Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Cake Man wrote: »
    Mount Sion 0-16 Ballygunner 2-8

Big shock with Sion dumping out defending champions. Dire game only sprang to life about 10 mins into second half. Ballygunner got a second late goal to put a point between the teams but Sion held on.

Semi final draw:

Mount Sion v DLS
    Fourmilewater v Dungarvan

Does this mean that the County Final is in Fraher Field. Tallow went to Waterford last year, and as there will be an east and west team in the final, it has to be in Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Black Suir wrote: »
    Does this mean that the County Final is in Fraher Field. Tallow went to Waterford last year, and as there will be an east and west team in the final, it has to be in Dungarvan.

Considering the dire financial situation the board is in, I wonder might they be better off just having it in Walsh Park and possibly attracting a bigger crowd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Fair play to Sion. It was suggested here a few months back that Sion should in the top 3/4 in the county but it was responded that this statement was the biggest joke of all time! Now their back in a co. semi final and shows how the co. championship really only gets going in the quarter finals. league form counts for nothing

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cheers lads, was curious as to who played there.

Harty Cup is back this Wednesday. DLS v Castletroy, Blackwater v Our Lady's Templemore, Colaiste na Deise v Doon CBS. Would anyone have an idea of where these games are being played? Would like to try get to one.

Keep an eye on http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/post-primary-schools/ - there was venues and times put up for four of the other fixtures today, so presume more will be put up tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Keep an eye on http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/post-primary-schools/ - there was venues and times put up for four of the other fixtures today, so presume more will be put up tomorrow
    As far as i know the Blackwater fixture is off due to Tipperary's involvement in the minor replay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

hardybuck wrote: »

Considering the dire financial situation the board is in, I wonder might they be better off just having it in Walsh Park and possibly attracting a bigger crowd?

All hurling county finals from juvenile to senior are in Fraher Field this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

City propaganda :p
    Fair play to Sion. It was suggested here a few months back that Sion should in the top 3/4 in the county but it was responded that this statement was the biggest joke of all time! Now their back in a co. semi final and shows how the co. championship really only gets going in the quarter finals. league form counts for nothing

With respect, while credit is awarded where it's due, the application of criticism should follow suit. They lost to Dunhill, who were relegated and are thus the worst team in the Championship this year. They also lost 3 games on the spin and were very close to not making the quarter finals. They are also the 3rd team to beat Ballygunner this year.

That said, this was a knockout game and the general consensus was that Ballygunner would be a much different team at this stage of the competition. Fairplay to Mount Sion, and I'm sure they'll be delighted getting one over on their biggest rivals (two years on the trot now, they surely raise their game for the Gunners). It doesn't get any easier from here on in.

I'm being constantly reminded that if Mount Sion don't win it out this year it will be the longest barren spell in their history. Maybe I should pay more heed to that :o

All hurling county finals from juvenile to senior are in Fraher Field this year.

While I appreciate that there is a certain amount of protocol and regulation behind decision making at board level, and normally rightfully so, you've got to challenge decision making which does not make commercial sense.

With either DLS or Mount Sion going to be in the final, you'd get a huge walk up crowd on the day from people loosely connected with those clubs who live close to the stadium, many of whom wouldn't have cars, and if they did certainly wouldn't drive to Dungarvan.

While it might go against the grain to break with tradition and to accommodate fair weather supporters, the county board need to maximise every possible revenue stream to it's absolute limit in the coming years.

While I appreciate that there is a certain amount of protocol and regulation behind decision making at board level, and normally rightfully so, you've got to challenge decision making which does not make commercial sense.

With either DLS or Mount Sion going to be in the final, you'd get a huge walk up crowd on the day from people loosely connected with those clubs who live close to the stadium, many of whom wouldn't have cars, and if they did certainly wouldn't drive to Dungarvan.

While it might go against the grain to break with tradition and to accommodate fair weather supporters, the county board need to maximise every possible revenue stream to it's absolute limit in the coming years.

I'd agree on a broad level here hardy, and tradition never really meant an awful lot to me anyway (traditionally the game tends to be in Walsh Park anyway) but for a County Final I would expect a huge crowd, and while there isn't a big population around The Nire area, I would still expect a sizeable crowd if they made the final. It goes without saying that Dungarvan would draw a huge crowd in Dungarvan. I think the neutral interest in the game will be pretty big anyway, so I expect you'll see a very large crowd anyway.

I'd agree on a broad level here hardy, and tradition never really meant an awful lot to me anyway (traditionally the game tends to be in Walsh Park anyway) but for a County Final I would expect a huge crowd, and while there isn't a big population around The Nire area, I would still expect a sizeable crowd if they made the final. It goes without saying that Dungarvan would draw a huge crowd in Dungarvan. I think the neutral interest in the game will be pretty big anyway, so I expect you'll see a very large crowd anyway.

Precisely, and Walsh Park is a better equipped stadium for larger crowds.

• Advertisement

Better equipped? It has a bigger capacity (not a huge difference, and I can't see a sell out) but better equipped I would not agree with! Parking could be an issue in Dungarvan alright, but then again we often have to park out around Roanmore's clubhouse which is a decent walk, so I'd imagine it would be similar. In terms of the inside stadium facilities, well they're practically the same.

Sure, Walsh Park have put in the rails on the bank across from the stand, but that doesn't even nearly make up for the fact that the pitch is one of the worst in Waterford.

Better equipped? It has a bigger capacity (not a huge difference, and I can't see a sell out) but better equipped I would not agree with! Parking could be an issue in Dungarvan alright, but then again we often have to park out around Roanmore's clubhouse which is a decent walk, so I'd imagine it would be similar. In terms of the inside stadium facilities, well they're practically the same.

Sure, Walsh Park have put in the rails on the bank across from the stand, but that doesn't even nearly make up for the fact that the pitch is one of the worst in Waterford.

Yeah we could have the debate all day, but in reality they are both bad stadia. Walsh Park has more capacity - a bigger stand, rails on the terraces which are also bigger. Fraher essentially just has grass banks.

Considering that the CB is raffling off hurls to try and raise money these days, I think even if you had only 500 extra people attending in Walsh Park then they should run with it.

City propaganda :p

With respect, while credit is awarded where it's due, the application of criticism should follow suit. They lost to Dunhill, who were relegated and are thus the worst team in the Championship this year. They also lost 3 games on the spin and were very close to not making the quarter finals. They are also the 3rd team to beat Ballygunner this year.

That said, this was a knockout game and the general consensus was that Ballygunner would be a much different team at this stage of the competition. Fairplay to Mount Sion, and I'm sure they'll be delighted getting one over on their biggest rivals (two years on the trot now, they surely raise their game for the Gunners). It doesn't get any easier from here on in.

I'm being constantly reminded that if Mount Sion don't win it out this year it will be the longest barren spell in their history. Maybe I should pay more heed to that :o

to be fair looking at mount sion on paper they shouldnt have been written off as easily as they were. some real quality still there and you could safely say 1 to 15 have all represented the county at either minor, u21 or senior level at some stage. they have been underperforming badly the last few years and even found themselves in a relegation final a couple years back, which is inexcusable given the depth of talent at their disposal. admittedly theyre not the force they were but I was baffled as to how poorly they have been performing the last couple years, they possibly have finally got their act together now, and I can tell you now they wont fear DLS by any stretch. dark horses imo

dissapointing news on the football management front

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=177606

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

To be fair, not that surprising. Was mentioned here recently that he apparently wasn't interested in the Waterford job and let's be honest, he could get a bigger gig somewhere else up the country.

Am fairly sure the semi's are:

DLS v Mount Sion at Walsh Park on Saturday 29th at 5pm
    Fourmilewater v Dungarvan at Fraher Field on Sunday 30th at 6pm

CB obviously making sure not to clash directly with the AI replay

To be fair, not that surprising. Was mentioned here recently that he apparently wasn't interested in the Waterford job and let's be honest, he could get a bigger gig somewhere else up the country.

He also ruptured his cruciate ligament while training with DLS the week before he resigned from the Wexford job. You'd imagine that had some impact on his decision making.

to be fair looking at mount sion on paper they shouldnt have been written off as easily as they were. some real quality still there and you could safely say 1 to 15 have all represented the county at either minor, u21 or senior level at some stage. they have been underperforming badly the last few years and even found themselves in a relegation final a couple years back, which is inexcusable given the depth of talent at their disposal. admittedly theyre not the force they were but I was baffled as to how poorly they have been performing the last couple years, they possibly have finally got their act together now, and I can tell you now they wont fear DLS by any stretch. dark horses imo

While they mightn't fear DLS should they fear them? They already suffered a heavy defeat to them earlier in the year. Did you see them play against Ballygunner, and if so was there a big improvement in performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think Fourmile or Dungarvan would be mad to give up playing in Fraher Field.

While they mightn't fear DLS should they fear them? They already suffered a heavy defeat to them earlier in the year. Did you see them play against Ballygunner, and if so was there a big improvement in performance?

No I didnt see the Ballygunner game. But I wasnt as surprised as some with the result, they should be better than what they have been all along.
    I saw DLS on Saturday alright and while youd have to say they are the strongest team left they are far from invincible. They shipped 4 goals at the back and didnt score any themselves. Their not as tight at the back as when they won the co. a couple years ago and the keeper is dodgy aswell. They will be favourites alright but Id give Mt Sion a chance at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

couldn't blame him really... in a few years maybe he will but not now. He knows that we don't have the players to get anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Hard to see past a FMW V DLS county final.

should be a great game.

Does anybody know what date the final is scheduled for?

Is there proof out there to say that Walsh Park gets better attendances than Fraher Field. There is a lot of supporters in the city that do not watch clubs other than their own. How many Ballygunner or Roanmore supporters or even supporters of the looser of the Mount Sion and De La Salle game will turn up to see the County Final if it was in Walsh Park, even if it was to be played in their own club grounds would they turn up. I have a feeling that not many would. I have seen supports from the city turn up for a double header game, and if there club was in the first game, win loose or draw many of them are gone at the final whistle and if they are in the second game, there would be a fair amount of them that would not see the majority of the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

The Local Bar Junior Hurling Senior Attached Playoff's / Final's Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 Fourmilewater 2 - 15 1 - 11 Lismore Fraher Field Knockout Stages Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 Ballygunner/Baile Gunnair 2 - 8 0 - 16 Mt. Sion/Cnoc Sion Walsh Park The Local Bar West Junior Hurling Premier Playoff's / Finals Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 Colligan 2 - 21 3 - 15 Ballysaggart Fraher Field Lawlors Hotel West Junior Football (Senior Attached) Playoff's / Finals Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 Clashmore/Kinsalebeg

An Rinn Abbeyside Ballinacourty Conceded by An Rinn Under 16 Hurling Div 3 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 St. Oliver's 1 - 15 2 - 5 Ballyduff Lower Ballinameela Div 1 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 Mt. Sion/Cnoc Sion 2 - 11 0 - 11 Cappoquin Affane Leamybrien Under 16 Hurling Div 2 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 Clashmore/Kinsalebeg 5 - 6 0 - 17 Fourmilewater An Chlais Mhór Under 16 Hurling Div 3 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 Ardmore

Cumannan an tSlánaitheora Ardmore Conceded by Cumannan an tSlánaitheora County U16 Div 1 Playoff Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 Passage 4 - 7 1 - 14 Lismore John Mitchels Under 16 Hurling Div 3 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 Naomh Brid 4 - 9 2 - 5 Rodaithe na Brice Tourneena 16-Sep-2012 An Ghaeltacht 1 - 4 1 - 4 Butlerstown GAA Club Páirc Uí Shíothcháin Div 1 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 Cois Bhride 3 - 12 2 - 8 Roanmore Dungarvan Under 16 Hurling Div 2 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 Micheal MacCraith Tramore 0 - 12 2 - 10 Cluain Fhia/Clonea Micheal MacCraith Tra Mhór Under 16 Hurling Div 4 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 An tSráidbhaile 3 - 9 3 - 2 Ballyduff Upper An tSráidbhaile Under 16 Hurling Div 2 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 16-Sep-2012 Dunhill/Fenor 2 - 12 4 - 8 Ferrybank Fenor East Junior Football Championship Proper Knockouts Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 15-Sep-2012 Butlerstown GAA Club 0 - 10 2 - 10 Ferrybank Butlerstown 15-Sep-2012 Naomh Pól 1 - 11 1 - 9 Ballyduff Lower Walsh Park Minor Hurling Division 3 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 15-Sep-2012 Ardmore

St. Oliver's Ardmore Conceded by Ardmore Knockout Stages Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 15-Sep-2012 De La Salle 0 - 24 4 - 11 Lismore Fraher Field East Intermediate Hurling Championship Knockouts Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 15-Sep-2012 Mt. Sion/Cnoc Sion 1 - 10 2 - 14 Cluain Fhia/Clonea Kill East Junior Hurling Championship Senior Attached Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 15-Sep-2012 Ballygunner/Baile Gunnair 4 - 10 1 - 13 Passage Walsh Park Knockout Stages Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 15-Sep-2012 Dungarvan 1 - 16 1 - 10 Tallow Fraher Field East Intermediate Hurling Championship Knockouts Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 15-Sep-2012 Portlaw 1 - 24 1 - 16 Cumannan an tSlánaitheora Kill Senior Hurling Relegation Playoff Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 15-Sep-2012 Ballyduff Upper 1 - 20 0 - 18 Dunhill Leamybrien Div 3 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 15-Sep-2012 Dún na Mainistreach-Baile na Cúirte 2 - 5 2 - 7 Ballyduff Upper Fraher Field Div 1 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 15-Sep-2012 Dún na Mainistreach-Baile na Cúirte 4 - 10 1 - 5 Dungarvan Fraher Field Div 2 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 15-Sep-2012 Naomh Brid 9 - 14 0 - 4 Fourmilewater Fraher Field Comeragh Oil Western Intermediate Hurling Playoff's / Finals Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 14-Sep-2012 Clashmore/Kinsalebeg 1 - 18 2 - 16 An Rinn Fraher Field Lawlors Hotel West Junior Football (Senior Attached) Playoff's / Finals Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 14-Sep-2012 An tSráidbhaile 0 - 5 0 - 7 Kilrossanty/Cill Rosanta An tSráidbhaile Under 16 Hurling Div 1 Group 2 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 14-Sep-2012 Erins Own Sacred Heart 0 - 10 4 - 11 Passage Rogha Éireann Croí naofa Under 16 Hurling Div 3 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 14-Sep-2012 Rodaithe na Brice 3 - 18 0 - 2 Butlerstown GAA Club Brickey Rangers Under 16 Hurling Div 2 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 13-Sep-2012 Ferrybank 5 - 9 4 - 9 Fourmilewater Port Mhór Div 3 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 13-Sep-2012 Butlerstown GAA Club 0 - 9 0 - 10 St. Marys Walsh Park Div 1 Semi Final Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 13-Sep-2012 Dún na Mainistreach-Baile na Cúirte 0 - 6 6 - 8 De La Salle B Kill Minor Hurling Division 1 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 13-Sep-2012 Naomh Brid 1 - 13 2 - 12 De La Salle Colligan Under 14 Hurling Div 1 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 13-Sep-2012 Cappoquin Affane 1 - 4 3 - 16 Dungarvan Ceapach Chuinn Áth Meadhan Under 16 Hurling Div 2 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 12-Sep-2012 Cluain Fhia/Clonea 4 - 12 2 - 10 Dunhill/Fenor Cluain Fhia Under 16 Hurling Div 4 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 12-Sep-2012 Ballyduff Upper

St. Marys Ballyduff Upper Conceded by St. Marys 12-Sep-2012 Kilrossanty/Cill Rosanta

An tSráidbhaile Cill Rosanta Conceded by Kilrossanty/Cill Rosanta Under 16 Hurling Div 3 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 12-Sep-2012 St. Oliver's 3 - 19 5 - 5 An Ghaeltacht Ballinameela Under 16 Hurling Div 4 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 12-Sep-2012 Kilmacthomas 4 - 14 4 - 11 Portlaw Coill Mhic Thomaisín Under 16 Hurling Div 3 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 12-Sep-2012 Naomh Brid 5 - 20 4 - 5 Ardmore Tourneena Under 16 Hurling Div 2 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 11-Sep-2012 Micheal MacCraith Tramore 7 - 12 1 - 7 Clashmore/Kinsalebeg Micheal MacCraith Tra Mhór Under 16 Hurling Div 3 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 10-Sep-2012 Ballyduff Lower 2 - 16 1 - 10 Cumannan an tSlánaitheora Ballyduff Lower Under 16 Hurling Div 2 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 10-Sep-2012 Fourmilewater 2 - 13 2 - 8 Cluain Fhia/Clonea Caisleán Cuanach Minor Hurling Division 1 Date Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment 10-Sep-2012 Dungarvan 5 - 18 0 - 8 Mt. Sion/Cnoc Sion Dungarvan

If you want to do something about changing the protocol as you refer to above, why not get involve in administration and get things changes. We have too many talkers in this county and not enough people to put their talk into action.

You will also get a big support in Fraher Field for who ever is in the final, and not just from two clubs. It will come from right across the county. It is far easier for a farmer for example from Ballyduff, Ballysaggart, Fourmilewater, CLashmore etc to get to Fraher Field watch the game or games that will be played, and then go home and milk cows etc or whatever else that has to be done, than it would if the game was in Walsh Park, which for many is a very difficult place to get out of. As for the De La Salle or Mount Sion fans that dont have a car to get to Dungarvan to see the game, take a walk down to the quay and every hour on the hour you have busses leaving the bus station that will be travelling to Cork and that stops in Dungarvan, a short walk away from the field. And they will have them returning to Waterford again at between the hour mark and five past right up to 9 or 10pm that evening.

B.S. Walsh Park is a dive, always was and always will.

If you want to do something about changing the protocol as you refer to above, why not get involve in administration and get things changes. We have too many talkers in this county and not enough people to put their talk into action.

You will also get a big support in Fraher Field for who ever is in the final, and not just from two clubs. It will come from right across the county. It is far easier for a farmer for example from Ballyduff, Ballysaggart, Fourmilewater, CLashmore etc to get to Fraher Field watch the game or games that will be played, and then go home and milk cows etc or whatever else that has to be done, than it would if the game was in Walsh Park, which for many is a very difficult place to get out of. As for the De La Salle or Mount Sion fans that dont have a car to get to Dungarvan to see the game, take a walk down to the quay and every hour on the hour you have busses leaving the bus station that will be travelling to Cork and that stops in Dungarvan, a short walk away from the field. And they will have them returning to Waterford again at between the hour mark and five past right up to 9 or 10pm that evening.

I would consider involving myself in such a position, however I no longer live in Waterford...

In the last county board report that I could get my hands on, while Fraher Field hosted far more games than Walsh Park, they also had far lower attendences. While the profile of some of the games might have influence that, the numbers were fairly stark:

Fraher Field - 21 games - Receipts: €78, 274
    Walsh Park - 6 games - Receipts: €81, 858

B.S. Walsh Park is a dive, always was and always will.

It has a bigger stand, terraces with railing in contrast to banks of grass with no railings. Parking in Walsh Park is inferior, but Fraher isn't brilliant either.

Long story short, Walsh Park is a bigger stadium which is closer to the main population centres, and attracts bigger crowds.

I'm was hoping not to stir up a big debate about the viability of the two venues, but I believe that it would be in the best interests of the county board's finances if they held the game in the location which has proven to more lucrative.

deisedude wrote: »
    I think Fourmile or Dungarvan would be mad to give up playing in Fraher Field.

As do I. And they won't. And I don't think they'll be asked to either.

They weren't written off easily. After the start to the County League, all the talk was of how impressive they were and the hard winters training they'd done. They lost to De La Salle emphatically, and suddenly De La Salle were Munster Champions elect. They were written off because they had lost three on the bounce, including one defeat to a very poor side. The challenge for them was to get into the quarter final. Having achieved that, it was bonus territory, and who better to play than Ballygunner in that situation for them.
    No I didnt see the Ballygunner game. But I wasnt as surprised as some with the result, they should be better than what they have been all along.
    I saw DLS on Saturday alright and while youd have to say they are the strongest team left they are far from invincible. They shipped 4 goals at the back and didnt score any themselves. Their not as tight at the back as when they won the co. a couple years ago and the keeper is dodgy aswell. They will be favourites alright but Id give Mt Sion a chance at the same time

Would you believe me if I told you I wasn't all that surprised they won?

If you'd asked me before I would have said Ballygunner would most likely win, but it was going to be tight. There have been so many examples this year of teams being so heavily fancied after big wins, and that they come unstuck (in what can only involve some level of complacency), and again we saw it 2 weeks ago with BG's win over Lismore. De La Salle just about managed to avoid being caught from having to deal with a tight game with being so used to hammering teams. Ballygunner weren't so lucky.

De La Salle should be forewarned now, I think they will be too good for Mount Sion.

Yeah we could have the debate all day, but in reality they are both bad stadia. Walsh Park has more capacity - a bigger stand, rails on the terraces which are also bigger. Fraher essentially just has grass banks.

Considering that the CB is raffling off hurls to try and raise money these days, I think even if you had only 500 extra people attending in Walsh Park then they should run with it.

When last was it tested. The Waterford and Tipperary Munster Championship game back in 1996 maybe. It has not been tested with any county final played there, thats for sure. Fraher Field may have a smaller capacity - Health and Safety has it set at something between six and six and a half thousand, but the majority of the time that does us grand in this county. When last was there six thousand in Walsh Park.

• Advertisement

Am fairly sure the semi's are:

DLS v Mount Sion at Walsh Park on Saturday 29th at 5pm
    Fourmilewater v Dungarvan at Fraher Field on Sunday 30th at 6pm

CB obviously making sure not to clash directly with the AI replay

That makes sense in most people's eyes. They should do the same when it comes to the Ladies Football All-Ireland. The two football semi finals should be played on the Saturday evening in order to allow as many as want to, to get to Croke Park for the All-Ireland. The game has a 2pm start in Dublin 3 if anyone is interested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement