Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it still embarrassing to be unemployed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

good post HellFireClub, so much that could be done - so little being done :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That journalist in the other thread should maybe do an article on your points HellFireClub

Would be an interesting article

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056251453

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

That journalist in the other thread should maybe do an article on your points HellFireClub

Would be an interesting article

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056251453

That journalist is on this thread too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hah, I'm realy going to have start to reading threads from Page 1 and not jump in at the end :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

There's no need to label all of the unemployed as this type of scum, not all of them have this mentality, there are actually some decent people on the dole you know :rolleyes:

why not give them tasks that would be given to them and collect their dole?. Not every person on the dole is looking to "abuse the system" like you say, there are some decent people on the dole who would happily sweep the streets/pick up shit etc. And keep the streets clean for me and my work colleagues, at least if they are humiliated it makes us all feel they are earning their keep not just receiving free money, unless they are dishonest scroungers, they will agree to work for their dole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

johnn wrote: »
    There's no need to label all of the unemployed as this type of scum, not all of them have this mentality, there are actually some decent people on the dole you know :rolleyes:

why not give them tasks that would be given to them and collect their dole?. Not every person on the dole is looking to "abuse the system" like you say, there are some decent people on the dole who would happily sweep the streets/pick up shit etc. And keep the streets clean for me and my work colleagues, at least if they are humiliated it makes us all feel they are earning their keep not just receiving free money, unless they are dishonest scroungers, they will agree to work for their dole.

Aren't you the big man John, the anonymous mouth on the internet, speaking from a position of absolute ignorance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Aren't you the big man John, the anonymous mouth on the internet, speaking from a position of absolute ignorance...

:confused: i thought my post was fairly constructive compared to most of the tripe spouted around these boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

What goes around comes around...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Given your (highly obnoxious and stultifyingly pig-ignorant) comments about social welfare claimants (or 'scroungers', as you prefer to label them) on a whole multitude of threads elsewhere on Boards, it's pretty clear that you do not regard them as 'decent people', so quit the disingenuous nonsense, please.
    johnn wrote:

This is what troubles me about the kind of sad, pathetic right-wing cranks who wish to see people forced to work for their unemployment benefit... The jobs suggested always (without fail) boil down to the cleaning of excrement - a substance which, if removed from your post, would leave behind a nice blank space.

I sincerely hope that you lose your (alleged) job in the near future. You might learn a bit of humility, thus becoming a less deeply unpleasant person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

:confused: i thought my post was fairly constructive compared to most of the tripe spouted around these boards

You know what happened to thought, don't you?:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

johnn wrote:
    there are some decent people on the dole who would happily sweep the streets/pick up **** etc. And keep the streets clean for me and my work colleagues, at least if they are humiliated it makes us all feel they are earning their keep not just receiving free money

I'd love to see what would happen if you were forced to wear your words on a placard outside a busy dole office (ala Bruce Willis in Die Hard With A Vengeance).

%25E6%259C%25AA%25E5%2591%25BD%25E5%2590%258D.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

And keep the streets clean for me and my work colleagues, at least if they are humiliated it makes us all feel they are earning their keep not just receiving free money, unless they are dishonest scroungers, they will agree to work for their dole.

johnn , if you call that consructive I'd hate to see what you might call negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

People, as you may guess this thread has attracted a few reports. Report make moderators like me grumpy(*), because we have to work out what to do to restore order.

This is a stern reminder that you are expected to be civil: no name calling, no gross generalisations, wishing ill on other people etc. I'm not deleting posts, locking the thread or issuing bans for now, but will if the standard of posts doesn't improve.

You don't have to agree with each other, but you do need to be polite about it, even if you have widely divergent views.

And if you don't have recent experience in the area (ie having been unemployed) it may be politic for you to sit back and see what people who do have relevant experience have to say - after all, that was what the OP asked about.

(*) Please don't stop reporting posts that you think need it: I'd rather hear about things than not, and I don't have the bandwidth to read every single thread.

/moderation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Queue 1: Those who want to work and will take PAYE employment. I imagine this queue would be the longest by far. These people should be brought together into a group, their skillset and academic qualifications assessed within a week by them registering this information on a website, their work experience assessed and there should be an outsourced private sector HR/Recruitment Team that can work with these people IMMEDIATELY, (not in 12 weeks time as is the current set up with work to rules, etc), who want to work. The other thing that should be made mandatory is that all jobs/vacancies in the state should have to be registered with this new team, and if a suitable match is found, the employer should be incentivised to take the person in the queue on, with a small grant or something along those lines.

Queue 2: Those who have worked for themselves before or who are in a position to start up businesses, who have a business plan and can get a business up and running with a 3K guaranteed LOAN maximum... This was the category that I fell into.

Queue 3: For those that have no wish to do (1) or (2) above, I reckon there are only a handful of these people, and I think they should be set aside for the moment because if we dealt with the vast majority who present in a dole queue who fall into category (1) or (2) above, I don't actually think we'd have an employment problem at all in this country, or at least we would have a much much smaller problem than we currently have.

i dont see the underlined bit in queue 1 being feasable. it would be unfair on newly unemployed people, or even people in employment who want to change job.

if two people go for the same job they should be judged on their skills and experience. one should not have a govt approved advantage over the other as they've been unemployed

your second point is interesting. i know in the irish times innovation supplement they mentioned a university in dublin that had a, not course, but more a mentoring programme. it was called the incubation room or something like that. it was to help people who have ideas for business to further develop them. this could be expanded i think and certainly publicised more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Ive read this thread and i cant help but notice that you seem to blame everyone other than yourself for being unemployed for so long....you go on about the unpleasant nature of having to stand with other welfare recipients who might be of a different background to you....the conspiracy theories to why potential employers didn't hire you....you insult the welfare workers in the offices who are paid crap money and blamed for trying to enforce rules and regulations brought in by your govt...rules they probably don't agree with either yet have to listen to mouthpieces like you giving them lip cause everything had to be your way or no ones....if you have a problem with the systems in the country get up and protest against the govt...the ones who enforced the rules.. don't just sit there being a keyboard warrior blaming other members of the public who had nothing to do with you losing a job...

Goin on your attitude i think its fairly clear why you aren't highly sought after..

It's sad I think because with a bit of courage from those who are in management/in charge, and a bit of smart thinking, the national situation with unemployment could be very easily addressed. It's like as if they want people to stay on the dole or something or don't want people to start up small businesses. It truly is extraordinary and frightening I think, to observe how a state seems to be almost conspiring to keep it's citizens poor and dependant, rather than pushing them on to get into PAYE work or else start up small businesses.

My attitude to PS workers and this state has changed completely over the last 2 years and 12 months in particular. Once I have enough from the business to do so, I'm planning to expand into another country and base myself there, because what is going on here, there is no possibility whatsoever of success, you are wasting your time living in this country, it is a backwater gombeen kip that literally hasn't a f*cking hope I reckon, because those at the top are of a PS minded mentality where no risk is taken, everything is, "for the file", beaurocracy piled high upon beaurocracy, while all the time, nothing actually changes or gets done, while all the time, we are generating and shunting trailer loads of paperwork around to create the appearance of progress and to keep civil servants in jobs, maintaining their precious f*cking "system".

I'm lucky that my business model is internet based so I can sell here but be based somewhere else, once I get it past a certain stage in terms of sales. By next spring, I hope to be living in Cyprus, I'll come back here once every few months to laugh at the absolute f*cking state of the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This is an old thread, which has a mod-warning to be civil.

Locking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement