Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBJ v Other Martial arts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I train with John Maguire, I try to practice techniques not practised much or some now illegal in judo or simply not used alot in MMA much, ude-hiji-ashi-kansetsu, (google is your friend), shime-garami, atama-hishigi, or my favourite the kata gatame choke

I didn't go through them all, but isn't the last one just an arm-triangle. Pretty common I would of thought.

There could easily be set up differences. But how important are they.

Edit: I didn't see the second page. I seen Doug pointed out that its just an arm-triangle above.
    The "I meant reverse" was lol, the vid posted would of simply been called a north south choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This whole thread reads like it took place in a schoolyard, with "My dad" and "Your dad" replaced by names of various martial arts!

And "My friend is" replacing "My dad taught everything he knows to"

and "John Maguire" replacing "Jean Claude Van Damme"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This whole thread reads like it took place in a schoolyard, with "My dad" and "Your dad" replaced by names of various martial arts!

We's gonna post like it's 1999 man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Melina Nutty Ice

antybots wrote: »
    I'm having trouble figuring out the point of the thread. I initially thought the op was making an observation about bjj and was wondering in which other styles could a fighter compete with a bjj player, but as I read the thread, the OP's suggestion seems to be that it's pointless doing a striking art at all because you can get beaten by a grappler. Or am I reading too much into the comments?

Its one of the stupidest, thickest threads in the history of the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

great fight in ufc with john maguire

how are his results in grappling in uk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 beat root

The only martial arts I have seen compete with BBJ and give it trouble are Greco-Roman wrestling, especially the submission version (I prefer it to BBJ, although BBJ has "borrowed" some of its chokes, arm bars and tri angles), judo, although only high dan grades seem to be able to hold their own against BBJ and Sambo, something I hope to do more of in the future, it has alot of leg locks etc.

Things like Karate, Kung fu etc are left totally exposed by BBJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQXlg7DksvY

Does it always have to come down my style is better than your style? What makes BJJ good as is also what makes it weak. Just as BJJ can expose 'striking arts', BJJ exponents can find themselves equally exposed by muay thai, karate, boxing etc. Have you ever watched matches between a skilled judo guy and skilled BJJ guy. 'Surprisingly', one is better in the standup grappling and throwing and the other better on the ground. But one thing is for sure, i'd rather be able to throw someone on concrete, than grapple on concrete. BJJ and other grappling arts have a lot to offer, but they are not much use when you get a kick or knee in the ribs

Forget about styles, take whats useful for you from different martial arts and discard whats not. Or to put it another way, there is a lot of knowledge out there, so just train.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

beat root wrote: »

BJJ and other grappling arts have a lot to offer, but they are not much use when you get a kick or knee in the ribs

Say what?

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    Say what?

Sorry if I'm not clear. I'm just trying to make the point to 'Crusader777' that different martial arts have their pros and cons and that BJJ is not the be all and end all i.e it can be neutralized by a good 'striker'. I trust we both accept that good kicks can end fights! Equally, a good BJJ guy could dominate a 'striker' if he gets in close. But the guys that does both well is on a winner

Sorry if I'm not clear. I'm just trying to make the point to 'Crusader777' that different martial arts have their pros and cons and that BJJ is not the be all and end all i.e it can be neutralized by a good 'striker'. I trust we both accept that good kicks can end fights! Equally, a good BJJ guy could dominate a 'striker' if he gets in close. But the guys that does both well is on a winner

Bit of a circa 1993 argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well obviously the guy who know both is a winner. But saying BJJ/grappling is not much use if you get kicked is exaggerating a little.
    Kicks can end fights, but a badly timed strike can also result in a submission

• Advertisement

Very true. What can I say? I shouldn't be responding to that 'my Da would Kill your Da' nonsense. But I'm sure you still hear it in school yards. Besides, I didn't even know what BJJ was in 1993

Mellor wrote: »
    Well obviously the guy who know both is a winner. But saying BJJ/grappling is not much use if you get kicked is exaggerating a little.
    Kicks can end fights, but a badly timed strike can also result in a submission

No argument with that

I think we've all agreed that BJJ is the best single martial art. We can move on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think we've all agreed that BJJ is the best single martial art. We can move on now.

lol

Styles have their own doctrines and when the doctrines become gospel, its great to see the Sakurabas of the world poke holes in the doctrine, allowing everybody to move on

Styles have their own doctrines and when the doctrines become gospel, its great to see the Sakurabas of the world poke holes in the doctrine, allowing everybody to move on

The only doctrine in BJJ is "SMASH!"

The only doctrine in BJJ is "SMASH!"

That probably explains the disproportionate amount of muppets that BJJ seems to attract. It would make you take up knitting

That probably explains the disproportionate amount of muppets that BJJ seems to attract. It would make you take up knitting

From your posts, I would draw the conclusion that you've never put a foot inside a BJJ gym.

From your posts, I would draw the conclusion that you've never put a foot inside a BJJ gym.

Like your suggestion that 'SMASH' was the only doctrine in BJJ, you are mistaken again. Not that its really relevant , but I've trained under Jk and was up in IP before it moved/became Kyuzo. Regardless, I prefer to see BJJ as a cognitive art, but I'm sure you're BJJ you'll get much better with your 'SMASH' philosophy

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

'SMASH' would be a good description of EnjoyChoke's own BJJ skills to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

if beat root trained in sbg under jk then im sure he probably got a severe knee riding by a certain someone :D

crosdad wrote: »
    if beat root trained in sbg under jk then im sure he probably got a severe knee riding by a certain someone :D

Crosdad, i've had my shares of knees on stomach, not too mention sore necks. Maybe 'enjoychoke' and I have shared an intimate moment in the past, who knows?. Having learnt the hard way to be soft, it doesn't happen so often anymore.

I quote from a man who never practiced any martial arts but seemed to understand a lot about bjj

'Be soft in your practice. Think of the method as a fine silvery stream, not a raging waterfall. Follow the stream in its course. It will go its own way, meandering here, trickling there. It will find the grooves, the cracks, the crevices. Just follow it. Never let it out of your sight. It will take you.
    Sheng-yen'

'Be soft in your practice. Think of the method as a fine silvery stream, not a raging waterfall. Follow the stream in its course. It will go its own way, meandering here, trickling there. It will find the grooves, the cracks, the crevices. Just follow it. Never let it out of your sight. It will take you.
    Sheng-yen'

Think I've said similar after about ten pints. In any case I'm only yanking your chain. Am a little tired of style vs style arguments... when clearly Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

clearly Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is king.
    Two words - Dim Mak.

Count_dante_ad_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

If your not doing BJJ your either a bender or a bender.

Think I've said similar after about ten pints. In any case I'm only yanking your chain. Am a little tired of style vs style arguments... when clearly Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is king.

Yeah man, get in my guard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO-x2eXtiZg&feature=related

da-bres wrote: »
    If your not doing BJJ your either a bender or a bender.

Some people like to make eye contact when they're in guard

Some people like to make eye contact when they're in guard

Lots of eye contact in this one, then someone got bored, fell asleep (around the same time I did) and got submitted :pac:

Lads, style -v- style discussion are pure idiocy IMO.

As is proven by its popularity BJJ is hugely enjoyable, but so too is TKD and other karate styles.

This thread is like the chats we all had back in the IRMAC forum days, it was stupid then and its even more stupid now.

If someone wants to do BJJ just do it, its the craic, very enjoyable and pretty low impact so it'll feel completely safe to the beginner.

This thread is an abomination and should be purged with fire.

• Advertisement

This thread is an abomination and should be purged with fire.

And blasted with piss :D

Advertisement