Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

zerks wrote: »
    Looking at this a pressie for my young fella so it doesn't need all the bells & whistles and won't break the bank,any thoughts?

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/511536211-FreeShipping-Ainol-Novo7-Tornados-Capacitive-Andriod-4-0-3-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-DDR3-1GB-8GB-Tablet-wholesalers.html

Shop around, you should be able to get this for about $85-$90. No point going up to $100 and beyond.

Nice tablet, not sure of the GPU, but, seemingly, it has no problems playing back HD content.

Very cleanly designed, but.. keep in mind the following:

Screen resolution: 800x480

No dedicated charger port. Charging must be done through USB. This can take a while..

Quick overview.

Reading around, this seems to be the current replacement for the Ainol Paladin. I don't know if there are any CPU issues like the Paladin though, if apps need to be specially compiled or not. I'd have to browse\read a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

zerks wrote: »
    Looking at this a pressie for my young fella so it doesn't need all the bells & whistles and won't break the bank,any thoughts?

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/511536211-FreeShipping-Ainol-Novo7-Tornados-Capacitive-Andriod-4-0-3-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-DDR3-1GB-8GB-Tablet-wholesalers.html

Just got 2 delivered today for the kids so will be setting them up over the next few days, I'll let you know if there are any issues and hopefully have a good review of them!!! :D

Just a quick update on the tabs, first impressions are not great. The stock ROM on it is chinese based, a lot of bloatware in chinese that is useless to us and I can't uninstall it, just delete it from the main screen so the kids don't accidently go into them. Had to switch keyboards as well as they had it defaulting to some crazy english/chinese hybrid. Also had a few phantom selections where I wasn't touching the screen but it started going into options and selecting things, I ended up looking at a French tab for about 10mins as it changed the language option and hadn't a clue where to change it!!

I have looked online for a different ROM to flash it with but no joy on a dedicated one for the Tornado just yet, but hopefully one will come out. If it does it will make this one of the best budget tabs out there because underneath the hood it is a great machine. I also have a 10" Zenithinkpad and to be honest I find the Tornados to be a bit quicker and they have a more responsive screen. Colours are bright and sharp on-screen and the whole build quality feels good (for a cheap tab!).

Games were smooth to play and movies were great too. Skype works fine on it but the webcam is fairly poor but that is to be expected. Battery life is good also, 5hrs+ of constant gaming and movies. It comes with a USB charger and to be honest it charged fairly quickly from the PC so no problems there.

Overall I would not recommend it though, simply because they need to sort out the phantom screen press issue, I have the latest firmware on it and it still happens. If they do fix this (and maybe a more European friendly ROM) then I have no problem recommending. Overall I paid €90 each including delivery and customs charges so I still think it's a bargain. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Anybody buy from here?

I got a 16gb micro sim off them. Anybody get a tablet?

This looks like good value: http://www.memorycards.ie/consumer-electronics/laptop-computers/tablet-pcs-android-tablets/vida-it-subra-7-inch-1-5ghz-4gb-android-2-3-tablet-pc-512mb-ddr3.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Dub XV wrote: »

It's only got 512mb ram for a start. Most of the 7" tabs have 1gb ram now.

Btw, Ainol have just released the Elf II (dual-core) - a few people on Slatedroid forum have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I know this thread is going a while don't have time to read it all :(
    B/day coming up and treating myself to a cheapish tablet had my folks Archos one (the older version) 10 inch on hols and found it great for the plane for watching films, surfing the net while away etc.
    So did anyone find a good cheapish 10inch tablet with expandable memory, good for watching films, access to android market and can do some surfing etc. Don't need all the bells and whistles.

DVD-Lots wrote: »

Great thanks for that - it looks very good did anyone go for the Keyboard case?

Saw this one there as well it says upgrade I am not that techy but is there much difference between the 2- its seems cheaper am I missing something?
    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/498953064-2012-hot-wholesale-10-2-zenithink-zt280-c91-upgrade-cortex-A9-capacitive-android-4-0-8GB-wholesalers.html

No difference except for postage as far as I can see. Don't use the china post option, always go for a brand courier. UPS Expeditaed with Eternal is $26 whilst the other crowd are charging $36 for DHL as the cheapest option.

Also bear in mind you will probably have a customs charge when it gets here, mine was €26 more payable to UPS on delivery.

Finally, make sure you get an SD card, I got mine from mymemory.co.uk - here's a similar one http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/SanDisk/SanDisk-16GB-Micro-SD-%28SDHC%29-Cards---Class-4-%2B-SDHC-Adaptor

And if you are going to stream to a TV get a miniHDMI cable. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭doctorg

Any news on the Aurora 2? I am looking to buy it ASAP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Holy crap if anyone wants a massive performance boost to their Ainol Novo7 Palidin you have to install this mod:

http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/paladin-firmware-rom/paladin-custom-rom-pinkflozd-600.html

The main download link in that tutorial is broken but you can use one of the links in post # 1032 in that thread on this page:

http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/paladin-firmware-rom/paladin-custom-rom-pinkflozd-600-104.html

Its actually useable now, Ive been watching Youtube on it all evening because its so slick, got a load of comics and videos on it and Im going to actually start using it, its been gathering dust since I got it, its way faster and a proper Android device now, you can install apps from the market and they just work instead of the constant errors with the way it is before you flash, apps all open and work way faster now.

I cant believe it, this modding crap never works out for me :D

One warning I will give because this took me an hour to figure out, follow these instructions below, specifically wipe the Dalvik Cache in Clockworkmod before you run update.zip and after the update completes before you reboot, another warning is that it will be really slow and stuttering for the first couple of times after the flash because of all the new apps that are installed, just give it a chance to finish and it'll be perfect after a while and a reboot:
    My version of his instructions (simplified!) are to:
    a. First install ClockworkMod Recovery (you just did this in step 2, so ignore this step)
    b. Make a backup of your system in ClockworkMod recovery (you just did this in step 3, so ignore this step)
    c. Put the zip on sdcard (this zip: DOWNLOAD 0.7.20120214, or an updated version if this no longer works – see the link above).
    d. Apply the Update in ClockworkMod Recovery AND clear your Dalvik Cache ( copy the downloaded zip file to the root of your sd-card; reboot using ClockworkMod recovery; choose “install zip from SD card; allow it to complete, then once back at the menu choose “advanced” then “Wipe Dalvik Cache”)
    e. Reboot
    Note: If you follow all of the instructions above (including clearing the Dalvic cache before rebooting) everything should work fine, BUT I missed that step and still could not use YouTube from within the NineSky browser. Because of my mistake I had to use ClockworkMod to “wipe cache partition”, ”Wipe Dalvik Cache”, and “wipe data/factory reset”. This meant I had to then manually reinstall many apps, but everything works beautifully, eventually! ;-) Follow the forum thread above if you need further clarification (or confusion from contradictory posts!)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Just a heads up for anyone looking for a cheap tablet.

The New Ainol Tornados can be got here for €66 delivered by dhl(2-8days).

If you've to pay import duty it'd be around 20e extra, still very cheap.

They also have 10% off other Ainol tablets, have a look here.

• brimal wrote: »
    Dub XV wrote: »

It's only got 512mb ram for a start. Most of the 7" tabs have 1gb ram now.

Btw, Ainol have just released the Elf II (dual-core) - a few people on Slatedroid forum have it
    Avoid as it does not have a capacitive touch screen and not enough RAM. I can't be 100% sure but i don't think Google Play store is properly supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Avoid as it does not have a capacitive touch screen and not enough RAM. I can't be 100% sure but i don't think Google Play store is properly supported.

Says in the description its capacitive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

*Is Google play that much of a must? *Can other markets like Slideme and 1market fill in or are they missing key apps?

*Since most apk can be found one way or another, is Google play a deal breaker?

*genuine questions.

I have 2 of these and I can confirm that it is capacitive and it does support Google Play. It is a nippy tablet but has the phantom screen press issue occassionally and the stock ROM is chinese based so you would need to flash with a better one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

doctorg wrote: »
    Any news on the Aurora 2? I am looking to buy it ASAP :)

Its due in Gadgetfreakz on 27th June

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

manu2009 wrote: »
    Just a heads up for anyone looking for a cheap tablet.

The New Ainol Tornados can be got here for €66 delivered by dhl(2-8days).

If you've to pay import duty it'd be around 20e extra, still very cheap.

They also have 10% off other Ainol tablets, have a look here.

Argh, why did I look at this thread ha! Went on and had a look at it, thats serous value for the Tornados, but I ended up ordering the ElF2 instead! I don't really have a major use for a tablet but its just too tempting not to get one ha! Times like this that knowing your credit card number off by heart and buying on impulse are very annoying ha :P

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    No difference except for postage as far as I can see. Don't use the china post option, always go for a brand courier. UPS Expeditaed with Eternal is $26 whilst the other crowd are charging $36 for DHL as the cheapest option.

Also bear in mind you will probably have a customs charge when it gets here, mine was €26 more payable to UPS on delivery.

Finally, make sure you get an SD card, I got mine from mymemory.co.uk - here's a similar one http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/SanDisk/SanDisk-16GB-Micro-SD-%28SDHC%29-Cards---Class-4-%2B-SDHC-Adaptor

And if you are going to stream to a TV get a miniHDMI cable. ;)

Cheers ordered one with 8gb card and case with keyboard deal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ThatLadThere

This may have been covered somewhere previously in the thread but wheres best to buy Ainol Novo 7 ELF II online from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I did a search of boards and couldn't find any mention of these , read a review and it seem fairly ok . Anyone here have an opinion ?

http://www.ebuyer.com/341447-sumvision-cyclone-astro-tablet-pc-sumv-astrocyctab

Review

jonski wrote: »
    I did a search of boards and couldn't find any mention of these , read a review and it seem fairly ok . Anyone here have an opinion ?

http://www.ebuyer.com/341447-sumvision-cyclone-astro-tablet-pc-sumv-astrocyctab

Review
    The reviewer doesnt sound like they know much about tablets to be honest, might want to seek more opinions first. Could be worth waiting for the Ainol 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭doctorg

Thargor wrote: »
    The reviewer doesnt sound like they know much about tablets to be honest, might want to seek more opinions first. Could be worth waiting for the Ainol 2.

The ainol 2?? I am guessing you mean Aurora 2

Its been out a while you can get it on amazon at the moment.

Heres another good cheap tablet @ £70: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008B68BQU

Thats exactly what I meant, sorry about that.

In my opinion you should not be scrimping on these cheapo tablets, that 30 Euro you save going for something that costs less than €100 isnt worth it when you end up with an unuseable browsing experience that means you fire it in a drawer and never touch it again.

I have the Ainol Novo 7 Paladin, my brother gave it to me when someone brought it back from Asia to him. After much hassle I managed to wipe it and install a custom rom then overclock it, now its barely useable, I use it as a handheld comic reader mostly and for that its fine, but for browsing in bed or away from the pc the screen just isnt anywhere near as nice as my phone and nowhere near as fast either, most cheap tablets are like this.

Have a look at this instead:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056677430

Thats a good deal, spend the extra 100/150 and get a proper smooth tablet experience that will serve you well for years. Browsing and apps on that will be night and day compared to these horrible slow tablets, when you see one in the flesh stuttering and struggling with the most basic of tasks it will put you off buying them so if any of your friends have one then definitely try before you buy.

• I wanted to get a cheap tablet for my son who basically wanted to play some games and watch videos on YouTube.
    After doing a lot of research decided to spend a bit more for quality and got the Sony Tablet S for €330 in powercity. Not sure that the sub €100 tablets are actual value for money at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Can't see that Sony on the PowerCity website. Any link to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Just got my Elf2 yesterday, from a seller on Aliexpress.com. Got stung for 20quid customs from DHL though :(, so it worked out at 140e all in, including a keyboard leather case (which I'll admit I don't know if I'll have much use for, the touch keyboard is well up to the job, but it was only 15dollars extra).

The android version on it from stock was fairly rubbish, with alot of chinese apps dotted around the place, however I'm just after throwing a custom ROM on (http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/34586-elf-iirom-updated-darkelf-custom-rom-for-ainol-novo7-elf-ii/) now, which was remarkably easy to do, that has given me google play, youtube and aload of other stuff.

All in all I'm certainly happy with it, no lag at all in the tablet, I have a SGS2 also and was sort of afraid that if I got a cheap tablet it wouldn't be a patch on the galaxy and would only frustrate me, but not at all!

• Advertisement

• Soarer wrote: »
    Can't see that Sony on the PowerCity website. Any link to it?
    I mistyped the price. I paid €330. Its advertised on their site under the Android Tablets for €359 but as I did, you can ask then to knock €30 off. Am using mobile so I cant add the link to this message
    One deadly feature is you can set it up to use as a remote control for all your devices in the house (TV, UPC box etc).

Advertisement