Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Agreed.

I love the Dowager Countess of Grantham, we are seeing a really kind and sensitive side to her tonight. Maggie Smith is a wonderful actress, I couldn't imagine anyone else in the role now.

"I have a cold" she sniffed at the "wedding" - brilliant! Maggie Smith rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

SarahBM wrote: »
    "I have a cold" she sniffed at the "wedding" - brilliant! Maggie Smith rocks!
    It has to be said that Julian Fellows has written some wonderful lines for her too.

It has to be said that Julian Fellows has written some wonderful lines for her too.

Brilliant writing this wk. The Dowager Countess does get some wonderful lines, as does Mrs. Hughes "I may not be a woman of the world but I wasnt born in a sack" LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Poor Daisy, she looked absolutely gorgeous for the wedding! Real little cinderella. Poor William. I really liked him as a character. :( I had to compose myself several times watching this....nearly cried!

Mrs. Bates...what a bitch....I hope everything works out for Bates. Loving the Branson story line too! <3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Can't believe there are only two episodes left in this series. Far too short!

At least there's the Christmas special :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Not bad episode, the first one I enjoyed in a long time. The war is almost over at this point, the battle at the start was Amiens, according to the text at the start. That was the beginning of the 100 Days Offensive, though it ended after 95 days on Nov 11th.

I thought for a while, given the dubious medical information (it was way too early to tell if Matthew would be completely impotent) that they were paving the way to show the false assumptions made by early 20th century doctors and that William would pull through and Daisy would be stuck married to him. As we hadn't actually died yet I'm still a bit suspicious that will happen.

At this point the 2nd wave of Spanish Flu epidemic would be getting under way. I wonder if Fellows will use it to off a few of the barrier characters. Look out for Vera Bates or Richard Carlisle coughing or sneezing next week. It'll be the back of them.

iguana wrote: »
    As we hadn't actually died yet I'm still a bit suspicious that will happen.
    He did die at the end though? When Mr Mason said to Daisy that William doesn't need her anymore now, it was because he'd just passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just William died at the end

He doesn't need anyone anymore

Crap I forgot that bit. I was remembering Bates telling Mary that it wouldn't be long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I've enjoyed the second season, but it requires you to leave a portion of your brain at the door due to its inaccuracy, but its not meant to be a documentary!

Last nights episode was good, I'm pretty sure William is dead.

I hate Daisy though, she has consistently been the most irritating character for me.

• Advertisement

the one criticism I have of this season is the jumping forward in time. Is it me, or did Ethel have an extremely short pregnancy?!?!?
    I do also like the references to the war of independence in Ireland and 1916. Branson is our link to whats happening in Europe, which I like.

But that Vera wan, what is she going to get up to? now that she cant dump Lady Mary in it. I think she will go for Anna (poor innocent Anna:rolleyes:)

is there really only 2 eps left?

the one criticism I have of this season is the jumping forward in time. Is it me, or did Ethel have an extremely short pregnancy?!?!?

That's not unique to this series. Both seasons have spanned 2 years or so. Season One one sped through the years also - I think there was practically a year's gap between episodes 5 and 6 of last season.
    is there really only 2 eps left?

Yeah :(

• Registered Users Posts: 84,745 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Downton Abbey has been picked up for a third series by ITV

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Downton Abbey has been picked up for a third series by ITV
    This is great news, I'm thrilled !!!!!! :)

can I just say Lord Grantham getting it on in the pantry with the maid!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

wow! I could see it coming but didnt expect him to make the first move!

and I was delighted to see Thomas get his come-uppins. :D

Glad they've finally officially confirmed. All knew it was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

I think my favourite is still "What's a weekend?" - great line but it's the delivery that really makes it.

Misty Moon wrote: »
    I think my favourite is still "What's a weekend?" - great line but it's the delivery that really makes it.

And the way Cousin Violet plotted and planned to get rid of Isobelle by getting her to go help with the refugees. evil genius. LOL "You must go where you are needed!" brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I thought they could have done more with the cousin Patrick story, the burned solider from Canada

Issues with relations and inheritance was huge for their families with their titles and riches and sometimes debts.

Just seemed tacked on for one episode as a filler, it didn't go anywhere and conveniently ended with a goodbye note

I know it's an incredibly expensive production, a pity they could not have an extra few episodes, it's racing

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

The end of the Patrick story seemed to have escaped me :o

Was he for real? did he own up to being a con in the letter. Yes a major plot development yet no mention of it in next episode, business as usual!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The Patrick story was a bit unsatisfying, but it did clearly demonstrate Ediths evolution from a narky soul to one who is kind, generous and caring.

mikemac wrote: »
    I thought they could have done more with the cousin Patrick story, the burned solider from Canada

Issues with relations and inheritance was huge for their families with their titles and riches and sometimes debts.

Just seemed tacked on for one episode as a filler, it didn't go anywhere and conveniently ended with a goodbye note

I know it's an incredibly expensive production, a pity they could not have an extra few episodes, it's racing
    I have a weird feeling about this one. I reckon that there is going to be more from Patrick in the future. Maybe, he will die and verification will come that he was the real Patrick afterwards, leaving the family feeling really guilty.

On the other hand, maybe I have an overactive imagination :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mrs Ron Burgundy

Liz, I think you're right -
    leaving Lord Grantham free to take up with the maid!!!

I think you've gotten a bit mixed up there. I do think liz is right though, thats who I was thinking aswell.

Sorry, you are correct, I got her confused with another character :(

I think
    Lavinia will die

That's what I've been expecting since she was introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Sounds very plausible. A real soapy cop out by the writers though to solve the Mary/Mathew problem and how to keep that one going - but in line with the low standards of the show's plot.
    The setting is attractive, it all looks gorgeous, the actors are all good looking - but boy is the plot junk. Such a shame they couldnt come up with something more substantial. Sub Coronation Street or Eastenders for all its beautiful packaging.

I think you've gotten a bit mixed up there. I do think liz is right though, thats who I was thinking aswell.
    Yep. I'll be very surprised if it's not her who snuffs it.

Cannot wait for tonights episode!

• Advertisement

Me either. But the sooner it starts the sooner it's all over :(

Advertisement