Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website content management systems.

• 18-01-2012 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for some feedback here. I was wondering what contend management systems are available out there that are currently maintained and have gone end of life or dormant.

Specifically, I am looking for a system that can be 'included' into a site designed in dreamweaver and is not based on a template front end. Currently I use cutenews which is fantastic but apart from a few developers is largely end of life now.

Any help much appreciated.

Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Paul

Have a look at the following site, i think it pretty much outlines what you are looking for - http://www.cmsmatrix.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Folks,

Is wordpress difficult to include in a dreamweaver designed webpage, purely for a simple data management tool, but let the Dreamweaver CSS handle the layout?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Folks,

Is wordpress difficult to include in a dreamweaver designed webpage, purely for a simple data management tool, but let the Dreamweaver CSS handle the layout?

Many thanks

WordPress themes' layouts and styles are CSS-based, so from that point of view Dreamweaver (and any other CSS editor) can be used to handle the layout. You just download the relevant style sheet and edit its content.

cormee wrote: »
    WordPress themes' layouts and styles are CSS-based, so from that point of view Dreamweaver (and any other CSS editor) can be used to handle the layout. You just download the relevant style sheet and edit its content.

Hi Cormee,

Ok. The current system I use has include code for which you include a page that displays the content, and then a catagory number and a template name to configure the layout of the content.

Would something similar be possible with Wordpress?

The current system I use is cutenews

Rgds

Paul

Hi Cormee,

Ok. The current system I use has include code for which you include a page that displays the content, and then a catagory number and a template name to configure the layout of the content.

Would something similar be possible with Wordpress?

The current system I use is cutenews

Rgds

Paul

It would be possible but would take a bit of work to implement, would be a complete waste of time and a massive step backwards. WordPress is a completely enclosed database-driven CMS 'ecosystem', what you're suggesting is removing part of its core functionality and replacing it with an archaic technology that is nowhere nearly as powerful as the functionality you're removing.

Your best bet at this stage of the project is to familiarise yourself with WordPress, mess around with a vanilla install and get an idea of how it works, you'll see what I mean in the above paragraph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Once you get the hang of WordPress it really is amazing to see what you can come up with just by using some custom fields and custom post types as well as a decent SEO plugin like Yoast.

I've been using it in work for about 4 months now and I'm learning something new every day, it's a great tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

WordPress is the perfect solution for most needs. Once you've made a bit of effort to go under the hood, there are loads of great plugins to help you extend it and get it working like a 'real' CMS rather than just a blogging engine. Sitepoint have a really good (and very affordable) e-book which will bring you right up to speed - http://www.sitepoint.com/books/wpant1/

Guys,

Thanks a mill for your help on this.

The problem I find with wordpress, is as due to it being 'template' based, I find it hard to make it unique looking, something that isn't a restriction in Dreamweaver as you start with a blank canvas.

I have used it a good bit over the last few years to try and get familiar with it, but not enough to say I'm an expert by any means. Its a wonderful tool, with endless posibilities for addon's etc.

Any tips or advice on template mods would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds

PG

Guys,

Thanks a mill for your help on this.

The problem I find with wordpress, is as due to it being 'template' based, I find it hard to make it unique looking, something that isn't a restriction in Dreamweaver as you start with a blank canvas.

I have used it a good bit over the last few years to try and get familiar with it, but not enough to say I'm an expert by any means. Its a wonderful tool, with endless posibilities for addon's etc.

Any tips or advice on template mods would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds

PG

Just because a WordPress theme has a red, left-aligned, 90% wide header, it doesn't mean you can't edit the CSS to make it right-aligned, blue, 1000px wide.

Do you understand the concept of separating style from document template using CSS, and do you understand how CSS works?

WordPress is template-based, the templates are styled using separate CSS files, you edit the CSS files, not the templates, to make it unique looking.

You shouldn't need to edit the document structure, the overwhelming majority of sites, regardless of CMS or how they were produced, follow the same design patterns and use the same structure - header, navigation, content, footer - if you plan on deviating from that then WordPress might not be suitable, otherwise it is.

In most cases these themes have been designed using best-practices, standards compliant code etc, by designers who have a lot more experience than you, given your self-confessed lack of experience nothing you're going to produce will be better than these freely available themes.

Hi,

Thanks a million for that reply. Yes I do have an understanding of CSS and their workings alright.

I think my issue is that I have become used to 'designing' websites in Dreamweaver and being able to see it as I go along, rather than hard coding it and not being able to look at the site at a glance.

Are you aware of any good tutorials in particular for learning wordpress and how to customise it?

Many thanks

Paul.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks a million for that reply. Yes I do have an understanding of CSS and their workings alright.

I think my issue is that I have become used to 'designing' websites in Dreamweaver and being able to see it as I go along, rather than hard coding it and not being able to look at the site at a glance.

Are you aware of any good tutorials in particular for learning wordpress and how to customise it?

Many thanks

Paul.

Just download Firebug for Firefox, you'll be able to make and preview CSS edits without having to edit & FTP the actual CSS file. If you like how your edits look, you can then make them on the file and upload it.

No, I don't know of any tutorials, sorry. You should be looking for tutorials on CSS btw, you shouldn't need to edit your WordPress installation (outside the CSS files)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I just want to add to this conversation by saying wordpress is the balls.

CI is better tho :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

there used to be a dreamweaver plugin for joomla I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

sheesh wrote: »
    there used to be a dreamweaver plugin for joomla I think

But Joomla is crap :p

red_ice wrote: »
    I just want to add to this conversation by saying wordpress is the balls.

CI is better tho :pac:

Whats CI?

Advertisement