Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATC recruitment with IAA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

darragh-k wrote: »
    The way I see it you have 3 options and becoming an aeonautical radio officer isn't one

While it may not be a direct route to becoming a controller, having the experience of doing the apptitude test, going through the interview process, not to mention actually working in the IAA itself will give you a significant advantage over anyone else applying for the Student Controller Programme. Obviously you wouldn't become an aeronautical radio officer just to become an air traffic controller, but if you were to decide a few years into the job you wanted to switch to ATC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Jim236 wrote: »
    While it may not be a direct route to becoming a controller, having the experience of doing the apptitude test, going through the interview process, not to mention actually working in the IAA itself will give you a significant advantage over anyone else applying for the Student Controller Programme. Obviously you wouldn't become an aeronautical radio officer just to become an air traffic controller, but if you were to decide a few years into the job you wanted to switch to ATC...

Exactly, I mean you have to do the aptitude test to get into ANY ATC job, even at the regionals, its not about who you work for, you need to pass it to get a license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

darragh-k wrote: »
    You don't expect him to give it away that easily do you:p

Nah to be honest this aptitude is little good to anybody looking to apply as a student air traffic controller,

True, didn't think of it that way! No harm in knowing though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Does anyone have any idea on how many positions are available? What is the 12 month training program like, is it predominantely on the job training or is it mainly class room based. Also what type of numbers will the cut after the aptitude test? If I remember correctly from the last ATC student recruitment drive it was 250 people were called for the first interview from approx 2000 applicants, after that 100 people got called back for the final interview. Cant remember how many positions they had though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 aero2009

There is 12 positions for the Radio Officer job with over 2000 applications.. The last ATC competition had c.1800 applications for 24 positions. So if your figures are correct with 250 called for first interview I would predict half will be called for the Radio Officer positions c.150.
    I would suspect that there will be a very small number called for first interview as the time period between the tests and the actual start date for interview is only 2 weeks (beginning on the 16th February.
    Jesus is there anything easy!!!

• Advertisement

This may seem like a stupid question, but are you allowed use a paper and pen for rough work in the numerical apptitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

no idea to be honest. i think they're meant to be done without, though...
    have you ever done an iq test? did you feel like paper and pen would have helped you a lot? :D

electron wrote: »
    no idea to be honest. i think they're meant to be done without, though...
    have you ever done an iq test? did you feel like paper and pen would have helped you a lot? :D

Lol no, but have done a few practice questions and I don't know how anyone could do some of them in their head, then again those websites allowed you to use a calculator or a pen & paper, so maybe the IAA's questions will be more reasonable if neither are allowed. I hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JonnyK

electron wrote: »
    i think http://www.practicetests.co.uk/ as mentioned earlier is quite a good place to start ;)

Hey,

Do you know what the story is with practicetests.co.uk? I have been answering the questions but the answers never come up when I click 'yes' at the end.

Frustrating!

JonnyK wrote: »
    Hey,

Do you know what the story is with practicetests.co.uk? I have been answering the questions but the answers never come up when I click 'yes' at the end.

Frustrating!

Same thing happens to me, tried on 2 different browers, on 2 different computers, and couldn't get the results to load.

• Advertisement

Same thing happens to me, tried on 2 different browers, on 2 different computers, and couldn't get the results to load.

Cheers for that, I re-loaded Adobe flashplayer thinking that might help but no joy. Getting sick of practising aptitude tests at this point, don't my level will improve drastically between now and next week.

Hopefully they won't be too difficult and generally speaking you are allowed to use rough paper for maths aptitude tests - unless we're expected to be robots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

i don't get you.
    it's primary school stuff after all, arithmetics only.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Are we allowed to bring a calculator for the numerical?? :-)

Poloman wrote: »
    Are we allowed to bring a calculator for the numerical?? :-)

That numerical aptitudes have loads of variations from simple adding, multiplying etc to sequences, problem solving, graphs, charts and accompanying questions.

Some people are more skilled and suited than others and we aren't sure which types of the above will feature.

Calculators are usually allowed but can't be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Cheers. Stiff competition so folks

2000+ of us for 12 jobs. Getting an interview will be a decent achievement! Good luck

Questions are multiple choice - so I would imagine there will be not calculators allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

There obviously going to be taking a set amount of people. Now this is going to sound very bad but maybe those of us who do the exam first shouldnt give out info about the exam and what its like. Like your just helping someone else get higher up on the list, resulting in you ( and me!) not getting to the next stage.
    Im normally not as evil as this you can see from other posts of mine where i have been happy to give out info after I have done a test, but it is tough competition in this 2000 applicants and only 12 places.

I agree 100%.
    this is a competition..

I agree too lads,

My test is not till Thursday but there's no way I'd expect tips from anyone who have done their tests before that.

All I'll say to everyone is best of luck and hopefully a few of us will strike gold.

Good luck...:rolleyes:

Jaysus way to ruin it for those of us takin the test on Friday!:p

J/k, best o luck to everyone! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hannah-j

someone tell me what atc stands for???/

i love flying and planes and ive never heard of that before and would love to learn more

???

x:D

hannah-j wrote: »
    someone tell me what atc stands for???/

i love flying and planes and ive never heard of that before and would love to learn more

???

x:D

Are all Galwegians as special as you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Dont tell her this could be on the test :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Are all Galwegians as special as you?

No.:)

Hannah its Air Traffic Control, and I can see how you're confused seeing as they're not even recruiting air traffic controllers....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

good luck to everyone!
    i got mine tomorrow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭iceax

swapple wrote: »
    good luck to everyone!
    i got mine tomorrow :eek:

Best of luck 2mor . tell us all after what it was like !! be sure to give an example of the hard ones !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 missghughes

Dont worry its not hard!!

DOnt want to give away to much because you are my competition!!:D

I did do some prep beforehand but honestly dont think it helped!

3 tests, 20minutes each.........its a lotto!!

Best of Luck

My test is on Friday evening and I dont think it should be discussed..
    Leaving hints etc is not of any benefit to either people who have done the test or planning to do same over the next few days.

please DO NOT discuss the tests until they are completed.. last test I believe is Saturday evening.:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ToeRag881

Its been a recurring issue in this thread that i feel needs to be addressed. Its an APTITUDE test.. lol You can't practice. You either have it or you don't.

Aptitude [ap-ti-tood, -tyood] –noun
    natural ability to acquire knowledge or skill; the condition of being suitable

• Advertisement

ToeRag881 wrote: »
    Its been a recurring issue in this thread that i feel needs to be addressed. Its an APTITUDE test.. lol You can't practice. You either have it or you don't.

Aptitude [ap-ti-tood, -tyood] –noun
    natural ability to acquire knowledge or skill; the condition of being suitable

Exactly, its not as if knowing some of the questions is gonna help you in any way. I don't agree with yeah though that you either have it or yeah don't, IMO if you practice enough you can train your brain to think a certain way in order to answer the questions, but obviously studying won't help yeah.

Advertisement