Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Selhurst wrote: »
    Hello I wonder what's the difference between
    3 Plus and 2 plus
    Or is their a 2 plus box.
    I Though I saw a 2 plus on line some where.

The 3 plus has 3 tuners wheras the 2 plus only has 2 ,it doesnt have the hybrid cable/terrestrial tuner .
    Its 2 satellite tuners only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Selhurst

Zardoz wrote: »
    The 3 plus has 3 tuners wheras the 2 plus only has 2 ,it doesnt have the hybrid cable/terrestrial tuner .
    Its 2 satellite tuners only.

Thanks for the info Zardoz
    And the quick reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 el madrigal

I'm struggling to resize the menus on screen. It looks as though the menus are stretched beyond the limits of the screen but it's set up as 16:9. Anyone know how to refit the image on screen?

Box bar setting up issues and no manual is impressive. Incredibly quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I'm struggling to resize the menus on screen. It looks as though the menus are stretched beyond the limits of the screen but it's set up as 16:9. Anyone know how to refit the image on screen?

Box bar setting up issues and no manual is impressive. Incredibly quick

Think it is under setup/extended settings/osd settings, or something like that. You should be able to adjust it here.

cheers, sorted it today. still trying to figure out a lot. never set something up like this before so serious fiddling around in the dark on it. i'm missing a key part of the menu to what i expected and its doing my nut in

• Advertisement

still tinkering but so far so good. Go the saorview antenna up and connected yesterday, must be a bit off as a couple of the channels are a bit jittery, will have to get back on the roof again for a bit of fine tuning. Have run the automatic software updater a couple of times which doesn't seem to have caused any ill affects (this seems to be an issue with other boxes).

Should have the internal hard drive here tomorrow so will be able to get it set up properly.

Did record a program or two onto a usb drive and set a couple of reminders which all went without a hitch.

All in all I am happy with the way it is going.

Any must have plugins etc that anybody recommends?

THE ALM wrote: »
    still tinkering but so far so good. Go the saorview antenna up and connected yesterday, must be a bit off as a couple of the channels are a bit jittery, will have to get back on the roof again for a bit of fine tuning. Have run the automatic software updater a couple of times which doesn't seem to have caused any ill affects (this seems to be an issue with other boxes).

Should have the internal hard drive here tomorrow so will be able to get it set up properly.

Did record a program or two onto a usb drive and set a couple of reminders which all went without a hitch.

All in all I am happy with the way it is going.

Any must have plugins etc that anybody recommends?

Planning on putting a few in this week. Reskinned it a few times but I can't seem to reskin the main epg so that's next on the list. Installed an old laptop hard drive last week and working like a dream.

Tried a few different skins and will probably try a few more, should just pick one I guess and stick with it although I do love a tinker. Installed a WD Blue 1tb drive, initialised it and that was job down.

Have set record and timeshift to the hard drive and store the epg on a usb plugged in to the back.

Looking for a way to create a .mvi file for a new bootlogo but cannot find a way of doing it, other than that the Optimus OS3+ is highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Guys,

I currently have Sky and an Android media box which streams online content and local content from a NAS over Wifi. When my Sky contract ends I'm thinking of switching to this box and was interested to read about "KODI direct". Does that mean I could possibly have my TV channels and KODI for streaming content all on this one box? How well does KODI work on the box? I assume I'd have to add a WiFi dongle to the box to get KODI/Streaming working but that should be easy enough to do.

Would appreciate user feedback on their KODI direct experience with this box.

Cheers.

BenEadir wrote: »
    Guys,

I currently have Sky and an Android media box which streams online content and local content from a NAS over Wifi. When my Sky contract ends I'm thinking of switching to this box and was interested to read about "KODI direct". Does that mean I could possibly have my TV channels and KODI for streaming content all on this one box? How well does KODI work on the box? I assume I'd have to add a WiFi dongle to the box to get KODI/Streaming working but that should be easy enough to do.

Would appreciate user feedback on their KODI direct experience with this box.

Cheers.

Should be all do-able. Have tried the kodi direct with a wifi dongle and found that it was a bit jittery so will probably run it through some powerline adapters. YNWA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

Can this Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus do multi room or do you have to get more box's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I have done up a pretty decent image for this box ,

If you have a HD installed use this dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zpsl2sj51bp6p6r/AABeMEoASqsVF0SnawJvt45ua?dl=0

If you don't have a HD installed then use this link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f65r8q36hus46ds/AAAnso6yHyjZ0YGjlpK09aK-a?dl=0

This box is a lot more simple to update , than a SAB or Amiko Triple
    1. Download the File from the DB link
    2. Put the update folder onto the root of the stick
    3. Power the box off and plug in the USB
    4. The Box will detect the new FW , to load it onto the box press the Channel - button on the front of the box , I think you have 10-15 seconds to load this or it will just boot as normal
    5. When its done , it will tell you to remove the USB stick and boot up again

I have made up these images for freetv.ie so their logo is in the boot logo but that can be easily changed by converting an image into a MVI and calling it bootlogo , FTP into the box and replace the bootlogo file in USR / Share

Expecting delivery of one of these boxes before the weekend, are these images free for anybody to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Here's an overview of the box I found on You Tube.

alais no9 - don't think there will be a problem using those images, there is also a link to one on the freetv.ie website.

murpho999 - there should be a few good youtube clips from tvtrade on youtube and on the freetv.ie website about using and setting up the box.

Anybody with this box should avoid the latest software update as you will loose the saoirview combi tuner, seems to be an issue that has been flagged on the openatv website. Pity I didn't know before updating mine.

alais no9 - don't think there will be a problem using those images, there is also a link to one on the freetv.ie website.

murpho999 - there should be a few good youtube clips from tvtrade on youtube and on the freetv.ie website about using and setting up the box.

Anybody with this box should avoid the latest software update as you will loose the saoirview combi tuner, seems to be an issue that has been flagged on the openatv website. Pity I didn't know before updating mine.

A fix for anyone with the tuner problem:-
    http://www.opena.tv/edision-optimuss-os3-plus/14226-dvb-t2-tuner-fehlt-nach-aktueller-usb-image-installation.html

Just extract the file and ftp it up to the proper folder and all should be back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Can't get this box to connect via hdmi with my ageing Sony Bravia TV, it gives an out of range error on one port and nothing at all on the other. The box is working and I can get it to link to the TV via RCA cables. I've tried working through the resolution settings, limiting it to 720p 50Hz and lower but so far nothing is working. Any suggstions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'm subscribing to this thread. I currently have a AA2+ which is working very well,but the extra performance of this box may persuade me to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

freetv.ie states "It does not have an RF out i.e. it is not possible to run the picture to an additional room ", but the quick user guide shows an rf out. Am I missing something? . http://www.freetv.ie/index.php?dispatch=attachments.getfile&attachment_id=441

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Kalyke wrote: »
    freetv.ie states "It does not have an RF out i.e. it is not possible to run the picture to an additional room ", but the quick user guide shows an rf out. Am I missing something? . http://www.freetv.ie/index.php?dispatch=attachments.getfile&attachment_id=441

The RF out may be a loop out for the terrestrial signal only but I could be wrong...in order to watch the box in another room you will need something like a triax tri-link.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

I just purchased one of these, actually the I got the OS2 plus. Now I have an amiko alien 2+ triple and an Edision Optimuss OS2 Plus.

There is no comparison at all. The amiko is a great box, don't get me wrong, but, the OS2 plus is so much better. Everything is smoother, the plugins just work and there is so much more choice.

I would recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Old Jim

Got one of these OS3 units. Still trying to figure it out but looks good so far. Bit of a steep learning curve with it and it came with no manual. anyone know how to go about getting all the saorview channels and the Freesat UK channels onto the one EPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Well fcuk ye any way, content ish with my amiko alien, now I'm feeling like spending €250 euro on a new box.
    Just one question, will it cook my breakfast in the morning!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

What images are available for this? Will be getting one soon most likely. I like my hyperion image on my alien 2. Wasn't a fan of open atv on the alien.

Old Jim wrote: »
    Got one of these OS3 units. Still trying to figure it out but looks good so far. Bit of a steep learning curve with it and it came with no manual. anyone know how to go about getting all the saorview channels and the Freesat UK channels onto the one EPG?

You can add whatever channels you like into one Bouquet, I have them all added to the Favourites. From memory, if you highlight the channel in the epg and hit the menu button it will give you an option to add the channel to a particular bouquet. Once they are added as you like then you can just set the epg to display the favourites.

An easier way would be to load up the webif on the computer/laptop and edit them from there. If you type the Optimus IP into your web browser it should bring up the webif page automatically as long as you have the webif plugin set up on the Optimus and that they are connected to the same network.

Hope this helps. At work and trying picture this from memory.

superg wrote: »
    What images are available for this? Will be getting one soon most likely. I like my hyperion image on my alien 2. Wasn't a fan of open atv on the alien.

Only the Openatv as far as I know, haven't found another image for it as yet and to be honest I don't fell the need to as Openatv runs very well on it.

I have read through the alien2 thread which seems to have various problems with different images and was part of the reason for going with the OS3 which has worked straight out of the box. I have run the Openatv auto update every evening since having this box and the only issue was when there was a problem picking up the saorview and that was rectified a few hours later.

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Well fcuk ye any way, content ish with my amiko alien, now I'm feeling like spending €250 euro on a new box.
    Just one question, will it cook my breakfast in the morning!!!!!

Go on, you know you are going to anyway.;)

Have a wdtvlive setup in another room which has a hard drive attached to it for watching movies and music etc, scanned the network with the OS3 which picked it up no problem and was able to stream the movies from it through the OS3 which might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Have a wdtvlive setup in another room which has a hard drive attached to it for watching movies and music etc, scanned the network with the OS3 which picked it up no problem and was able to stream the movies from it through the OS3 which might be of interest.

Does that mean if there is a NAS on the network the OS3 will stream the content a la XBMC? Will it play a wide range of file formats? Being able to stream from a NAS in even a basic folder/file type manner would be a Brucie Bonus.

BenEadir wrote: »
    Does that mean if there is a NAS on the network the OS3 will stream the content a la XBMC? Will it play a wide range of file formats? Being able to stream from a NAS in even a basic folder/file type manner would be a Brucie Bonus.

I would think this would be easily achievable and a NAS will be next up on the purchase list when funds allow, have too many hard drives, usb sticks etc laying around and will be nice to have it all on one box. There are numerous network options/protocols set up on the box so don't see a problem.

The wdtv was connected through wifi although I will maybe look to add powerline adapters. Streaming using kodi direct through wifi can be a bit stuttery and I general download and watch back then, the adapters would help out here also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

Old Jim wrote: »

Yeah, this should be pretty easy. If you press the up arrow on the remote and then hit the blue button (favourites) Scroll down to the saorview channel you want to move and hit menu. It should list a few different options, what you select is add to service. Then you just select whichever location you want the channel to be in.

If this isn't clear just let me know. It sounds more complicated than it actually is :)

Advertisement