Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar problem

• 30-08-2014 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have a 30 tube kingspan hp with 300 litre triple coil tank.The system was working great until recently but now the pump is making noise when it is on.There is no heat dump rad or exchanger fitted.We need to have one fitted to prevent the overheating happening again,but need some guidance on the size of the radiator to fit.I presume the rad should be big enough to dissipate the entire output of the solar system?We will have to have the system refilled and pressurised also.I note there is no mention of this heat dump in the documentation that came with the system. Also ,there is no mention of what pressure to use. The flow rate is given as 3litres/minute.System pressure has always been 1bar.All help and guidance will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

prf wrote: »
    I have a 30 tube kingspan hp with 300 litre triple coil tank.The system was working great until recently but now the pump is making noise when it is on.There is no heat dump rad or exchanger fitted.We need to have one fitted to prevent the overheating happening again,but need some guidance on the size of the radiator to fit.I presume the rad should be big enough to dissipate the entire output of the solar system?We will have to have the system refilled and pressurised also.I note there is no mention of this heat dump in the documentation that came with the system. Also ,there is no mention of what pressure to use. The flow rate is given as 3litres/minute.System pressure has always been 1bar.All help and guidance will be appreciated.

Hi
    Obviously you have a bigger problem than your heat dump at present if the pump is making a noise
    You probably have no or low glycol within your system caused by
    1. Small leaks at joints due to fiber washers
    2. System had a major over heat and built up too much pressure which was then released through the pressure release valve at the side of your pumping station into a container or drain.
    Check the pressure gauge on your pumping station for pressure, late at night or early morning when the system has cooled down
    It should be around 2 bar pressure..
    With regards to heat dumping, forget about fitting a radiator, use your existing heating system to disburse the excess heat from the tank
    It's a simple fit and you don't have to worry about more joints in your solar system
    Don't leave this repair until next March or it could get a lot more expensive.

Cc

• Registered Users Posts: 47 prf

Thanks for the advice

PRF

Advertisement