Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How would you react to somebody 'starting on you' on a night out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

That's not really fair.

The lad said there was a few of them. They'd have knocked the bollox out of him for a laugh.

There's no point.

sorry , you dont understand me ,
    i was responding to the poster who said the thread was going to be full of internet warriors , i was replying to him , not the OP

fair play to the OP if thats what they wanted to do , i was pointing out what i would have done

does not make me a internet warrior -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

lahalane wrote: »
    What would you have done in a situation like that?

Glance behind with a look of disdain. Then carry on my merry way to my nice house, my nice car, my steak dinner and forget about him completely by the time i walk in the front door.

Not worth your time OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If he's the sort of tracksuited **** who hangs around clubs hitting people for a laugh he could very easily be the kind of tracksuited **** who carries a knife.

While beating the everloving ****e out of him is fully justifiable and I'd never think less of someone for doing it, just walking on and not bothering getting involved is probably your best bet.

Instead you can be safe in the knowledge that that little buzz the ****ebag gets will probably the the peak of his life, given that his life options are limited to being a junkie, going to prison, getting murdered or a mix of the three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

dj jarvis wrote: »
    sorry , you dont understand me ,
    i was responding to the poster who said the thread was going to be full of internet warriors , i was replying to him , not the OP

fair play to the OP if thats what they wanted to do , i was pointing out what i would have done

does not make me a internet warrior -

Fair enough.

Obviously if it's one fella you wouldn't walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

If you're able for giving them a taste of their own medicine and do so, good for you.

If you reckon it might be too risky to assault them back and you walk away, good for you also.

It's really dependent on certain factors and it's stupid to take on someone who could make sh1t of you or might be carrying a weapon. If you're able to give as good as you get, fair play, but not everyone is.

I was out one night with my friend and a guy just came over to him and started punching him in the head. My friend lost it, went after the guy and gave him a severe hiding (too much so) - luckily the guy was the same size as my friend and got the message. Had he been a bigger lad, my friend might have been in big trouble.

Know your battles - there's a difference between that and being cowardly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I would of broke his legs.

so you against him and hes mates and you would have broke his legs yea right.you'd either end up dead or eating your corn flakes through a tube.
    the op did the right, but ill grant you, the frustrating thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It's easier to heal a bruised ego than a bruised or broken body tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Someone being a loudmouth etc I would pass no remarks on but if someone hits out at me for no reason then yeah they will get one back, I was nutted years ago and had my nose broken in an unprovoked attack so I'm always on my guard on a night out ever since then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Kagawa10

I have Phil Mitchell on speed dial

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Someone being a loudmouth etc I would pass no remarks on but if someone hits out at me for no reason then yeah they will get one back, I was nutted years ago and had my nose broken in an unprovoked attack so I'm always on my guard on a night out ever since then.

but what if your on your own and he has 4 or 5 with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I was once punched in the face for no reason by another girl.

I was standing in a queue for a nightclub and this girl just punched me in the face.

Dazed, I was in so much shock I did nothing and I regretted it so much.
    I was just so upset and hurt I went home and tried to forget about it.

Fast forward two months later, I'm out shopping and as I'm loading my boot up, I glance across at the entrance to the shopping centre and I see the girl.

I could feel all my anger coming back from what she did to me, so I walked right up to her and landed her a swift one in the gob.

The look on her face, and from passers-by, was one I'll treasure forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

If you're able for giving them a taste of their own medicine and do so, good for you.

If you reckon it might be too risky to assault them back and you walk away, good for you also.

It's really dependent on certain factors and it's stupid (and not cowardly) to take on someone who could make sh1t of you or might be carrying a weapon. If you're able to give as good as you get, fair play, but not everyone is.

I was out one night with my friend and a guy just came over to him and started punching him in the head. My friend lost it, went after the guy and gave him a severe hiding (too much so) - luckily the guy was the same size as my friend and got the message. Had he been a bigger lad, my friend might not have been so lucky.

Know your battles.

true for ya , but sometimes you have to get involved

i saw 3 young lads getting beaten by a group of older lads outside a chipper , about 7 of them taking on 3 , so me and my buddy evened it up a bit , with the help of a plank from a pallet , and a scream from brave heart i evened it up alright , 5 ran like the little bully's they were , and then the 3 guy's that were been beaten up turned on the 2 that were left - poetic justice

i would have taken a few slaps if need be - i cant stand by and watch crap like that - maybe i will regret it one day - but so far any time i come across this situation , the scroates 99.99% of the time are cowardly little ****s

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd generally try to avoid confrontation unless it's definitely necessary to protect myself or someone else (protecting pride doesn't count). I reckon I would've done the same as the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'd walk off , take out all my piercings then casually walk back and ask which one hit me, say ok, then beat the shoite out of one of his mates, tell him he's next, you can guarantee they run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

KTRIC wrote: »
    I'd walk off , take out all my piercings then casually walk back and ask which one hit me, say ok, then beat the shoite out of one of his mates, tell him he's next, you can guarantee they run.

How many piercings have ya got? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have never been punched in a pub or nightclub:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I would have strangled them all with my bare hands.

Nah, you did the right thing.

I have never been punched in a pub or nightclub:(

How?

I don't know if you're from Dublin or not but it seems like a rite of passage here...from what I remember of my teenage years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

crazygeryy wrote: »
    but what if your on your own and he has 4 or 5 with him?

Obviously I'm not an idiot and won't take on 5 lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How?

I don't know if you're from Dublin or not but it seems like a rite of passage here...from what I remember of my teenage years anyway.

yeah got a smack once when i was 14 at a teenage disco

has not happened since

• Ok, back of the head leaving a nightclub I feel a tap:

In my mind, within a second:
    How strong a blow? Who's around me? How many? Large/small? Strong/lanky? Skanger/non-skanger? Freindly/Agressor/Neutral? Guard/Security available? Places to hide/climb? Well lit/dark area?

Turn to look at hitter, neutral expression.

Mind: Is he making another strike? How did he react to me turning? Has his full wits? Just him or mates? Mates (same as above from "large/small..../Neutral?")

Decision:

1.Look at hitter, say "seriously?", walk away, listening for approach at back.

Or

2. Prepare to defend self.

Ok, back of the head leaving a nightclub I feel a tap:

In my mind, within a second:
    How strong a blow? Who's around me? How many? Large/small? Strong/lanky? Skanger/non-skanger? Freindly/Agressor/Neutral? Guard/Security available? Places to hide/climb? Well lit/dark area?

Turn to look at hitter, neutral expression.

Mind: Is he making another strike? How did he react to me turning? Has his full wits? Just him or mates? Mates (same as above from "large/small..../Neutral?")

Decision:

1.Look at hitter, say "seriously?", walk away, listening for approach at back.

Or

2. Prepare to defend self.

Hello Mr Bourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Even though there were six of them in view, there was a load of those boy racer cars around that would probably have had friends of theirs in it. So taking them on would not have ended well for me in that situation.

To be honest, even if it was just him on his own I would have kept walking. I don't need that kind of **** in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

dj jarvis wrote: »
    so becasue the majority would allow someone to randomly slap them , the ones that would defend themselves , and have the balls to stand up to the little turds they are internet warriors

na buddy - you are just an internet pussy - i know what one i would rather be

someone hits me for no good reason , i will my best to make sure the ****er will think twice about it again

how does that make me a internet warrior ?

so are ya starting - are ya ???? i'll bleedin BBBUUURRSSSSTTT YA !!! :D

It's funny, because I didn't say how I would actually react, I just said this thread would be full of internet warriors. Referring to noone in particular.
    Very over defensive, aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

I would have turned and said "Any of you guys ever made love to a man?" while casually undoing my belt and fly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Never happened to me, don't really know what I'd do.

I'd probably just keep walking like yourself, although if I was drunk enough I would be stupid enough not to let it go and probably get myself into trouble.

I would have turned and said "Any of you guys ever made love to a man?" while casually undoing my belt and fly!

:D

There was this one scumbag and his "gang" that made our lives miserable when we are young. Maybe 15 or 16.

One day they stole our beer when we were walking back to one of our houses(there were way more of them than us) and they cornered us and took it. That was fine. So we rang my friends older brother who was with all of his friends. (they were all kickboxers)

As the scumbags were sauntering ahead of us and laughing until the older lads pulled up in a car at the bottom of the lane, grabbed the ringleader (his mates predictably ran off), knocked him about a bit, bent him over the bonnet of the car, dropped his trousers, produced a beer bottle and asked him if he'd ever been raped by a bottle.

He cried like a baby.

Never saw him again.

Good times.

Disclaimer: They didn't actually rape him with the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Not the fighting type but one time I was in a chippers after a good night out with friends, seen this girl I know that lives in the same estate as me, she had had a few drinks and was leaning on the counter to keep her upright, I just went over to her to see was she alright and just to say hi in general, conversation lasted less than a minute, she said she was fine and I was like "ok grand, have a good one" and left to join my friends who were waiting outside.

I got outside the door and her skanger of a boyfriend got in my face over talking to his girlfriend, pretty much threatened me. I standing there gobsmacked said "Dude I know her, she is from my estate I was making sure she was alright, ask her if you want" He then says "I don't give a f**k stay away from her or ill kick the head off ya" Pissed me right off. Didn't want to be a statistic of drunken brawls so I just left it. It bugged me for a while afterwards, brought my anger back from secondary school as I had a rough time in school from the same types of people, I thinking "those days are over and I am passed that" and then this prick gets in my face over nothing.

Got my own back on him a few weeks later when I keyed his car for him twice, 2 nasty thick scratches I left on his car. I decided to get my own back in a spiteful way this time. Felt the urge to do it one day when I seen him driving around, jobless skangers shouldn't be allowed on the road. Damn it felt good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I believe the correct etiquette is to turn around and enquire if he is indeed intending to challenge your manhood or as the common parlance has it "starting". As a gentlemen you should then remove your glove and strike him lightly but firmly across the face. Your servant should leave your calling card with the offending gentleman's servant or second.

Dawn is traditional for the arrangements. The principals are to be respectful in meeting, and neither by look or expression irritate each other. They are to be wholly passive, being entirely under the guidance of their seconds. When once posted, they are not to quit their positions under any circumstances, without leave or direction of their seconds.

When the principals are posted, the second giving the word, must tell them to stand firm until he repeats the giving of the word, in the manner it will be given when the parties are at liberty to fire.

Each second has a loaded pistol, in order to enforce a fair combat according to the rules agreed on; and if a principal fires before the word or time agreed on, he is at liberty to fire at him, and if such second’s principal fall, it is his duty to do so.

If after a fire, either party be touched, the duel is to end; and no second is excusable who permits a wounded friend to fight; and no second who knows his duty, will permit his friend to fight a man already hit. I am aware there have been many instances where a contest has continued, not only after slight, but severe wounds, had been received. In all such cases, I think the seconds are blamable.

If after an exchange of shots, neither party be hit, it is the duty of the second of the challengee, to approach the second of the challenger and say: “Our friends have exchanged shots, are you satisfied, or is there any cause why the contest should be continued?”

If the meeting be of no serious cause of complaint, where the party complaining had in no way been deeply injured, or grossly insulted, the second of the party challenging should reply: “The point of honor being settled, there can, I conceive, be no objection to a reconciliation, and I propose that our principals meet on middle ground, shake hands, and be friends.”

If this be acceded to by the second of the challengee, the second of the party challenging, says: “We have agreed that the present duel shall cease, the honor of each of you is preserved, and you will meet on middle ground, shake hands and be reconciled.”

If either principal on the ground refuses to fight or continue the fight when required, it is the duty of his second to say to the other second: “I have come upon the ground with a coward, and do tender you my apology for an ignorance of his character; you are at liberty to post him.” The second, by such conduct, stands excused to the opposite party.

When the duel is ended by a party being hit, it is the duty of the second to the party so hit, to announce the fact to the second of the party hitting, who will forthwith tender any assistance he can command to the disabled principal.

If the party challenging, hit the challengee, it is his duty to say he is satisfied, and will leave the ground. If the challenger be hit, upon the challengee being informed of it, he should ask through his second, whether he is at liberty to leave the ground which should be assented to.

TL;DR I find in the modern age that much of our grievances would be resoved if we were to adopt such civilised methods of settling the hot bloodedness of our younger gentlemen prone to such baccanalian outbursts.

Advertisement