Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AvantCard - MBNA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Odd that beside these boards, there has been little to no reporting of the MBNA to Avant changeover fiasco.
    There was one report in the Indo in which the figure of "tens of thousands of customers" were mentioned as being adversely affected.
    Another source claimed that there are 200,000 card holders in the country.
    Are people just organising their exit quietly and without fuss?
    Are those who are up to their gizzards in debt keeping the head down?
    Are the powers that be keeping a lid on it, fearing that yet another tranche of bad news on the financial front is the last thing we need?
    Is there a fear of turning Carrick into a ghost town, not that it would make much difference to card holders as those of them who actually knew what they were doing don't seem to be there anymore.
    Very odd.
    As for the site, try clicking on forgotten login , fill in your details, for "New Password" just put back the same password (twice), put in your "Personal Message" and you should get the truncated version of your account.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

After trying every day since 15th, I have managed to register on Thursday. I can only see the balance, no transactions, no statements, pretty useless still. It is amazing how many customers they will have lost by this epic changeover fail. If they've spent more on proper changeover, this wouldn't have happened. This short-sightedness is worrying me. MBNA did provide excellent service. When I think back, they've sent replacement card in February, even though expiry of my card was April - after the changeover. Now I'm thinking they predicted that there may be problems with the changeover, and assured the continuity of the service that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

ainiseoir wrote: »
    Odd that beside these boards, there has been little to no reporting of the MBNA to Avant changeover fiasco.

That puzzles me too. I've sent an email to major newspapers, as did a number of other people, so it seems we have forced out an article in 'Indo'.
    Are people just organising their exit quietly and without fuss?
    Are those who are up to their gizzards in debt keeping the head down?
    Are the powers that be keeping a lid on it, fearing that yet another tranche of bad news on the financial front is the last thing we need?

There are still people who are blissfully unaware of all this! I had a conversation with my work colleague on Friday, and he said "It was fine last time I used it, I had the list of transactions and all statements" - as if though I was doing something wrong. When I asked when was this "last time", he replied it was in February! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I eventually registered online last Thursday. Only noticed that any credit card transactions were being refused this week. The card is still not being accepted. You cannot phone customer service on Sunday. Anyone know if they will be available tomorrow, bank holiday Monday?

Was your card refused on your presenting it it at a checkout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

Im nearly afraid to use mine if im out now, I'd do a fair bit of online shopping

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've been using mine for online shopping without any issue. In the last two weeks I've bought a good number of items, all fine.

But, I haven't tried it in a shop recently. I'm due to go on holidays next week, and I will need it to work for that. Things like hotels, car rental, etc will all need a credit card.

Paulw wrote: »
    I've been using mine for online shopping without any issue. In the last two weeks I've bought a good number of items, all fine.

But, I haven't tried it in a shop recently. I'm due to go on holidays next week, and I will need it to work for that. Things like hotels, car rental, etc will all need a credit card.

You might b better trying it b4 u go away? , wouldnt mind b4 this happened I'd bought the kids clothes online now i need nothing, pissing me off i cant see my transactions,

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Was your card refused on your presenting it it at a checkout?

Refused both online and at a checkout. Embarrassing!

If it's OK on line it should be OK elsewhere I reckon.
    One of the multiple choice thingies on phoning them is an option to inform them if you intend using it abroad, a fairly common security thing for cards.
    It should be one way of easing your mind before going away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

I (the wife!) noticed a late payment charge of €15 on my last statement. Rang them up about it yesterday and the lad tried telling me it there was a problem with taking a Direct Debit payment from my bank account and the charge was duly passed on to me.
    They told me my credit rating was not effected and I just accepted it.
    The wife however did not, and pointed out that bank would have charged me rather than them for such an issue.
    When they went to look into it they mentioned a DD was set up on March the 14th this yr. (It was actually set up 3 yrs ago)
    There was no reason such a charge should have been applied as my DD goes out on payday!
    The charge was duly refunded but the fact remains that they charged me for something they shouldn't have,and lied about their actions.
    This outfit come across as a shower of amateurs,I'd be very careful with them and go through my statements with a fine toothed comb in future!

Count your blessings that you have a wee woman who can sniff out skullduggery!
    May I ask what period that statement and when it was issued.
    My last statement was issued by MBNA in February and this lot don't seem to have got it together enough to issue me with a March statement either in paper or on-line.
    You have just provided evidence of the importance of a hard copy.
    Perhaps also another reason to migrate without fanfare to a more established outfit and cutting the cord when all is cleared. I know our lot won't get any Nobel prizes but importing an unknown entity from the PIGS area didn't fill me with confidence.
    So it has proved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Used my card online and in shops without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

My last statement was issued by MBNA in February and this lot don't seem to have got it together enough to issue me with a March statement either in paper or on-line.

Same here, no statement of any kind. There is merely a total figure available online which looks way out of whack (too high, of course). Will have to ring AvantCard first thing Tuesday. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Can anyone tell me are they able to log in today?

I am getting as far as my memorable word but its not letting me past that page, just refreshing so i have to reenter the characters again

tks

neonitrix

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

neonitrix wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me are they able to log in today?

I just logged in fine.

Carbon125 wrote: »
    Same here, no statement of any kind. There is merely a total figure available online which looks way out of whack (too high, of course). Will have to ring AvantCard first thing Tuesday. :mad:

Best of luck.
    Prepare for a long session!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lighthouse991

We should have received two statements for both our cards last week, but none arrived.

Also, looking at Payment Due dates in April, for both cards they have changed e.g. where it used to be around 23-26 of the month, now shows 19th.... where it used to be 19th, it's now 13th??? Total joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Finally managed to log in and check my balance. It appears my last payment went through okay. (i.e last bill has been paid) however balance does still look high, however can't look at transactions. Wonder how much longer this will continue.

Got my statement last week, transaction i checked on went thru, still cant get on online :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 mikkijan

I managed to Register at last and can see the overview for the main card.

Then tried to add the other card but it says the info isn't correct (it IS correct, I double checked everything).

I tried that a couple more times then gave up and phoned and the automated voice gave me the balance details, so now at least I know that the payment I sent last week through the established online transfer from my bank has been received by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 snowman_tree

Hi,
    I had to order my new avantcard last monday (25th March) gone! Does any one know how long its going to take to get my new card?and how long it will take to activite it once received? Help is much appreciated! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 topazale

I have tried for over a week now to contact Advant Card to Activate my new card. It does not recognise the old or new card details online and I cannot get it sorted of the automated service, because it does not recognise the card there either AND I can't get a live person on the phone! And thats if it even rings!!! More times its engaged!! At this point I'm just gonna tell them to stuff their damn credit card!! Outrageous fees and interest rates too. Fortunately I don't owe them anything at this point. This takeover is a disaster if they cannot continue as was.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Logged on, wow! :D

Notice that even though its 7 working days since I transferred the money to pay the CC that the balance is still the same! It used to take 4 days with MBNA.

**SHAKES HEAD**

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I got registered and made my payment last friday. lord knows when it'll show up on their system. my payment deadline is friday the 5th, if they come on claiming I made a late payment I'll go fuppin mental.

Can anyone help with my query????? Please

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hi,
    I had to order my new avantcard last monday (25th March) gone! Does any one know how long its going to take to get my new card?and how long it will take to activite it once received? Help is much appreciated! Thanks

Long does it take, if they said they sent it then a few days. If its to go through the whole process of verification and all that, probably a couple of weeks.

Activate, take your pick, look at the replies on here, some are activating immediately, others are taking days!

I will be telling them to stick the card now this week.

yop wrote: »
    Long does it take, if they said they sent it then a few days. If its to go through the whole process of verification and all that, probably a couple of weeks.

Activate, take your pick, look at the replies on here, some are activating immediately, others are taking days!

I will be telling them to stick the card now this week.

Thanks for the reply, Ya I just want to see how long has it taken others to get there card from ordering the new one!....

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

Avantcard seem to be cutting off all means of communication. When I try to ring them, the phone just cuts off immediately. I think there is more to this than meets the eye to be honest. Absolute shambles of a company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Can't take anymore of these clowns (I know it's not the customer service guys' fault).

Got through this morning and their system gave me someone else's transactions! I've applied to AIB and been preliminarily approved for their platinum Visa.

Going to pay off the Avantcard after my last transaction tonight, once the balance hits zero, I'm going to close it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement