Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will a sim free UK Mobile Phone work in Ireland

• 15-11-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Just want to double check. After googling around the answer seems to be yes.

I want to get a Nokia 6303i from amazon which is sim free and use my tesco mobile sim card in it. Are there any hidden pitfall to watch out for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Nope.. as long as it's sim-unlocked, it's be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

so sim free is the same meaning as sim-unlocked then?

Im hoping to get a sim free one off amazon too cos i'm in n.ireland but moving to dublin in september so hoping my british and irish sim card will both work in it

Yep, sim-free means the same as sim-unlocked.

Both a British and Irish sim-card will work fine in one.

Trying to google this but not getting a clear answer..

If I buy my phone from carphonewarehouse or o2 shop in Northern Ireland, will it work in Ireland?

I tried explaining it to them, even offered to give them my Irish sim card to test it but they wouldn't. They said it should but has anyone actually done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dannyboymed

Yep, if it's sim free that should mean it's totally sim free, there isn't any variation between UK and Ireland in terms of the insides of phones.

• Advertisement

what about if its a o2 phone in Northern Ireland but I will be putting my irish o2 sim card in it.

Same network but different countries.

Cookie33 wrote: »
    what about if its a o2 phone in Northern Ireland but I will be putting my irish o2 sim card in it.

Nope.. that won't work. It'll be locked to O2 UK.

You'll pay a fair bit more for a sim-free phone (and make sure you clarify it's sim-free before you buy off CPW) as it's not subsidised / tied to a network.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭schnorkleborg

my phone is locked to the O2 UK network in Northern Ireland and Ive been able to use a meteor sim and currently a vodafone sim. Sorry dont know about Irish O2 sim but I'd assume its the same. Only prob is internet wont work on it and it wont work when i go to UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Cookie33 wrote: »

Nope, not the same network.

O2 Ireland is a different network from O2 UK, just as Vodafone Ireland is a different network from Vodafone UK/CZ/DE/NL etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

basquille wrote: »
    Yep, sim-free means the same as sim-unlocked.

Both a British and Irish sim-card will work fine in one.

Be very careful as you can come across sellers, particularly on the likes of ebay, who distinguish between sim free (sold without a sim included but not necessarily unlocked) and sim free and unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

If I buy an phone in the 02 UK shop, bring it home and then put an irish sim in it, will it work without unlocking or do i have to unlock it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Not widely advertised but all phones bought in cpw uk are sim free.

I didn't say the cpw, I said 02 UK, i know about cpw

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I think o2-UK generally sell their contract phones unlocked, even in their own retail stores. iPhone is the exception to that rule, but it can be unlocked for free via a o2 web site and iTunes.

The phone I want to get is Samsung Galaxy S II. It is £399 in O2 UK. What I want to know is if I get it in 02 UK, bring it over to Ireland (where I live) take out the UK sim card and put in my irish one without unlocking it, or will I have to unlock it?

leemaree wrote: »
    I didn't say the cpw, I said 02 UK, i know about cpw

My post had nothing to do with you, it was aimed at the person who opened the thread.:rolleyes:

OK

OK

Regarding the phone you are looking at, is it a pay as you go?

yes it is Pay as you go

• Advertisement

yes it is Pay as you go

You will need to unlock it.
    Wife got one last month and it was locked.

thanks

Do I get it unlocked over in the UK or over here in Ireland or does it matter? Or is there a website that u can unlock for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If the phone's actually SIM-Free and unlocked, it will work on ANY GSM/UMTS network and all European GSM/UMTS networks are identical so any unlocked GSM/UMTS phone will work on any GSM/UMTS network in Europe. Frequencies, bands etc are all absolutely identical. It's a European standard.

While the networks may have the same parent company e.g. Vodafone UK, Vodafone Ireland, Vodafone Spain are all owned by the same company i.e. Vodafone Plc, O2 Ireland, O2 UK and O2 Germany are all owned by Telefonica/Movistar.

However, they're all still totally separate networks, so if it's locked to O2 Ireland, it will only work on O2 Ireland. The fact that other networks are called O2 / owned by the same company is irrelevant unfortunately.

Maybe, eventually they'll merge operations, but until then they'll just stick with little independent networks so we're ripped off while roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RosemaryMcC

I live in Eire on the border. I want to buy an UNLOCKED nokia 800 for my son for Xmas in Carphone Warehouse in Northern Ireland. I have been told that I can then put his Eire 02 sim in it. Any pitfalls - particularly in relation to internet settings? (O2 Ireland are out of stock for this phone and phones are cheaper in NI anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Please do not raise old threads, but start a new one yourself instead. Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement