Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Paddico wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I should start a new thread of 'Who should I vote for'

While I know the candidates, I'm not aware of the work that any put in behind the scenes and obviously I want to vote for the man who will do best for Tipperary on every front. So to hear the pros and cons I will start with my question here which simple says .

Who do you think I should vote for?
    I wont be much good to you with my opinion so,I would prefer somebody who does it for the country rather than someone who just concentrates on strokes for his own personal employment at the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

Paddico wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I should start a new thread of 'Who should I vote for'

While I know the candidates, I'm not aware of the work that any put in behind the scenes and obviously I want to vote for the man who will do best for Tipperary on every front. So to hear the pros and cons I will start with my question here which simple says .

Who do you think I should vote for?

And here come the 600 pages of political zombies arguing with each other as to why their party/candidate are best and the rest are the spawn of Satan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Mattie again!

INDEPENDENT TD MATTIE McGrath is NOT happy about junior minister Áodhan Ó Ríordáin’s tweeting in recent days.

McGrath took issue with the equality minister’s tweeting about pro-life campaigners yesterday as Ó Ríordáin got into a Twitter row with independent senator Rónán Mullen.

This afternoon the Tipperary South deputy took to the Dáil to raise his concerns during the Order of Business:

There is an old adage there that if there’s too many tweets the person, the tweeter, becomes a twat. Are we going to have government by tweets? Minister Ó Ríordáin is tweeting about unsavoury issues and insulting GPs and insulting pro-life people.

His mic was cut off by the Ceann Comhairle before McGrath appealed for a response from the Taoiseach in relation to the Broadcasting Amendment Bill. He then added:

We have to regulate these twatters.

Enda Kenny briefly informed McGrath that the legislation in question is due later in the year.

“And you can tweet that,” he added.

‘Reign in’

In a statement issued this afternoon, McGrath called on Kenny to “rein in ministers” over their Twitter use, saying they are using the social media platform to “deliver offensive and dismissive messages to sections of the community”.

In addition to Ó Ríordáin, McGrath also cited Leo Varadkar’s sharp exchanges with GPs over the weekend in relation to free care for under-6s. He said:

Social media is an excellent tool for communicating about ideas and events; but when it is being increasingly used by Senior Ministers to communicate vitriolic and patronising messages then questions need to be asked.

He added: “These are senior people in our government that we are talking about, not petulant adolescents. However, that distinction is becoming increasingly difficult to make in light of the recent social media activity of both ministers.

We do not want a situation where the cautionary advice of ‘too many tweets maketh a twat’ is ignored.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

Michael Smith jnr. has been selected as the 2nd Fianna Fail candidate for Tipperary according to his fb page.

maudgone wrote: »
    Michael Smith jnr. has been selected as the 2nd Fianna Fail candidate for Tipperary according to his fb page.
    I presume he will be getting the whip back so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

Have to say I was expecting this and delighted. Messers Coonan and Kelly wont be too happy now.
    Also standing Cllr Ambrose for ff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Nenagh Councillor Seamie Morris is standing for SF, sorry if anyone's already posted this

jem wrote: »
    Have to say I was expecting this and delighted. Messers Coonan and Kelly wont be too happy now.
    Also standing Cllr Ambrose for ff
    Coonan is a goner imo and this is going to make things very dodgy for Kelly,not sure if 3 candidates is the right strategy for FF though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PearlJ

So what are the predictions now?

I wonder will Morris have enough of a profile in the south to secure a vote, but certainly is the best candidate for the party in Tipp, well respected and liked, unlike his party colleagues in the South of the County.

Mick Smith's nod puts serious pressure on Coonan and Kelly and Kelly may have burned enough bridges in Tipp to not get through.

I think its in the South where its wide open. Very difficult to predict. Mattie has tied up the older conservative vote with his stance on same sex marraige but is it enough? Has Hayes done enough to secure re-election?
    Healy is a good man and a fine politician but may get lost in the jungle of Independants and as well as that his vote is mainly confined to Clonmel.

At this stage the only one I would put money on is Lowry. Though I think Jackie Cahill could be the one to watch, he could take a lot of the farming vote that Hayes might have relied on.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

Lowry,
    Mattie,
    Seamus Healy,
    Smith,
    and Coonan just to scrape in ahead of Kelly and Hayes, although I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly makes it either.

• Advertisement

maudgone wrote: »
    Lowry,
    Mattie,
    Seamus Healy,
    Smith,
    and Coonan just to scrape in ahead of Kelly and Hayes, although I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly makes it either.
    Cant for the life of me see Coonan getting in ahead of Hayes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Know it's off topic but.....
    Just watching the news there and see pramerica announcing 1200 new jobs in Donegal. I don't begrudge the 'donegalians' the jobs but does anyone else get the feeling that bar the big cities the rest of Ireland -rural- is basically being ignored. We've heard the argument before that the "high end" employers like to be close to each other(Facebook, Google, etc...) well Donegal couldn't be further away IMHO.

I hope ye all remind our bozos when they come a knocking over the next 12 months.

Places like Carrick and tipp town are complete unemployment black spots.

It seems that Alan Kelly's brother has a good relationship with Hilary Clinton, see photo in Irish Times

Irish Times July 24th. 2015

I was intrigued last week to read the latest chapter in the seemingly irrepressible rise of former Irish Examiner journalist Declan Kelly, whose US-based Teneo consultancy has just been hired by Fifa to advise on crisis communications at football’s world governing body.
    Fifa, of course, is mired in a corruption scandal. A few days after Teneo’s appointment was announced, a comedian punked Fifa’s Sepp Blatter at a press conference, showering the outgoing president with a wad of fake notes. Kelly will earn his corn advising that bunch on how to handle a crisis, that’s for sure.
    The Tipperary man, whose brother Alan is the environment minister, is well-known for his abundant confidence and self-belief, and he appears to have big plans for Teneo, which was once closely linked to the Clintons.
    The company, whose current advisors include former US senator George Mitchell, is targeting this side of the Atlantic for much of its future growth. Earlier this month Kelly also sealed a deal to buy two major London public relations consultancies, almost doubling its workforce to about 500.
    Blue Rubicon, which also has offices in Doha, Dubai and Singapore, will add about 225 staff to Kelly’s roster, while StockWell adds a further 25.
    The acquisitions have immediately catapulted Teneo onto the top table of London PR firms. The Irishman will presumably mine his network of high- profile contacts to help keep it there.
    It really is a long way from Tipperary.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    It seems that Alan Kelly's brother has a good relationship with Hilary Clinton, see photo in Irish Times

Irish Times July 24th. 2015

I was intrigued last week to read the latest chapter in the seemingly irrepressible rise of former Irish Examiner journalist Declan Kelly, whose US-based Teneo consultancy has just been hired by Fifa to advise on crisis communications at football’s world governing body.
    Fifa, of course, is mired in a corruption scandal. A few days after Teneo’s appointment was announced, a comedian punked Fifa’s Sepp Blatter at a press conference, showering the outgoing president with a wad of fake notes. Kelly will earn his corn advising that bunch on how to handle a crisis, that’s for sure.
    The Tipperary man, whose brother Alan is the environment minister, is well-known for his abundant confidence and self-belief, and he appears to have big plans for Teneo, which was once closely linked to the Clintons.
    The company, whose current advisors include former US senator George Mitchell, is targeting this side of the Atlantic for much of its future growth. Earlier this month Kelly also sealed a deal to buy two major London public relations consultancies, almost doubling its workforce to about 500.
    Blue Rubicon, which also has offices in Doha, Dubai and Singapore, will add about 225 staff to Kelly’s roster, while StockWell adds a further 25.
    The acquisitions have immediately catapulted Teneo onto the top table of London PR firms. The Irishman will presumably mine his network of high- profile contacts to help keep it there.
    It really is a long way from Tipperary.
    Was there not some scandal with that company that Hilary Clinton was eager to distance her self from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭jprboy

tipptom wrote: »
    Was there not some scandal with that company that Hilary Clinton was eager to distance her self from them?

http://www.thejournal.ie/teneo-holdings-hillary-clinton-huma-abedin-2045523-Apr2015/

Sunday Business Post..................Sunday 26th.July (front page)

Kelly doled out grants to Tipp constituency against expert advice.

Funding for walking cycyling routes.

Thurles € 500k
    Clonmel €1,000.000

A lot of towns higher up on the scoring order were over looked

Guess we will not hear too many complaints from opposition TD's in the constituency.

Clonmel has been overlooked for many years no Minister here with any clout since 1957.

Come on Mattie you must tell him that this is a resigning matter.

Kelly has learned the small lesson in geography that...................Clonmel has a population of more than Thurles and Nenagh combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Come on Mattie you must tell him that this is a resigning matter.

Are you serious?

While Kelly's 'constituency colleagues' might resent the stroke pulled, It'd be political suicide to critisise spending money in the county.

digzy wrote: »
    Are you serious?

While Kelly's 'constituency colleagues' might resent the stroke pulled, It'd be political suicide to critisise spending money in the county.

Of course I am not serious, but this is the silly season for politicians. Just wondering what Mattie can do for publicity.......he can hardly hold out starving for two months...........?

Sunday Business Post..................Sunday 26th.July (front page)

Kelly doled out grants to Tipp constituency against expert advice.

Funding for walking cycyling routes.

Thurles € 500k
    Clonmel €1,000.000

A good reason why Kelly should get your Number One

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PearlJ

Xenophile I can't understand why you are so pro Kelly, to the extent of shoving it down people's throats.

You obviously don't know the man personally. Anyone who has had any dealings with him has lived to rue the day.
    He has threatened schools over funding if he does not officiate over openings, he steals announcements and claims them as his own and has burnt many bridges in Clonmel over his treatment of volunteers at the bus station cafe.

He has threatened the jobs of journalists, he is a ruthless, arrogant bully.

• Advertisement

Gets popcorn.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

ya cause what Ireland needs is parish pump ministers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭cannotcope

why don't you give him your number one instead of telling others what to do? you are great at telling others to go see him about this and that. Are you afraid to and you want someone else to try to put what you would like to see happen in motion? you afraid to speak out what you feel so you put it on a website hoping someone else will?

Kelly isn't popular in South Tipp. Even the Labour party members dislike him down south. I've said up to now that I think he will lose his seat. My gut still trends that way but I think Fianna Fail have shot themselves in the foot running three candidates. It divides their vote and exposes the bitter internal battle they had with Smith Jr throwing his toys out of the pram until he got added as a third candidate. By all accounts it has totally fragmented the party and I now think they won't be able to pull the vote together to take a seat. So Kelly was briefly back in contention to somehow hold the last seat probably without reaching the quota and basically being the last man standing. BUT just as he probably smiled over his wheetabix reading about Fianna Fail in turmoil along came the Social Democrats. I don't think they will take a seat but with the right candidate they might take enough votes from Kelly to stop him taking a seat which may be just as satisfying to Shorthall.

I think the battle for the fifth seat in Tipperary could be a very entertaining one.

PearlJ wrote: »
    So what are the predictions now?

I wonder will Morris have enough of a profile in the south to secure a vote, but certainly is the best candidate for the party in Tipp, well respected and liked, unlike his party colleagues in the South of the County.

Mick Smith's nod puts serious pressure on Coonan and Kelly and Kelly may have burned enough bridges in Tipp to not get through.

I think its in the South where its wide open. Very difficult to predict. Mattie has tied up the older conservative vote with his stance on same sex marraige but is it enough? Has Hayes done enough to secure re-election?
    Healy is a good man and a fine politician but may get lost in the jungle of Independants and as well as that his vote is mainly confined to Clonmel.

At this stage the only one I would put money on is Lowry. Though I think Jackie Cahill could be the one to watch, he could take a lot of the farming vote that Hayes might have relied on.

Lowry (independent but basically taking a FG seat).
    Mattie (independent but basically taking a FF seat)
    Hayes FG (Coonan is behind given that Hayes is the Junior Minister and Lowry is eating into the Northern FG vote).
    Healy/SF (there is a hard left seat and SF needed a big name to be sure of taking the seat and didn't find one. But they did select a candidate from the North which will stand to them as this has the larger population).
    HUGE battle for the last seat. Impossible to call at the moment. Kelly, Coonan, Ambrose, Cahill, Smith Jr the loser between Healy v SF. It will be down to the last one standing when the others are eliminated. If I had to call it I'd say the farmer vote might just see Cahill hang in the longest but this might be one of the more entertaining & nailbiting counts.

Actually thinkig about it am I right in saying Ambrose is the only Female candidate on the ballot paper so far? That might tip a few more second preferences her way from female voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The whole Tipperary constituency thing is a joke at this stage. All of lower Ormond(12,000) voters have been moved out of Tipp and into the Offaly constituency. Its like the Gaza strip up there right now. There are groups being formed to picket the polling stations and burn their polling cards.

The whole Tipperary constituency thing is a joke at this stage. All of lower Ormond(12,000) voters have been moved out of Tipp and into the Offaly constituency. Its like the Gaza strip up there right now. There are groups being formed to picket the polling stations and burn their polling cards.

The Electorate Commission was formed many years ago and is an Independent Body. I have never heard of it being referred to as anything other than Independent by any Government, Minister or TD.

I just wonder how many of the electorate who intend to burn their ballot papers made submissions to it, as the Commission invite all the electorate to make submissions to it, before every constituency review.

http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/population/populationofeachprovincecountyandcity2011/

Population by census

North Tipperary
    35,340 males
    34,982 females
    70,322 Total

South Tipperary
    44,244 males
    44,188 females
    88,432 Total

As you can see at the time of that census Tipperary South's population was larger by about 25%.

A free coffee (on me) in the Obama Plaza for all who get the result correct by name in the order in which they are elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

A free coffee (on me) in the Obama Plaza for all who get the result correct by name in the order in which they are elected.

A free coffee in the Obama Plaza ?
    The one in County Offaly ?

Xenophile, I understood that you were a Tipperary businessman but you seem to want to send your custom to Offaly.:confused::confused:

Advertisement