Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

POGAN wrote: »
    Charlie here video from youtube of driving schools 12 mondeo on response part of driving course

http://youtu.be/CDiZI4FbNi4[/QUOTE]

Its a pity the patrol was not a JCB with sirens, at least they could have thought that idiot driving that silver Ford a good lesson.

That must drive lads who are in a serious rush around the twist :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Looks well, it's got blues in the grill and on the front numberplate surround.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

there very little of 170 new cars around is it just me, cobh got one focus estate regular havent seen anymore. i know traffic unit that need atleast one car they are after losing 3 cars using fiat Ulysses at the mo

Well Drogheda didn't get it's Avensis until mid-late December as far as I know (though I could be wrong). I reckon it could be even January 2013 before we see a few of them out and about (could AGS hold off on getting a large portion of the cars to try and ensure they have a fancy new number plate? Make them look newer?).

That's one of the unmarked cars taken back by the depot to be marked up. Rebekah Whining Scalpel you said there camera inside of it would make me think it's traffic but no battenburgs?

From what I can see, it belongs to the Traffic Corps, alright. No battenburg, just a single stripe. Rear-facing camera in the back window (and ANPR device on the boot).

Will hopefully get some better shots today, all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Well Drogheda didn't get it's Avensis until mid-late December as far as I know (though I could be wrong). I reckon it could be even January 2013 before we see a few of them out and about (could AGS hold off on getting a large portion of the cars to try and ensure they have a fancy new number plate? Make them look newer?).

I dont think they are waiting for new reg plates as if you remeber there was toyotas came out in late January this year where all reg plated for 2011

• Advertisement

I dont think they are waiting for new reg plates as if you remeber there was toyotas came out in late January this year where all reg plated for 2011

Whilst that's true, if they're starting to mark up previously unmarked cars, and giving Traffic Corps single stripes (instead of battenburg), then I reckon that they're looking to cut corners as much as possible.

They're also getting hammered with negative press, so having "13" (or 131, as the case may be :rolleyes:) on the cars could look well for them, and could be a genuine reason to hold off on receiving the cars.

A 12 car will look out of date in a few months, whereas a 13 car will still give an impression of being relatively new in 2014 (and they can also trump out the line of "we've X amount 2013 cars in the fleet" in December next year, and it still sounds like the cars are brand new, even though they'd have been getting a beating for about 12 months by that stage).

That said, I don't know if they'd actually hold off on a car order for minor appearance issues (or even if they'd be able to hold off; I'm sure they've to order the cars by a certain date as per their contract with Ford?).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81982954&postcount=1307

Rebekah Whining Scalpel's post on the new silver fords.
    32C2FE94EDBE4949921A2805944638EE-0000333410-0003086120-01215L-AA6FEC2DA26D4F73974E3BD2A17C46C8.jpg

What's the little camera in the back?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

ANPR and rear facing video camera.

ANPR cars record live pictures non stop front and rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

Whats the red thing and the cleartone console above it. It would suggest for the siren but is that not done from the console on the dash or horn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Whats the red thing and the cleartone console above it. It would suggest for the siren but is that not done from the console on the dash or horn

Glass breaker. It shatters glass so that the glass falls towards the person holding the breaker. Ensures people in the car dont get cut when the glass is smashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Whilst that's true, if they're starting to mark up previously unmarked cars, and giving Traffic Corps single stripes (instead of battenburg), then I reckon that they're looking to cut corners as much as possible.

I wonder is this to allow for dual use by Traffic and regular units? Just note the sticker above the gear lever in the Drogheda 08 Ford, there is a sticker there mentioning 'Drogheda Div Traffic', that is obviously its dog tag, so lads cannot be fighting about who the car is assigned to.

Just re the confidental telephone number signage, I passed a 12 D Ford Patrol car today that only had the number, not the actual 'Garda Confidential Line' heading. I am not sure if that title would have fitted in that particular spot either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Charlie here video from youtube of driving schools 12 mondeo on response part of driving course

http://youtu.be/CDiZI4FbNi4

The markings on that car are actually magnetized. They can be taken off to make an unmarked. Crazy stuff saw a few of these in the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

As said, glass breaker.

The Cleartone pad is the Puma speed meter, same principle as the old VASCAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Does anyone know why it has a rear camera inside, and the black box on the boot? I thought the black box was the camera

MarkMc wrote: »
    Does anyone know why it has a rear camera inside, and the black box on the boot? I thought the black box was the camera

As far as I'm aware, the camera is a camera (ie; an actual camera) and the black box is ANPR, a device that reads number plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

MarkMc wrote: »

Black box is an infra red light that allows it to be used effectively at night.

source wrote: »
    Black box is an infra red light that allows it to be used effectively at night.

Really? That can't be right? I've never seen an actual camera mounted inside the back window of a traffic corps car (but I always see the black box on the boot)? :confused:

Really? That can't be right? I've never seen an actual camera mounted inside the back window of a traffic corps car (but I always see the black box on the boot)? :confused:

Look again, they're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 EMSCHAP

Source is correct. A close up of any ANPR equipped vehicle will show this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just found this, definitely doesn't look like a camera. I thought they were as well. Pity there isn't a more discreet way of doing it.

• Advertisement

source wrote: »
    Look again, they're there.

You're right and all. How have I never noticed that before?! :eek: :confused:

Are TC cars given tinted windows or such in the rear to hide the cameras or such? I can't figure out how I never seen them before in TC cars, but yet it was the first thing I noticed on the Silver Mondeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hang on though that car is not marked Traffic Corps

flazio wrote: »
    Hang on though that car is not marked Traffic Corps

It's a traffic car. Presumably it didn't get battenburg as battenburg is more expensive than the single stripe.

I love BX 19's post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82309142&postcount=1318

Anyone know what the story is there? Assuming it's not part of the new Ford fleet, how long has it been there and what's the purpose? (I assume someone just put it there for the laugh? But it looks like they spent ages marking it up really officially?!).

Are there any pictures/videos of Gardaí interacting with it at all? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

I love BX 19's post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82309142&postcount=1318

Anyone know what the story is there? Assuming it's not part of the new Ford fleet, how long has it been there and what's the purpose? (I assume someone just put it there for the laugh? But it looks like they spent ages marking it up really officially?!).

Are there any pictures/videos of Gardaí interacting with it at all? :D

yeah it went kinda viral on facebook the other day some fella called conor pope tweeted it... its chained to that post! as piss takes go, its alright... planes choppers horses vans cars bikes, mountain bikes, segways and now lil kids scooters!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

@ Rebekah Whining Scalpel:

Dont suppose you know why this was on blues? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82352967&postcount=1319

Be unusual enough for a responder jeep from a vol to be using blues surely?

timmywex wrote: »

Dont suppose you know why this was on blues? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82352967&postcount=1319

Cruise lights in the fog?

timmywex wrote: »

Well firstly, I should point out that the blues aren't flashing. The ones on our right (the jeep's left) look brighter because of, i believe, the roof lights on a truck cab in the background.

The lights are just on Static. From my little 'photoshoot' with that jeep a while ago, I learned that the (static) blues are connected to the headlights, and therefore, when the headlights are turned on, so are the blues. As far as I'm aware, you can't have the headlights on without the blues (ie; they both must be on).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Well firstly, I should point out that the blues aren't flashing. The ones on our right (the jeep's left) look brighter because of, i believe, the roof lights on a truck cab in the background.

The lights are just on Static. From my little 'photoshoot' with that jeep a while ago, I learned that the (static) blues are connected to the headlights, and therefore, when the headlights are turned on, so are the blues. As far as I'm aware, you can't have the headlights on without the blues (ie; they both must be on).

A lot of newer vehicles have running lights on the lightbar in OMAC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Cool cool cheers, looked awfully like they were alternating to me when i looked first!

Advertisement