Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I think the only hope of me getting a job is if it hits me in the face tbh. As much as I'd love a job I'd rather run a mile than walk right in and ask for the manager....serious awkwardness here.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

decisions wrote: »
    Your probably better off looking for work in the city, only problem is more people will be applying for the jobs so you will need to sell yourself more.

Due to health stuff and 6th year holiday I'm not able to work until August which is annoying because I'm going to need the cash. :( and I've nothing on my CV, I'm thinking of teaching myself ECDL then paying for the tests just so I have something.

Anyone got any idea of good, short courses I could do or start after the leaving?

Look, if it were me, I really wouldn't bother with the ECDL. If you really want some official computer certification, I would go with the CompTIA A+. But even that is pretty ho hum. In regards computers, it would be more impressive to write on a CV "I'm teaching myself to write Java/C#/C++" than it would to be qualified in what these certs warrant. Even if the job your applying for won't entail writing any code (and it probably won't, damn auditors), saying that you're learning a programming language shows a certain level of competency with computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

In other news a pigeon just flew into my window. Nearly gave me a heart attack.

Hahaha that's happened to me in Chemistry class before. There was a crow shaped imprint on the window for ages! Nearly burst myself laughing :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Look, if it were me, I really wouldn't bother with the ECDL. If you really want some official computer certification, I would go with the CompTIA A+. But even that is pretty ho hum. In regards computers, it would be more impressive to write on a CV "I'm teaching myself to write Java/C#/C++" than it would to be qualified in what these certs warrant. Even if the job your applying for won't entail writing any code (and it probably won't, damn auditors), saying that you're learning a programming language shows a certain level of competency with computers.

I briefly went looking for a job at the end of last year doing anything even remotely computer related and every single firm asked did I have or was I doing ECDL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I briefly went looking for a job at the end of last year doing anything even remotely computer related and every single firm asked did I have or was I doing ECDL.

That's ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

How do you get ECDL like do you buy it on the Internet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

How do you get ECDL like do you buy it on the Internet? :)

It's quite expensive actually. We were lucky enough to get it in our school for a discount of €50. Next term I'll be doing something in Microsoft that costs hundreds outside of school but we are getting it for €15. Our teacher said it's basically like having a Masters in all things Microsoft. :p

On the topic of jobs. I've been working in a shop for about 2 years now? Trying to balance the LC with work hasn't been too bad. My employer is extremely reasonable (I only work Sundays during school weeks) and I had 2 weeks off before the mocks to study. I'm one of the lucky ones. All my friends are looking for jobs even ones who are doing the LC. A few of us are after booking accommodation for next year, the prices are scary. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

I like the idea of having lots of money to buy whatever I want but I don't really want to work for it.
    Pretty sure I'll be able to get a job next summer where my mum works though.
    Dying with a cold right now :(

Methememb wrote: »
    That's ridiculous.

To be fair half of them were data entry jobs, but yeh it was a bit. Then I looked into the cost of the course and decided I'd be better off just buying a book and just pay for the tests. Never did it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

To be fair half of them were data entry jobs, but yeh it was a bit. Then I looked into the cost of the course and decided I'd be better off just buying a book and just pay for the tests. Never did it tho.

The ECDL is useless in my opinion. :P We did it with the school, and we all passed it. All it's basically about is Microsoft Word and some basics of that.. It was also taught horribly by the teachers. When someone did a test, the teacher sat beside you with the answers and gave you the answers so you couldn't fail. (I won't complain about it!) :pac:

But yeah, even if I learned the course properly, I don't think I would have learned much new things as they are pretty basic. Also, my uncle works with a big computer company and thinks the ECDL is the biggest load of crap. :P I suppose it's good to have on your CV, but just to lengthen it out to be honest. :pac:

• Advertisement

It is very basic and probably a total waste of time, but as I have nothing whatsoever on my CV at the moment and with the experience of last year I'm kinda thinking I may as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Showcasing your ECDL qualification to an employer is like marrying a woman you have never met. you both realize it doesn't mean a thing but you go long with the farce anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I can't remember most of the things I learned from ECDL (did it in 4th year) even though I'm quite good with computers!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Colm I just watched you vs the poets, thank you thank you thank you for making that point about Plath on drugs. My English teacher flat out refused to even consider this as a possibility. But I knew I was right, thank you for that :P

Colm I just watched you vs the poets, thank you thank you thank you for making that point about Plath on drugs. My English teacher flat out refused to even consider this as a possibility. But I knew I was right, thank you for that :P

Link? :D

Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Hahahaha project maths is like fixing a broken tv with a sledgehammer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kenbob

DAMN YOU THE RICH PEOPLE!

• Advertisement

Colm you're a bit of a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

1BBApvL.png
    Colm! wrote:
    So... I'm famous on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

oh ****! I only realised now that I've an Irish oral on Monday! 20 sraithpictúirí here I come! :O

Colm! you were just compared to Des Bishop...

...you can decide for yourself if that's a compliment :pac:

IRC later anyone? I'l probably be interwebbing anyway if anyone decides to join me.

What's wrong with having the bants here?

What's wrong with having the bants here?
    Not a thing. IRC's just quicker I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channel=#lc2013

G'wan lads. Ye know ye want to.

I'm in anyway but my wifi is dodgy tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 DonallFitz

I would love to, but I'd be lost for words, talking to such an intellectual as yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement