in person but I wouldn't feel it was my place to explain away bigotry online or in papers etc. It has nothing to do with me or my opinions and what is there to explain away? There's prejudice in the world and there always has been, unfortunately but those people don't speak for all of us and I'd hope they were clued up enough to know this.

I hear you, Legs, but isn't it a good thing to occasionaly face up to the ignorant out there and tell them what's what?

Is that the answer, though? Just ignore it? There must come a time when you say "enough is enough"...

I reckon if we go out beheading and blowing stuff up it'll stop all the nasty anti islamic stuff on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

How do you explain away the daily bigotry that's often sadly online/in the papers/on telly and so on? Or do you bother?

Are muslims perfect in their own life? do they ever offend anyone?
    People make jokes about everything, it's life, we cant all be molly coddled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Madam_X wrote: »
    I'd just agree it's sh1t for them. What else can you say?

I think you're supposed to become one with their pain and wear it like a badge.

What do you do about your Christian, Jewish, (Insert group here) friends? It's hardly as if Muslims are the only group of people who can get offended.

Well, my Jewish friends don't get blasted in the press, online or in the street on a regular basis but if they did, I'd be asking the same questions.

Another thread, perhaps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

A muslim friend of mine kicked the crap out of two scumbags in town about two years ago because they call him rag head.I doubt they said it to another muslim since.

• Advertisement

Well, my Jewish friends don't get blasted in the press, online or in the street on a regular basis but if they did, I'd be asking the same questions.

Another thread, perhaps?

They had the holocaust. You can't say anything bad about Jewish people anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I hear you, Legs, but isn't it a good thing to occasionaly face up to the ignorant out there and tell them what's what?

As I said, in person I'd do it and have done it and also online.

Just to add, my uncle (auntie's husband) is Muslim and he has his own prejudices. He lives in America but hates (and I mean hates) both the British and the Americans for the wars in the Middle East. It can work both ways. He posted some highly offensive stuff on my Facebook a few years ago and I stood up to him also.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Dont have any and have no intention of making friends with them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Another thread, perhaps?
    What about Christian friends? I'm presuming you might have one or two.

Just on Catholics, there's probably more attacks on them here on AH than attacks on Muslims on the site as a whole.

It's much easier to stop being offended than to persuade everyone else to stop being offensive.

None of my friends and family are such weak human beings that they need coddling or simpering middle-class bleating from an Arts graduate.

Good for them.

When you have friends who are spat at or beaten up, or who have excrement posted through their letterbox, you might want to get involved, mind. I'm sure they wouldn't see it as coddling.

I don't know any middle class (whatever that is) art graduates but I'll be sure to ask if ever I come across one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

If they were there I'd let them stand up for themselves as they have more knowledge to defend themselves against the claims than I would have to interject. I'd probably laugh with them over it afterwards.

I was in a cafe once and this guy asked my OH to play chess with him. He made a few wrong moves on the chess board and once he realised his mistake he undid the moves and took them again (about 5 times during the game). I discretely pointed out a move to my OH that would put the other guy in Check mate. When my OH made the move the other guy went mad rambling that women should not have an opinion and how my OH should not listen to me or value my input. He knocked all the pieces off the chessboard. We left, but laughed at his stupidity later. He was from a culture that doesn't respect women. I did not need my OH to stand up for me.

Now where was I going with that story, ah yes some people are stupid and it's better sometimes to walk away and slag them behind their backs instead of getting in to a confrontation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I worked in a shop in Dublin 20 years ago, owned by a succession of lads who happened to be Muslims. And a fella who was Bahia (sic). They all got stick. We had a swastika painted on our wall.

Those fcuking Buddhists :mad:

What about Christian friends? I'm presuming you might have one or two.

Just on Catholics, there's probably more attacks on them here on AH than attacks on Muslims on the site as a whole.

Well, my Christian friends don't get blasted in the press, online or in the street on a regular basis but if they did, I'd be asking the same questions.

Another thread, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Another thread, perhaps?

The only time I have been aware that I was even speaking to a Muslim was 3 separate occasions where I was being blasted on the street because my tattoos are forbidden in the Koran. Who is my explanation going to come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

As I said, in person I'd do it and have done it and also online.

Just to add, my uncle (auntie's husband) is Muslim and he has his own prejudices. He lives in America but hates (and I mean hates) both the British and the Americans for the wars in the Middle East. It can work both ways. He posted some highly offensive stuff on my Facebook a few years ago and I stood up to him also.

People like your uncle make me very curious. Why live in a country if you hate it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement