Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Maynooth line timetable now online for consultation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not sure we can do much better. Clearly any extra capacity in Connolly will be for DART and Northern line through-put, I think the few additional services to/from Maynooth at peak time will help things a bit, because outside of that the service has plenty of room on it.

I'd like to see more frequency at weekends rather than just once per hour. Dublin City Centre is only going to get worse for the private car from here on out, so they might as well begin to encourage off-peak rail travel as soon as. If last Thursday night and Saturday are anything to go by, there will be gridlock for the entire Christmas leisure season in the City Centre from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Youre not wrong about the gridlock. Same again tonight . bumper to bumper on the navan road tonight and its not even December yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

thomasj wrote: »
    Youre not wrong about the gridlock. Same again tonight . bumper to bumper on the navan road tonight and its not even December yet!

That's due to idiot protestors on the bridge over the n3 at the first shopping centre exit. Second time in a month. They were there over 3hours

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That doesn't explain the traffic jams every other evening starting at the Auburn Road junction that have been there every evening for the past month. Have they changed the sequence of the lights on the roundabout or something, because it's definitely gotten a lot worse.

Zaph wrote: »
    That doesn't explain the traffic jams every other evening starting at the Auburn Road junction that have been there every evening for the past month. Have they changed the sequence of the lights on the roundabout or something, because it's definitely gotten a lot worse.

There were works further out and shopping centre traffic has increased massively. Lots of people cutting through Blanch village too as the queue is now regularly back to the N3.

I generally come home by Cappagh and Ballycoolin now to avoid the stress in and around the N3.

Sorry, all that is totally off topic. Two weeks ago I got the train to work for the first time in years, it was the morning of the m50 fatality and after 50 minutes I hadn't reached the m50 junction so doubled back at the hospital, went home and parked and trekked 20 minutes down the road to the station. Missed a train by seconds and had to wait almost half an hour, at 9am ish. That's ridiculous. With flexitime that's still peak commuter time. Short train too, and on the journey home. Was glad to get back to my car the next day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

athtrasna wrote: »
    ...Sorry, all that is totally off topic. Two weeks ago I got the train to work for the first time in years, ....Missed a train by seconds and had to wait almost half an hour, at 9am ish. ....

I'm all for a good rant. But in fairness...

Theres a train at 08:53, 9.02, 09:23, 09:32 into either Connolly or the Docklands in 20~30 mins. Considering you'd spent 50 min going nowhere in the car. Granted you'll normally be standing, and it can get uncomfortably packed at times. But the train would seem to a much better option.

You could have cycled into town in 30 mins.

Zaph wrote: »

Traffic everywhere is worse. Its the time of year, more seasonal workers, bad weather, more people back at work. Driving standards are worse, more accidents. No one obeying road markings, junctions. I imagine in the weeks before xmas, grid lock will be the norm for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

beauf wrote: »
    Traffic everywhere is worse. Its the time of year, more seasonal workers, bad weather, more people back at work. Driving standards are worse, more accidents. No one obeying road markings, junctions. I imagine in the weeks before xmas, grid lock will be the norm for a few weeks.
    Thank f**k I work 700mtrs from my gaf !

I'm all for a good rant. But in fairness...

Theres a train at 08:53, 9.02, 09:23, 09:32 into either Connolly or the Docklands in 20~30 mins. Considering you'd spent 50 min going nowhere in the car. Granted you'll normally be standing, and it can get uncomfortably packed at times. But the train would seem to a much better option.

You could have cycled into town in 30 mins.
    Missed the 9.02, Docklands too far from work and got the 9.32. Cycling not an option for me for a number of reasons. I did the train for a year when I moved out here first but the car works better for work and other commitments.

The docklands gets you in town in half the time than the Connolly train It's only 10 mins walk to Connolly and get a dart. Or Dublin bike etc.

I think people who drive all the time are very unaware how to mix transport modes. True that only comes with practice and being prepared for it.

The car is the only option for many journeys no one is denying that. It's just not as bleak on the trains as you're painting. On that day at that time.

• Advertisement

I find traffic much worse in the last month than it normally would be. But I think there are far more accidents now. On my route they seem to have road works every 4 months or so. Near my office in the past 12 months they closed the same road about 5 months of that time. Often the road is closed or dug up for weeks and no one working on it at all. That seems fairly common.

Guys the new maynooth line timetable is now online for consultation with a feedback link there. Please provide feedback on the page provided as we can do with better than this, especially as our roads are getting worse now the demand is going to increase for rail.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/public-consultation-for-2016-dart-and-connolly-intercity-and-commuter-services

I actually don't know what to suggest. Stop using intercity trains which are much less suited to large numbers standing. Increase the train length. Put a siding in maynooth or closer to increase frequency?

Connolly cant take it, and people won't walk from the docklands. So I dunno.

Connolly cant take it, and people won't walk from the docklands. So I dunno.

Walking from Docklands isn't always an option..it depends on where you're going on the other side. My office is a trek from Pearse...walking or bussing it from Docklands would take a lot longer than driving in.

The surprising thing about my journey last week was no delay outside Connolly or Drumcondra. These were almost everyday occurrences when I was on the train for a year, so there has been some improvement, either that or I got lucky. The trains are at least one carriage shorter than they used to be though

...My office is a trek from Pearse...walking or bussing it from Docklands would take a lot longer than driving in....

I was making a general point about the line in general not your commute. People think Docklands is no where near Connolly. But its a 10 min walk. It doesn't get caught by the frequent delays into Connolly and has one less stop. Docklands is only only 17mins walk from Pearse, or 7 min cycle. About the same to Tara Street. Incidentally. City centre is only 30~35 min cycle from Castleknock station. Longer home as its uphill. I know well its not doable for everyone. I haven't done it myself for months for various reason. And Yes many people need to drive. We know. But the alternatives are worth considering, at least. The best way to avoid traffic is not be traffic.

But this is a thread about suggestions for the trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Walking from Docklands isn't always an option..it depends on where you're going on the other side. My office is a trek from Pearse...walking or bussing it from Docklands would take a lot longer than driving in.

The surprising thing about my journey last week was no delay outside Connolly or Drumcondra. These were almost everyday occurrences when I was on the train for a year, so there has been some improvement, either that or I got lucky. The trains are at least one carriage shorter than they used to be though

Unless you are referring to the intercity trains, or the previous instances of getting the train were a long time ago, the trains are either the same length now, or 4 cars shorter - the commuter trains currently in use on the Maynooth line (29000 class) come in 4 car sets, so we get 4 or 8 car trains. Intercity come in more "varieties", from 3 to maybe 7, but 'd be surprised to see the latter length on the line to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

A lot of extra capacity being put onto the DART and norther commuter line and nothing extra for the Maynooth line. The extra capacity added through Tara street has all gone to the other lines so Maynooth and D15 commuters are still very restricted in their commuting options. Really disappointing as for years we were told Maynooth line trains would start going to Pearse once the capacity was increased through Tara - Until there is a regular service a lot of people will never give up driving. An hour gap off peak and 30 minutes at peak times is not a commuter service. Meanwhile there will be half empty DARTs running every 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I really wish they'd add services earlier on Sunday mornings. Out here, the first choice on Sunday mornings is a 0945 train or a 1005 bus, neither of which helps if you need to be in town before 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The only long term solution is DART underground and that was recently cancelled (or as good as) by the present government. (Greater) Dublin needs its own elected Mayor with revenue raising powers. Until that happens the gimps in the Dail will continue to just use Dublin generated wealth to buy elections for themselves everywhere else in the country.

It really sums it up that the fastest route from blanchardstown to the city, the phoenix park, and public transport isn't allowed to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

It really sums it up that the fastest route from blanchardstown to the city, the phoenix park, and public transport isn't allowed to use it.

I've heard this suggested, but isn't the problem access on the Blanch side? Low capacity roads frequently congested. If you take the 39a and route it through the park, I assume this would be the route, and without dedicated bus lanes and stuff, I can see it being very slow to get to the park.

sYEnGrc.png

There's also the argument that the population along the Navan Rd needs to be served, and honestly they could easily be up to about half the load on a 39a at peak times, so is it profitable to run a bus that only serves D15?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

MrMorooka wrote: »
    I've heard this suggested, but isn't the problem access on the Blanch side? Low capacity roads frequently congested. If you take the 39a and route it through the park, I assume this would be the route, and without dedicated bus lanes and stuff, I can see it being very slow to get to the park.

sYEnGrc.png

There's also the argument that the population along the Navan Rd needs to be served, and honestly they could easily be up to about half the load on a 39a at peak times, so is it profitable to run a bus that only serves D15?

Come down the Navan Road to the Halfway House and make the Ashtown Gate bus only.

Increase frequency on the 122 to serve Navan Road.

Because all the roads around the park are congested. And city centre and d.15 also. I'd argue it will never be faster than the train at peak times.

I'd say an electric bike would probably be on a par.

well starting off the target should be to get people from blanchardstown to the city quicker in the rush hours. At the moment, motorists have the advantage because, dare i say, the phoenix park is faster than the nightmare that is old cabra road/manor street mornings and navan road evening.

there should be, at least, a few Xpressos that run direct to the city via the park as 39X and keep the 39A as it is. At least then there is also continguency plans in the event of something going wrong on the stretch of M50 roundabout right upto manor street, which lets be honest have being screwing up journey times for the last few weeks.

Something needs to be done.

Because all the roads around the park are congested. And city centre and d.15 also. I'd argue it will never be faster than the train at peak times.

I'd say an electric bike would probably be on a par.

nothing wrong with the bus taking the current 39A route to Ashtown Gate.

If you are near the 39a. Sure. They tried a shuttle bus in the park years ago. It didn't work because of the congestion at all the exits and cross roads. I say it would be hard to get bus only exits agreed. Or even the OPW to agree to allow buses at all. It would seem they would prefer no commuting traffic at all through the park. Off peak to the 3 arena is about 20mins via the M50-tunnel. So maybe an express bus to there would be an option. Brings you right to Luas or Dublin bikes. Or just walk from there.

My issue with the draft timetable is that the 8.12am from Clonsilla is moving five minutes later. It only just gets me in for 9am at the moment but if it moves any later I can't rely on it. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I would hope, if this goes ahead, that they would increase capacity on the earlier train to Connolly but I won't hold my breath...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

The Phoenix Park seems like a great idea for a bus route until you consider the realities and logistics of it - today, for instance, because of a fender bender at the junction with the bridge at Heuston, the entire park was backed up to the roundabout nearest Castleknock. I sailed past it on a bike, but a bus wouldn't have gotten even near the Aras by the time I had cleared it, and I wouldn't be surprised if buses were actually faster today. Couple this with the lack of space for a bus lane (the hard shoulder is not wide enough in a lot of or even most places IMHO to be converted directly, and tearing up the park, paths, etc. to put in a bus lane would be the ruination of a green space), and the park becomes less suitable by the minute.

People have mentioned the Ashtown Gate, so maybe the intention is to go via the zoo, etc. rather than heading back towards Castleknock and running basically the length of Chesterfield Avenue, but this route is the least suitable to trying to prioritise buses, etc. via lanes, due to even more restricted space.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

A little OT I know, but lets hope they never consider using the park. IMO it should be closed to through traffic completely, though I know I'd probably be in the minority there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Flying Fox wrote: »
    My issue with the draft timetable is that the 8.12am from Clonsilla is moving five minutes later. It only just gets me in for 9am at the moment but if it moves any later I can't rely on it. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I would hope, if this goes ahead, that they would increase capacity on the earlier train to Connolly but I won't hold my breath...

8.06 Coolmine to Connolly is already sardine city so I would bet on a fight breaking out rather quickly, no breathing room on it at all and dangerously over loaded with passengers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement