Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK ISPs told to block 21 pirate sites. Do you download illegally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So far this week I've downloaded virtually every new BAFTA nominated movie,a dose of screeners have been leaked online & I just won't get the chance to go to the cinema to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

idk, I've never used itunes.

And I know alot of people still using 4gig MP3's, so they'd want smaller size.
    And unless you turn up fairly loud, not everyone can tell the difference between HQ or LQ easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Just torrent TV shows that aren't and probably won't be shown on free TV here anytime soon.Have Spotify and all the different variations of Netflix through VPN so don't really need much else.Use the Kindle store and then a DRM remover to put ebooks on my Nook as well.

Just torrent TV shows that aren't and probably won't be shown on free TV here anytime soon.Have Spotify and all the different variations of Netflix through VPN so don't really need much else.Use the Kindle store and then a DRM remover to put ebooks on my Nook as well.

Buy from Kobo, instead of amazon, they're DRM free, and often a little cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I pay a friggin fortune for Sky and therefore I have all the TV series legally at some stage anyway. If I chose to download some to watch them in my own time as opposed to when Sky is airing them so what.

Good movies I watch in a theatre. Average stuff I download, but not much. I try to avoid watching crap and most of it is just that. Music I buy in iTunes, occasionally I try some music through torrent first.

I pay a small fortune for media services to Sky, Eircom, Apple which all feeds into the value chain. I don't feel one bit bad about the odd download.

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »
    I pay a friggin fortune for Sky and therefore I have all the TV series legally at some stage anyway. If I chose to download some to watch them in my own time as opposed to when Sky is airing them so what..

This alot of people would stop downloading if series etc were on at the same time around the world. Or day/week. Not this crappy half a season behind, if not the whole season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

zerks wrote: »
    So far this week I've downloaded virtually every new BAFTA nominated movie,a dose of screeners have been leaked online & I just won't get the chance to go to the cinema to see them.

Happens every year around this time. It's more the Golden Globes that produces the screener copies for circulation. The nominees were announced on December 12th and the awards will be live on January 12th (this Sunday). That gives GG voters one month to check out all the nominated movies and puts out a few hundred "For your consideration" DVD copies for potential leaking and ripping from December 12th onwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I see that, as of today, Eircom have blocked Kick Ass Torrents.

More incentive then ever to change broadband provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

IvaBigWun wrote: »

waste of time..its all ISP's that will block kick ass. Vodafone has too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

briany wrote: »
    Torrents are the best marriage of ease of use, abundance of content and structural soundness, IMO.
    I don't see it that way. There are plenty of sites that provide a service (illegally) that's much better than any legal service I've seen. They put up shows an hour or two after they've aired with a picture so you can quickly see what shows are up, you click on the show you want and can start watching it in streamed HD divx straight away. You know what you're getting and it's an extremely convenient service. I stopped using torrents years ago when I downloaded a video that turned out to be a guy nailing his balls to a table.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I stopped using torrents years ago when I downloaded a video that turned out to be a guy nailing his balls to a table.
    Lol...should always read the comments:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Let's play a game - some post a URL to a blocked site and I'll count how many minutes it takes for me to get it.

Anyone wanna play?

(I get the intention of the law, but once again, this is like passing a law that says squares should have three sides and only three sides. The internet doesn't work that way)

EDIT: Sorry - I thought these were being blocked here as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I am a huge gamer, but I haven't pirated a single game in 10 years. Prices of pc games became really good and if you wait few weeks, them most likely you can get games for less then 50%..

Yeah, the likes of Steam get it so right when it comes to this, should be seen as a shining example to the movie/music industry. I have no interest in pirating games because its just such a great service. I think Gabe Newell hit it on the nail when he said that people only pirate when its more convenient than the genuine article. Get DVD - subject to ironic anti piracy warnings and forced to watch an inane selection of trailers. Illegal...get movie, press play...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

What's the point in blocking these sites? Sure aren't there proxies! The third search result for KAT's is a proxy website to unblock it. Sure it was the same with pirate bay. All it does is give it more publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

They try to block the proxies too, but due to constant rotation you can usually get access.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Neeson wrote: »
    What's the point in blocking these sites? Sure aren't there proxies! The third search result for KAT's is a proxy website to unblock it. Sure it was the same with pirate bay. All it does is give it more publicity.

Agreed. Ive just found a proxy for both blocked sites ;)

If they had any sense they'd use the legal fees/time to come up with an attractive alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 georgia010

Is there an alternative way to access KAT now? I'm so disappointed at this blockade by eircom, especially after their declarations about not interfering with private searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

georgia010 wrote: »
    Is there an alternative way to access KAT now? I'm so disappointed at this blockade by eircom, especially after their declarations about not interfering with private searches.

There's an alternative way to access anything any ISP blocks, and that's Tor.
    Edward Snowden's leaks confirm that the NSA can't even crack it - it was developed by the US military to evade censorship in hostile territory so it stands to reason that if another branch of the US military is unable to get around it, it's fairly solid. For the moment.

Easy to set up, surprisingly fast, little inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Just google the name and one of the first few links will work.

• Advertisement

Its all ISP's!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

There's an alternative way to access anything any ISP blocks, and that's Tor.
    Edward Snowden's leaks confirm that the NSA can't even crack it - it was developed by the US military to evade censorship in hostile territory so it stands to reason that if another branch of the US military is unable to get around it, it's fairly solid. For the moment.

Easy to set up, surprisingly fast, little inconvenience.

This is awful advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

Best of luck to them.

Torrent sights aren't the only way to get things. And around and around we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Kickass is blocked but there is kickmirror and proxykat exact same site just different name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

DeadParrot wrote: »
    This is awful advice.

Citation Needed....

TOR is really easy to use and it does a great job of getting around filters. It's not unique by any stretch, but it's popular and free.

The truth is the nature of the internet is that it is massively distributed. It doesn't matter if my ISP will let me go to SITE A - I just need to connect to ANYONE ELSE who can connect to SITE A, and then I can connect to it.

And, so long as nobody 'solves math' encryption will continue to be an option. That means, even if my ISP is going to look at every single byte of data I send, I can encrypt it right in front of them and communicate securely with someone else I've never previously communicated with. So they can't filter out HTML pages that contain a keyword, for example.

The *only* way they could even start to lock things down would be to revert back to old school bulletin boards where an ISP hosted all of the content that you are allowed to access and direct communication between peers on the network are routed through the server and only whitelisted traffic is allowed (IE - if anything isn't plain text or images the server drops connection). But nobody wants that.

Sorry, I'm getting off topic but yeah - Tor is easy enough and works great from what I've seen from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

DeadParrot wrote: »
    This is awful advice.

Care to say why? Is your issue with Tor related to speed, usability, or security/anonymity?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Brutally slow is why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Is that the 2nd site that eircom has blocked now?

Is it unlimited with eircom, as i could never login to eircom to find out,

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Kickass is blocked but there is kickmirror and proxykat exact same site just different name.

Was never on TPB, was on isohunt, that closed down, now KickAss? but will look out for them tips now.

Didnt TPB come out with their own proxybrowser add-on?

To be honest, i try before you buy, as i dont live near a cinema, so will try to watch them anywhere, like Silver Linings Playbook & Hunger Games etc, you could say i fought the law, the J-Law :P

Also RSS Feeds made it easier for me, when IH went away & found this tip, handy as i dont have to go looking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

With the advent of the mirror sites for Kick Ass Torrents and The Pirate Bay, blocking becomes pointless. They've blocked the originals, but so fuggin' what? A quick search with the sites' names, plus "mirrors", brings up dozens of live copies of the complete sites.

You don't even need to hide your IP, work through a proxy or change your settings. Every and all torrent sites are available with just the site name and "mirror" in your search criteria.

• Advertisement

UCDVet wrote: »
    Citation Needed....

TOR is really easy to use and it does a great job of getting around filters. It's not unique by any stretch, but it's popular and free.
    You have to be careful though and do not under any circumstances allow scripts to run; the US Government and the like have installed covert javascript exploits on some pages that can easily grab info from your computer and remove itself without you even knowing. As long as you have scripts off, it's relatively okay to use. I wouldn't count on it being safe forever though.

Advertisement