Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kid friendly Pixelmon server ?

• 29-01-2015 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭

7 yo avid MC player has now started asking to join online servers. In particular a Pixelmon server.

In terms of protection, is there a term that means "no chat function between players" ?

Is there anything else parents should be looking out for ?

Can people get around server restrictions ?

Many thanks, please excuse noob questions

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

long_b wrote: »
    7 yo avid MC player has now started asking to join online servers. In particular a Pixelmon server.

In terms of protection, is there a term that means "no chat function between players" ?

Is there anything else parents should be looking out for ?

Can people get around server restrictions ?

Many thanks, please excuse noob questions

Most servers are open chat tbh, but there are plugins to prevent ingame chat and there's no workarounds for it either.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about playing on a Pixelmon server. Most people there are likeminded and even with chat will probably be more helpful to your kid than vanilla servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Jebus, feel out of touch. My kids have this on pc now and are starting to ask about online play and I have no idea what I'm looking at/or for. Never really been big into online and has always been on consoles when I did venture online.

Found this article http://www.brightpips.com/11-family-friendly-minecraft-servers-where-your-kid-can-play-safely-online/

Has a load of server suggestions, but I think I'm more paranoid now than I was before I read it. And there's a thing called Griefing? So people go around trashing other people's creations?

Definite Grandpa Simpson moment for me here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Jebus, feel out of touch. My kids have this on pc now and are starting to ask about online play and I have no idea what I'm looking at/or for. Never really been big into online and has always been on consoles when I did venture online.

Found this article http://www.brightpips.com/11-family-friendly-minecraft-servers-where-your-kid-can-play-safely-online/

Has a load of server suggestions, but I think I'm more paranoid now than I was before I read it. And there's a thing called Griefing? So people go around trashing other people's creations?

Definite Grandpa Simpson moment for me here.

Yeah griefing can be a problem, but servers normally have a recovery tool or anti-griefing plugins to prevent damage to structures.

Advertisement