Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are people so fearful of burglaries at night?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

That wouldn't be chance, it would be planned.

I have never seen a circumstance where it happened, perhaps clutching at straws to make a weak argument stand up? And as I said, if that were to happen you District HQ would send a car, be even better already having a member with local knowledge in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

If you're living in a rural area, it's surprising what a closed set of gates can do.

Scumballs are by their very nature too lazy & feckless to work for a living anyway.

The thought of having to negotiate opening a set of locked gates will deter most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If you're living in a rural area, it's surprising what a closed set of gates can do.

The boyos could steal your gates and then try to sell them to your neighbours

Any scrap boss? Buy a few gates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The boyos could steal your gates and then try to sell them to your neighbours

Any scrap boss? Buy a few gates?

Nah, the Dirt are too lazy for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I have never seen a circumstance where it happened, perhaps clutching at straws to make a weak argument stand up? And as I said, if that were to happen you District HQ would send a car, be even better already having a member with local knowledge in the area.
    But district HQ doesn't have anyone available because they are all over the place in underused stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I don't take any weapons to bed i just send the wife down while i hide in the bathroom,thinking about the insurance money.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

antodeco wrote: »

That's was the funniest thing I've seen in ages.... Priceless...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Victor wrote: »
    But district HQ doesn't have anyone available because they are all over the place in underused stations.

You will find the manning levels at district HQ are more than adequate even with smaller stations still open, partly due to not being taken up with driving around trying to find places 12 miles away they never heard of before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Well I can tell you that I spent a number of months sleeping with a weapon beside my bed. This related to some problem neighbours who have now been moved on. But it was a horrid situation and it wasn't just the neighbours it was their friends that they brought into the estate.

At the time that this was happening one of the Gardai that came out to a number of incidents told me that she leaves her car keys just inside the door. If they get in they will take the keys and are less likely to harm you. She also told me about an incident where someone was broken into (the victim was alone in the house her husband was away, the burglars had watched them and established when she would be alone) they boiled the kettle and held it over her in her bed until she complied with their demands.

Where I live there are 63 houses. I am here a year next month and in that space of time there have been 7 burglaries at night. The locks that are on the door are popped out and the houses ransacked. That's not to mention the number of us who found our oil suddenly gone!

So yes, I can see why people are fearful enough at night. I am 31, reasonably fit and well able to handle myself but I make sure I have locked the doors and windows, dead bolted the front door, put the chain on and turned on my alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Lock all downstairs internal doors going to bed,
    Very bad fire safety IMO locking all the doors hence confining you to one escape if fire breaks out.
    A couple I know got burgled twice, once when they were in bed and left the front door unlocked and no alarm, they heard the intruder but didn't get out off bed and rang the guards. The second time they forgot to close the door when they went for a walk and came home house robbed and car gone. The alarm wasn't set either.
    BTW whats the story with insurance if you dont set the alarm and get burgled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I've have a small dog but, she'll barks her head off if anyone comes near the house. It's enough wake me up and get armed

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Been burgled twice ( around 12pm both times ) - Gardai took hours to arrive on the first occasion, and didn't come at all on second occasion. Limerick city also.

Have beefed up door and window security, and have a weapon at hand.
    Next time - someone is not leaving my premises ... gardai don't care - so I can just bury the problem in the garden.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A couple I know got burgled twice, once when they were in bed and left the front door unlocked and no alarm, they heard the intruder but didn't get out off bed and rang the guards. The second time they forgot to close the door when they went for a walk and came home house robbed and car gone. The alarm wasn't set either.
    BTW whats the story with insurance if you dont set the alarm and get burgled.
    IIRC it means no payout, or they'll take their time. TBH while I have some sympathy, it's low enough in a repeat case like that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Even with the top 2 combined it shows more happen when we are away from the house.

An overview of when burglaries tend to occur based on the results of an AA online poll conducted
    during January 2012. (6,000 burglary victims polled) At night when we were asleep 25.9% At night when the house was empty 11.7% During the day when the house was unoccupied 43.0% While I was out gardening 1.0% When I was on holiday 6.7% When I was at a family funeral 0.5% When I was at a family wedding 0.5% Over the Christmas holidays 1.7% Other 9.1%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Now there's one house I wouldn't want to burgal! :p
    Stray cats might trip the wire but at least they won't want to come back to your garden again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Nah, the Dirt are too lazy for that.

Drug dealing is their main income now, stealing is just a habit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

No point in confronting them as in the best case scenario of you hurting them / killing them you go to jail whereas if they kill you they plea that they came from a troubled background and get out early

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

No point in confronting them as in the best case scenario of you hurting them / killing them you go to jail whereas if they kill you they plea that they came from a troubled background and get out early

Hopefully the new law will help the victims fight back. Shoot first ask questions later.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Insurance Works

People need to realise that most burglaries do happen during the day, the reasons for this is people are busy, and a lot more relaxed.
    For example can you imagine what percentage of houses would be empty at 9.00am on a weekday morning, with one parent gone to work and the other one possibly gone to do a school run.
    I really feel as a nation we should be a little more vigilant and security conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

People need to realise that most burglaries do happen during the day, the reasons for this is people are busy, and a lot more relaxed.
    For example can you imagine what percentage of houses would be empty at 9.00am on a weekday morning, with one parent gone to work and the other one possibly gone to do a school run.
    I really feel as a nation we should be a little more vigilant and security conscious.

Do you know what's worse than stealing from houses? Stealing from the thread graveyard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Insurance Works

@frozenfrozen What does that mean ?

Advertisement