Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Warriors 09 - Practical virgin runner seeks advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

stmochtas wrote: »
    Also is there any chance that an Easter meet could be organized as I am going to be going for a run on Knocknarea anyway.
    Thats a great idea a few of us should get together and run it!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Thats a great idea a few of us should get together and run it!

Looks like there may be a group on Easter Sunday which will suit me perfectly.

Looks like there may be a group on Easter Sunday which will suit me perfectly.
    Well I'm just pure stupid, don't know how I didn't read part!
    I'll be along to that then, can we confirm it? Easter Sat at 10:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Am thinking of signing up for this as my stretch goal for the year (also it has the coolest name of any race that I know). Mum is from Sligo and remember this run from when I was a kid. Wasn't it part of the Quenn Maeve festival at one stage? My cousin was Queen Maeve one year.
    Am able for 5km so need to up the mileage, the intensity and the motivation....
    What are the chances of being able to sign up in June or July?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Am thinking of signing up for this as my stretch goal for the year (also it has the coolest name of any race that I know). Mum is from Sligo and remember this run from when I was a kid. Wasn't it part of the Quenn Maeve festival at one stage? My cousin was Queen Maeve one year.
    Am able for 5km so need to up the mileage, the intensity and the motivation....
    What are the chances of being able to sign up in June or July?

May have been part of Queen Maeve festival, also was part of the Sligo summer festival. Theres a podcast on the site about it I think.

The All Ireland Triathlon used to be held in Rosses Point the same weekend as part of the festival.

I believe they have nearly 100 registered already. They have a cap of 700 so you'll need to keep an eye on it.
    Well I'm just pure stupid, don't know how I didn't read part!
    I'll be along to that then, can we confirm it? Easter Sat at 10:30?

Ok Easter sat at 10.30. Let us know if it doesnt suit anyone.

• Advertisement

T runner wrote: »

Count me in :D

Number 73 is now registered.

Is this still the plan guys and where do you meet? The car park I assume?

Hopefully the weather picks up a bit.

Is this still the plan guys and where do you meet? The car park I assume?

Hopefully the weather picks up a bit.

Yeah still the plan, I presume we meet in the car park. Thats where we met last time.

Number 82 now registered!!!!

:cool:

• Advertisement

Number 82 now registered!!!!

:cool:

Yep Car Park at 10.30. Bring a rain jacket just in case. There will be an informal cup of tea and chat about the race/training in Strand Bar afterwards for anyone interested.

Everyone welcome.

See ye saturday

Yep Car Park at 10.30. Bring a rain jacket just in case. There will be an informal cup of tea and chat about the race/training in Strand Bar afterwards for anyone interested.

Everyone welcome.

See ye saturday

Looking forward to it :D
    Thanks T runner

Everyone welcome.

See ye saturday

I'm heading from Longford to Donegal on Saturday so might drop by but I'd say any sort of running up the mountain is probably out of the question for someone like me with only moderate fitness!

I'm heading from Longford to Donegal on Saturday so might drop by but I'd say any sort of running up the mountain is probably out of the question for someone like me with only moderate fitness!

Well if you come, that means I won't be paddy last on my own!! :D lol
    I would count my fitness level as below average!!

There are 2 steep bits which wed walk and a couple of flat bits which well run. We regroup after each mini section. Moderate fitness will be more than adequate.

Anyone else dont be worried about your fitness. Come out and give it a go!

There are 2 steep bits which wed walk and a couple of flat bits which well run. We regroup after each mini section. Moderate fitness will be more than adequate.

Anyone else dont be worried about your fitness. Come out and give it a go!

That sounds good-
    Have to persuade my missus that:
    1. Its a good idea for me and she doesn't mind getting up early and waiting an hour for me
    2. I can find somewhere for a shower as I have a few bits and pieces to do in Sligo before heading for Donegal

I'd say its only 50:50 chance at the moment

I can sort the shower for you in Strandhill. Just persuading the missus. Maybe she could go down to Strandhill for coffee? Will give you a lift there (and to shower) after.

Nice to meet you all this morning. Below is a link to the GPS data from the mornings work.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/email/accept.mb?senderPk.pkValue=258575&unitSystemPkValue=2&episodePk.pkValue=7974447

Was great to see everyone today. Had loads of fun, it wasn't too much torture today! :D
    Thanks T runner for all the help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Cheers for the help T Runner!

• Advertisement

Anyone wearing New Balance for Trail and mountain running? I am looking a wide-fitting shoe and New Balance cater for that. I think T_Runner was going to provide some footwear advice to us Warrior run first timers. My current road shoes dont have the grip needed, especially if it rains.

Anyone wearing New Balance for Trail and mountain running? I am looking a wide-fitting shoe and New Balance cater for that. I think T_Runner was going to provide some footwear advice to us Warrior run first timers. My current road shoes dont have the grip needed, especially if it rains.

Hi stmochtas. If its bone dry I will wear lighweight runners Probably Asics DS trainers.

If its wet Ill wear NIKE AIR ZOOMS

OR

Saloman speedcross 2

The first are great value and the grip is sufficient with enough cushioning for the road. They are neutral.

Second is also a great light shoe, with great grip can be got in outdoor shops here in black I think. (e.g great outdoors). Will decide on day.

Can be used for the wednesday IMRA races also.

If youre thinking of the first try and get someone to buy shoes (that needs them) from the site to save postage. The first pair have size normally.

Another option is the sauconey jazz 6000. A road shoe with great offroad grip.

I own a pair of each of those will decide on day.

If youre thinking of doing some of the IMRA races go with one of the trail shoe options.

I also saw a very prominent adventure/ultra racer wearing some sort of Asics trails (attack maybe) so look into them aswell.

You basically need runners that are light enough/ cushioned enough and grippy enough for the descent should the day dictate. Otherwise your looking at light broad runners with some sort of adequate grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

T runner,
    Would you have any copies of the routes for the IMRA Leinster races ?
    I'm going to try to make it to a lot of them but would find the routes handy for using for hill work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Go to the IMRA website and lookup all the events (on the top menu) choose the one you're interested in and have a look. A large number of them have some kind of route map.

Question: How long is the road loop from the cannon around the mountain and back to the cannon? I know I can use Mapmyrun but just wondering for some training runs?

Well folks I hope training is going well. Mine has been stop / start but hoping to get a good run-in to the main event. I hope to be in Sligo on July 11th/12th so wondering if anyone is interested in maybe doing a nice easy run of the warriors course. Start in Strandhill and just jog the route.

I think I remember T_Runner's directions.

I want to familiarise myself with the route. Pace would be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

Hi all, I haven't posted in a while, and hadn't thought about the Warrior Run, but today I've been re-reading all the posts, looking at the web-site and I'm really tempted to enter! I completed Paris marathon in April, although I haven't put my foot in my trainers since then, and have gained probably 7 lbs too. So OK, be honest, can I start right now TODAY to train and still have enough time to build up my stamina etc. to finish it? I think I'm looking for someone up kick my in my ever growing butt to get back out and re-focus coz this is something I want to do, but I don't know if I could physically do it!! Any suggestions or advice really welcome and appreciated, thanks so much, Geraldine

GeraldineN wrote: »
    Hi all, I haven't posted in a while, and hadn't thought about the Warrior Run, but today I've been re-reading all the posts, looking at the web-site and I'm really tempted to enter! I completed Paris marathon in April, although I haven't put my foot in my trainers since then, and have gained probably 7 lbs too. So OK, be honest, can I start right now TODAY to train and still have enough time to build up my stamina etc. to finish it? I think I'm looking for someone up kick my in my ever growing butt to get back out and re-focus coz this is something I want to do, but I don't know if I could physically do it!! Any suggestions or advice really welcome and appreciated, thanks so much, Geraldine

Hi GeraldineN, youll have absolutely no problem. The hardest run is often the first one, so put the trainers back on today and let us know how you got on.
    T Runner

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

Thanks for the pep talk T Runner - I'm no. 325!!! Bring it on!! Geraldine

• Advertisement

GeraldineN wrote: »
    Thanks for the pep talk T Runner - I'm no. 325!!! Bring it on!! Geraldine

Thats the spirit Geraldine. I have a group of eight friends all training for the race now. The switch to Saturday makes the race more accessible I think as folks from outside Sligo can make a weekend of it.

I have started a few IMRA Wednesday races, good training indeed. I have not quite mastered descending yet but believe I am improving.

Advertisement