Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people still eat dairy?

• 29-11-2014 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31 FluffTheDog

I've just wondering why people do this in this day and age. Lots of people getting into health and starting to think about what they put in their bodies, yet grown adults are still drinking milk that comes from another mammal. Do people really think that it's normal to do so? Or more so, do they think it's healthy? Or worse.. necessary?!

Do you eat dairy products? 427 votes

Yes
    0% 1 vote
    No
    95% 407 votes
    Just a little
    4% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WrigleysExtra

Just asked someone to slap me across the face after reading that. Nothing wrong with dairy at all. A good source of protein and fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FluffTheDog

Just asked someone to slap me across the face after reading that. Nothing wrong with dairy at all. A good source of protein and fat.

Really? You don't think it's weird to drink breast milk from another animal? Milk that is obviously made for that animals offspring?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ohh ffs, does this really need its own thread. If the owl' one next door was offering me her breast milk Id take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Really? You don't think it's weird to drink breast milk from another animal? Milk that is obviously made for that animals offspring?

Well do you agree with eating the rest of the animal so long as we don't drink its milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Well do you agree with eating the rest of the animal so long as we don't drink its milk?
    Id eat the Aul wan next door as well

• Advertisement

Nope I don't actually.

I think the dairy issue is a no brainer, and I want to see what other people think, not just veggies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Nope I don't actually.

I think the dairy issue is a no brainer, and I want to see what other people think, not just veggies!

Dairy has been staple of human consumption since more or less the dawn of man, so it is as wierd as using heat to cook food. You are probably against that as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Nope I don't actually.

Well if non-vegans had a problem with it, wouldn't that make them vegan and therefore not a non-vegan? In which case, non-vegans clearly don't have a problem with it and some vegans do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't experience any adverse effects from dairy and I enjoy it so I don't see a problem.

sup_dude wrote: »
    Well if non-vegans had a problem with it, wouldn't that make them vegan and therefore not a non-vegan? In which case, non-vegans clearly don't have a problem with it and some vegans do.

They would still probably be eating meat so.. not a vegan? Lots of people avoid dairy and still eat meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Because it's delicious!!!

Same goes for eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Yup , cheese , milk , butter , whey ... all delicious , dairy is fantastic in my opinion. Can't wait for the ban on raw milk to be lifted .nomnomnom

papu wrote: »
    Yup , cheese , milk , butter , whey ... all delicious , dairy is fantastic in my opinion. Can't wait for the ban on raw milk to be lifted .nomnomnom

Why is it fantastic though? Apart from the fact that you like the taste?

That and good , relatively cheap macros .

That's surely one of the biggest reasons why people eat what they eat (because they like the taste). Can I ask do you bed to take supplements as part of your vegan diet or do you get all of
    Your necessary iron, protein etc from the diet? Just something I've always been curious about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

we have to support are local farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Defender OF Faith

dairy protein sources are far more complete then any plant source in the planet in term of its amino acid profile dairy food sources will remain and continue to remain a stable food source for humanity whether you like it or not

That's surely one of the biggest reasons why people eat what they eat (because they like the taste). Can I ask do you bed to take supplements as part of your vegan diet or do you get all of
    Your necessary iron, protein etc from the diet? Just something I've always been curious about

Well a lot of people try to be as healthy as they can instead of just eating what they want.

No I don't take supplements. I was anaemic most of my life (female), and my recent blood test showed iron level of 11.6 after only 4 months on a vegan diet. I think it needs to be a little higher, but that's the highest it's ever been!! Everything else was good too. Protein is a non-issue really. The world health organisation says 5% of calories from protein is enough. So unless you're undereating, there's no way you wouldn't get enough.

Anyway I don't want to turn this thread into vegan vs non-vegan, but thanks for asking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭worded

If prefer not to have all the anti biotics given to the animals as well, but don't have a choice.

Also, I seem to have become a bit lactose intolerant of late and need to have low fat milk in my coffee or else ......

My body is not at one with dairy anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Should this thread not be in After Hours? Seriously what's wrong with dairy? Far better than coca cola, and junk food.

• Advertisement

The cheese binds together a toasted sandwich perfectly.

Well a lot of people try to be as healthy as they can instead of just eating what they want.

No I don't take supplements. I was anaemic most of my life (female), and my recent blood test showed iron level of 11.6 after only 4 months on a vegan diet. I think it needs to be a little higher, but that's the highest it's ever been!! Everything else was good too. Protein is a non-issue really. The world health organisation says 5% of calories from protein is enough. So unless you're undereating, there's no way you wouldn't get enough.

Anyway I don't want to turn this thread into vegan vs non-vegan, but thanks for asking :)

5% cals from protein? That's laughable ...where's the rest meant to come from? CARBS? The WHO obviously hate gains .. If you're healthy and active and want to have some decent muscle you want something closer to 40% kcals from protein sources

dairy protein sources are far more complete then any plant source in the planet in term of its amino acid profile dairy food sources will remain and continue to remain a stable food source for humanity whether you like it or not

If it's so great, how do you think people who avoid it stay healthy?

No need for your last few words, I'm simply intrigued by what people think of dairy's role in their diet.

papu wrote: »
    5% cals from protein? That's laughable ...where's the rest meant to come from? CARBS? The WHO obviously hate gains .. If you're healthy and active and want to have some decent muscle you want something closer to 40% kcals from protein sources

Yes a lot of people do perfectly well on low protein.
    And most Asian countries base their diet around CARBS.

Because you don't have to eat every healthy food to stay healthy.

Thanks for the answer. Don't want to drag the thread off topic was just interested

worded wrote: »
    If prefer not to have all the anti biotics given to the animals as well, but don't have a choice.

Also, I seem to have become a bit lactose intolerant of late and need to have low fat milk in my coffee or else ......

My body is not at one with dairy anymore

Yes a lot of people have problems with dairy. You don't have a choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

No need for your last few words, I'm simply intrigued by what people think of dairy's role in their diet.

You seem to think that dairy is bad for us?

How would you possibly know that ?

I eat loads of dairy as I have no bad reaction to it and I love it. I gave it up for a while and felt terruble and weak

With regard to your other comment about a mammal drinking another's milk not being normal ? Again who says ?

All animals will drink another mammals milk if they are orphaned , this has been shown millions of times

Humans are top of the food chain - this was achieved by eating plants and animals of all kinds

mickman wrote: »
    You seem to think that dairy is bad for us?

How would you possibly know that ?

I eat loads of dairy as I have no bad reaction to it and I love it. I gave it up for a while and felt terruble and weak

With regard to your other comment about a mammal drinking another's milk not being normal ? Again who says ?

All animals will drink another mammals milk if they are orphaned , this has been shown millions of times

Humans are top of the food chain - this was achieved by eating plants and animals of all kinds

Well most people aren't orphaned so there is no need for it. Actually even vets say not to give milk to dogs and cats because they believe it's not good for them.

I think that as grown adults, there is simply no need for dairy in our diets. And there's a lot of doctors out their saying it is bad for us. Dr John McDougall and Dr Greger to name only 2.

Question for you, do you honestly not believe that dairy is made by female cows for their calves, in the same way that women make milk for their human babies?

• Advertisement

Jesus wept.

Advertisement