Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Truckermal wrote: »
    They really need to widen the slip road so two trucks can use it as opposed to one truck straddling it now!

Here here

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

What's the plan here?

Cork County Council are also advancing a scheme aimed at improving traffic flow in the general Little Island Interchange area. Tenders for the works required will be invited next month and again the intention is to complete these works in advance of the Dunkettle Interchange Main Construction Phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

paddyref wrote: »
    What's the plan here?

Cork County Council are also advancing a scheme aimed at improving traffic flow in the general Little Island Interchange area. Tenders for the works required will be invited next month and again the intention is to complete these works in advance of the Dunkettle Interchange Main Construction Phase.

Reducing footpaths and putting in extra driving lanes. I wish I was joking.

Both eastbound Little Island entrance slip lanes will be now able to turn right on to the existing motorway bridge. The bridge footpath will be reduced to a sliver on one (West) side. Bridge will be made 4 lanes wide to accommodate more cars.

The exit from the Eastgate estate to the Crompán roundabout will have two lanes which will be continued further back into Eastgate estate, almost as far as the KFC roundabout.

Entering Little Island from Crompán, the left feeder lane towards Little Island church will be extended further back towards the Crompán roundabout.

I believe the plan for users of any sustainable transport modes may be neatly encapsulated as: "PFO".

Drawing set is here:
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/sites/default/files/2018-01/T0100-00_255319-00_PL1_Combined.pdf

I consider these to be relatively typical of Cork Co Co, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

That entire junction is a disaster. There should have been a separate bridge built between the old road and Little Island with no Eastern Parkway Access.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Drawing set is here:
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/sites/default/files/2018-01/T0100-00_255319-00_PL1_Combined.pdf

I consider these to be relatively typical of Cork Co Co, personally.

And still no sign of spiral rb... ;(

Why it wasn't designed like that?!

460589.png

• Advertisement

It's a major employment centre beside the city, outside the city, not integrated with the city in any meaningful way which sees ~95% private car usage.

Even though it has a very high frequency train line very close by, this was never integrated in any meaningful way with the many industrial developments which have seen almost continuous development/expansion, for the past 5-6 years.

That entire junction is a disaster. There should have been a separate bridge built between the old road and Little Island with no Eastern Parkway Access.

Also another thing could have been to link the train station entrance directly into the Eastgate industrial estate via such a bridge. There's space beside the garage on the old Cork-Youghal road, currently used as a "Park" but hardly anyone actually uses it and it's not well landscaped / maintained.

How they thought they'd get away with continuous expansion of Eastgate and Harbour Point business parks without improving the infrastructure is beyond me. I've heard stories of people turning down job offers due to the chronic congestion.

Their future plan for a Western entrance to Little Island is pretty shambolic too: roundabout after roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Frostybrew

For Little Island, better public transport is required. Either a feeder bus from the train station and/or a full high frequency bus service from the city. A bus service from Glanmire via the train station doing a circuit of Little Island would be a good option; as it caters for the many people who live in Glanmire and work in Little Island, and will also act as a feeder service from the train station. They should also look at extending the 201 service via Glanmire and increasing it's frequency.

Improving road infrastructure without public transport improvements in an urban area is almost always counterproductive, as lack of an alternative to automobile transport causes increased reliance on the car. The extra road space created by the improvements is then quickly filled and you're back to square one.

We have seen this happen many times, most infamously with M25 improvements in the UK and with our own M50. The same will happen with both the interchange and Little Island improvements. Local commuting traffic needs to be facilitated by good public transport, leaving our road infrastructure clear for commercial vehicles and inter urban transport users.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Business parks like this should have full time shuttle buses between the train station accessing all parts of the business park, and high frequency trains to meet this.

Little Island is a joke for car dependence, and it's one of the most accessible business parks in rail terms in Cork.

Of course, you have the Tullagreen industrial estate a few km to the east with a rail line running beside the business park and no station.

Hopefully some of this will be addressed in the forthcoming Cork Transport Strategy from the NTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I work in Eastgate, somedays (2 or 3 times a week), it can take me 20 minutes to get from the central roundabout to the roundabout by the bridge, its about 300 meters. So of course the most logical thing they could do is build another huge office building for Lily which once done will add another 400 people into the park, the vast majority of which will bring a car. Those two lanes exiting Eastgate already exsist in an unofficial manner. Anyone know why they cant add an exit ramp onto the motorway at the back of the park? It would single handedly solve the issue.

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    I work in Eastgate, somedays (2 or 3 times a week), it can take me 20 minutes to get from the central roundabout to the roundabout by the bridge, its about 300 meters. So of course the most logical thing they could do is build another huge office building for Lily which once done will add another 400 people into the park, the vast majority of which will bring a car. Those two lanes exiting Eastgate already exsist in an unofficial manner. Anyone know why they cant add an exit ramp onto the motorway at the back of the park? It would single handedly solve the issue.

I see what you're saying, but think such an exit ramp could be too close to the existing one.
    The future design being implemented by Cork Co Co simultaneously with the Dunkettle Interchange Upgrade project sees an exit slip road at the west of Little Island. Most who travel into Little Island regularly will know by looking at it that it's inadequate from the start: it merges with the Dublin-Tivoli traffic using a dumbell interchange configuration. The end result will surely be more Little Island traffic jams and increased rat-running via Sallybrook/Glanmire.

I'm actually quite relieved that people see this Little Island interchange upgrade the same way I do. I thought I was the only one who could see the folly of trying to "improve throughput" without simultaneously trying to reduce the very high % of single car occupancy.
    The official feedback reports seem to show virtually no interest in any sustainable transport modes from the business park representatives.

marno21 wrote: »
    Business parks like this should have full time shuttle buses between the train station accessing all parts of the business park, and high frequency trains to meet this.

Little Island is a joke for car dependence, and it's one of the most accessible business parks in rail terms in Cork.

Of course, you have the Tullagreen industrial estate a few km to the east with a rail line running beside the business park and no station.

Hopefully some of this will be addressed in the forthcoming Cork Transport Strategy from the NTA.

In fairness to them, the train runs at a great frequency, especially around rush hour.

Glad to hear about that strategy: somebody badly needs to start taking control of the outrageous roads planning going on around Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Little Island could do with a new junction at the East End. Would take a lot of pressure off the others.

As said already, it’s not the only solution and public transport initiatives are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The official feedback reports seem to show virtually no interest in any sustainable transport modes from the business park representatives.

Typical of businesses nowadays, they couldn't give a hoot about how their employees get to work or how long it takes them, as long as they are at their desks from 9 - 5. Let me guess, anyone applying to work from home would be denyed outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The M50 was design and build contract. They added freeflow links after the initial plan was given the go ahead.

Any chance here they might do the same for the M8S - M25E link?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

The M50 was design and build contract. They added freeflow links after the initial plan was given the go ahead.

None of the original M50 sections were built under a design and build contract. It’s possible that some of the subsequent widening and grade separated intersections were, I don’t know for definite but I doubt it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

No.

No.

You're right. That would be much too sensible. Another cackhanded job it is.

If it was feasible it would be included. There are a large number of constraints for this scheme and full free flow was always ambitious. What we are getting is quite an achievement

The N8 towards the city will soon be an R road anyway, so it makes sense that the 3 long distance dual carriageways are served as opposed to the city centre link

If it was feasible it would be included. There are a large number of constraints for this scheme and full free flow was always ambitious. What we are getting is quite an achievement

The N8 towards the city will soon be an R road anyway, so it makes sense that the 3 long distance dual carriageways are served as opposed to the city centre link

The current long-term sees:
    Migration of port of Cork container depot to Ringaskiddy.
    M20 East connection to M8 at Sarsfield's court.
    Both of these would reduce traffic to Tivoli a little.

Additionally, a Park & Ride seems to be earmarked East of the new Dunkettle interchange (West of the new Little Island entrance). This junction will then somewhat resemble the Red Cow Junction 9 interchange on the M50, whereby the previously dominant City Centre traffic is deflected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭prunudo

grogi wrote: »
    And still no sign of spiral rb... ;(

Why it wasn't designed like that?!

460589.png

Whats the story with those line markings, goes against standard rules of lane discipline.

jvan wrote: »
    Whats the story with those line markings, goes against standard rules of lane discipline.

I'm not 100% what you mean, but just for clarity, this is grogi's own representation of the drawing, the actual drawing has two concentric circles, rather than the spiral shown here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm not 100% what you mean, but just for clarity, this is grogi's own representation of the drawing, the actual drawing has two concentric circles, rather than the spiral shown here.

The line markings on the roundabout would suggest that its okay to use the left hand approach lane to exit the 3rd exit.
    I know its totally off topic and maybe an oversight by the engineers/designers.

Just take out the roundabout, replace with flyovers, 2 extra new lanes each way and change to motorway status.

Simples.

If people want to support me for President i'll turn this place around! ;)

jvan wrote: »

You need to look closely at the markings when approaching this RB.

If approaching from the South, the left lane is only for left turns, while right is for going straight and turning right. However the approach from West have them differently - left lane is for left and straight, while right is for turning right only. This is from the submitted planning documents and I guess they need to be like that to maximise throughput.

I guarantee and there will be clashes at the south and north exits with some drivers following "the standard RSA-invented rules", while some will follow the directional arrows at enterance. The suggested lane markings alternations only reflect those signs at the entrance and once you enter from the correct lane, the lane marks would guide you to the exit. In original planning there are circular lanes only.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

grogi wrote: »
    You need to look closely at the markings when approaching this RB.

If approaching from the South, the left lane is only for left turns, while right is for going straight and turning right. However the approach from West have them differently - left lane is for left and straight, while right is for turning right only. This is from the submitted planning documents and I guess they need to be like that to maximise throughput.

I guarantee and there will be clashes at the south and north exits with some drivers following "the standard RSA-invented rules", while some will follow the directional arrows at enterance. The suggested lane markings alternations only reflect those signs at the entrance and once you enter from the correct lane, the lane marks would guide you to the exit. In original planning there are circular lanes only.

Actually the RSA tells you to follow the road markings and directional signage when choosing a lane on approach to a roundabout. It's only if there isn't anything explicitly telling you which lane to use, that they then recommend you use the 12 o clock rule.

And BTW all rules of the road are laws that were at some point invented by the predecessors of the RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

I think someone just wanted to suggest turbo roundabout:
    turbo-roundabout2.jpg

Geogregor wrote: »
    I think someone just wanted to suggest turbo roundabout:
    turbo-roundabout2.jpg

Baby steps... Baby steps... :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just take out the roundabout, replace with flyovers, 2 extra new lanes each way and change to motorway status.

Simples.

If people want to support me for President i'll turn this place around! ;)

There isn't the room for what you're proposing.

You have to be 35 to run for President

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They are providing the M8S - M25E movement. I think you mean M8S-N8W, which is not being provided and should not be.

Advertisement